Fall 05

Fallen

 

Silence reigned the air. Se Hun was too tense to drop his guard. Me on the other hand, was too shocked to speak; I could still feel the hair on my neck rising.

My hands were still on the small of Se Hun’s back, gripping tightly onto his T-shirt. Due to lack of strength, I let go and my knees failed me.

“Hey. Are you okay?” Se Hun caught me just before my body contacted the ground. All traces of his anxiousness from before vanished.

I looked up and stared straight into his eyes.

“Oh Se Hun.”

I saw him swallow uneasily, but his facial features remained calm. “Yes?”

“What was that?”

“What was what?”

I turned to narrow my eyes at him as I straightened myself up from his embrace. “That” I pointed my finger at the spot where the veiled figures vanished.

Se Hun heaved a sigh, but kept his arms steady around me my waist. “Can we go back? I’m hungry. I want Ramen”

I stared at him in disbelief “We almost got robbed! Or maybe killed! Those weird star-war-like creatures even know you. How do you explain that? And who the heck is she?”

“First of all, there are no such things as star war creatures in real life,” Se Hun stated casually, brushing dust off his shoulders “Secondly, they don’t know me.  You might’ve just heard it wrong. There is no she.

“First of all, what kind of people wear cloaked stuff that doesn’t even show their faces around the streets here in summer?” I retorted, “Secondly, I’m pretty sure they said Oh Se Hun and she, unless they were chanting some weird stuff.”

“Yeah, they were probably chanting some weird stuff” He shrugged, slipped his arm loose from my waist and started to walk away, taking the undamaged packs of ramen with him.

I rolled my eyes and followed. Sighing, I put my hand on my chest, feeling my heart thump furiously. Whether it was because of Se Hun’s touch, or the vanished veiled figures, I wasn’t so sure.

I walked behind him quietly in thought, feeling myself frown in confusion. But robberies barely happen in a small town like this.

Suddenly, I bumped into something sturdy. Annoyed, I looked up only to find that Oh Se Hun had stopped walking, I slapped his shoulders “Don’t just stop suddenly.”

“Jae”, he breathed, almost like a whisper, “were you scared?” I shivered at the sound of his voice.

The male turned back to face me. I searched his features for any hint of satire, but there was none, only sincerity and seriousness.

“I…” I opened my mouth to reply. I realized that in fact, I was scared.

“Hmm?” He urged

“I was scared. But…” I looked up “Thanks for protecting me” I whispered the last part, a little unsure.

I looked up; his reaction took me by surprised. The male’s eyes were soft, tingling with sensitivity and happiness. His lips curved crookedly into a smile. It almost made me forget how to breathe.

For a moment we just stared at each other, under the dim streetlight. His dark brown eyes so deep, so alluring.

I coughed and managed to pull away in time, to stop myself from leaning in, to step over the boundary.

“Lets go” I spluttered awkwardly and walked forward. He caught up in no time.

The rest of the journey back to the apartment was filled with silence. But once in a while I couldn’t stop myself from staring at the side profile of his face. Outlined by his high nose bridge, thin elusive lips, his features seem to be perfect.

But something was off, definitely off.

The veiled figures from before weren’t something to be dismissed easily. I glanced up at him, slightly edgy; he still owed me an explanation. A big one.

Everything just now screamed danger. Everything.

I was deep in thought by the time we reached the doors of the building. I walked up towards the elevator absentmindedly, pressing the button.

“Yah”

I looked up, yelping when I felt a flick on my forehead. “What was that for?”

Se Hun raised his eyebrows towards the elevator button.

“Oops” I laughed, realizing I pressed the down button.

Swiftly the male pressed his finger onto the green button and shook his head. Casually, he leaned one shoulder against the wall and stared at me.

I couldn’t help the slight blush that crossed my cheeks. “What. Do I have something on my face?”

He shook his head gently and sighed. “Nothing, I’m just hungry.”

“Oh right. Speaking of food, can you give me back my 2 packs of Ramen now?” I asked, extending my hand towards the plastic bag.

Before I could reach it, it was lifted high up in the hair, away from my grasp. I frowned and looked up, Se Hun was smirking, his lips tugged smugly to one side.

I narrowed my eyes at his expression. “Oh Se Hun”

“I’m going to go in with you anyways, I’ll just hold it, no need to fuss.” He replied casually, eyes shining with playfulness.

I almost choked at his words.

“What?”

“What what?”

“What did you say just now?” I sighed in disbelief. “Going in with me? Where? Oh the elevator, ah yes the elevator, that's right.”

“Yeah. But not just the elevator.” His smirk was still there, evident on his pale and impeccable face. “I wasn’t kidding when I said I needed to borrow you just now.”

A chill ran down my spine, the tone of his voice was so light and humorous yet I could feel something else within. Something dangerous, unknown…

The elevator arrived just in time and I stepped in, Se Hun followed suit. I debated internally whether or not to actually let him in. I could almost hear the beating of my heart as I considered all the possibilities.

What if…

Ding

The elevator arrived on 6th floor.

Oh Se Hun walked towards my apartment door naturally, as if he’s been here many time before.

I raised my eyebrows, my skin tingling with Goosebumps.

“How’d you know I live in 602? Not 601 or 603?” I asked, cautious.

He drew a set of familiar keys from his pocket and inserted my house key into the slot.

I reached into my shorts pocket where I put my keys. They weren’t inside.

“How did you…”

“You dropped it while you were trying to reach for the Ramen just now outside the elevator” He replied insouciantly.

I was still doubtful.

Se Hun held up his hands, claiming innocence and backed away as I pushed the door open. I walked inside, stuffing my flip-flops under the shoe cabinet.

Hands poised on the handle, Se Hun arched his eyebrows as if asking May I?

I nodded, lacking the excuse to say otherwise. “Don’t worry, no one’s home.”

“The whole night?”

Immediately I realized it might not have been the smartest thing to say.

“Uh Viey might be coming later” I muttered and turned towards the kitchen.

I could hear him chuckle.

This was a bad idea.