Six

Joseon's Little Mermaid

                                                  http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4g5un2IjJ1rvkw8jo1_1280.png

 

 

 

 

 

“They say that that love never lasts long. But I think otherwise.” Baekhyun smiled as he Eun Ae’s hair.

            “What do you mean, husband?” She stared into his deep brown orbs.

            “Love is a confusing feeling, isn’t it?”

            “Surely it is,”

            “But then, once love touches your heart, everything becomes clear to you, and then love never loses its grip,”

            “Where did you get those words?”   

            “Oh, just from somebody I once knew and cherish.”       

Flashback:

            Baekhyun was restless, and he couldn’t sleep that night. He tossed and turned, when he heard soft, quiet footsteps approaching. He felt a presence next to his body, even though he was pretending to be sleeping. Even though Yeonhae didn’t recognize it, every single word that she spoke, traveled to Baekhyun’s ears. He laid there, listening to this soft, unfamiliar melodic voice. Just when the person was going to leave, Baekhyun reached out and grabbed her wrist. Gasping, she turned around to face him. *It was Yeonhae* He smiled sadly.

            “You know that I only love you as a little sister. Don’t put yourself at a risk for a person like me,” His eyes bore into her soul as she looked at him with those pleading eyes.

            The only think he could hear and feel, was one perfectly formed tear, escape from her eyes, and land on his wrist. He could hear the clatter of the blade, and he could feel Yeonhae’s features disappearing into the air. The wrist that he was gripping on had vanished. In shock, Baekhyun had searched everywhere for her body, but it was never found.

            Back in the palace where Yeonhae used to reside, there was no sign of her appearance. Her sisters, the Queen Dowager, and the King mourned over her death for years until they died, and more people would take their place.

            But was Yeonhae dead? Sure she was, but there was also another thing that Yeonhae had, but the Little Mermaid didn’t.

            Yeonhae’s soul was still living.

100 Years Later:

            It was a chilly morning, and Han Sooyun had stepped out of her warm home to battle the cold path to work. Tightening the scarf that was wrapped around her neck, she headed to her work, where she was a barista. Sooyun was still a sophomore in college, but she decided she needed to be independent for her future. Opening the doors into the cozy coffee shop, she smiled.

            “Good morning!” She bowed and put on her apron.

            The first customers filed in a line. It was a busy morning as always, because people needed to get to work, but they needed something to wake them up.

            “A pumpkin spice latte with extra cream please,” A man asked.

            “Coming right up, that would be $5.40 please.” Sooyun tapped her fingers as the man got out his cash. “Thank you, enjoy your drink!”

            “One caramel Frappuccino with extra caramel,”

            “A Frappuccino on a cold morning?” Sooyun giggled.

            The lady smiled at her friendliness, “For my daughter,”

            Sooyun nodded in understanding but was curious as to why she would want something that could potentially make her body weaker, “How old is she?”

            “Seven,”

            “Hmm, she’s such a pretty girl! I’ll be right back with your Frappuccino. $4 dollars since it’s for your daughter,” Sooyun winked as she went to make it.

            “Here you go, sweetie. Enjoy your day at school, hmm?”

            “Thank you, unni!” The little girl laughed happily.

            The rest of the workday went a little slower, except for the afternoon, since that was when everyone’s lunch break was. Time went by slowly from then on, boring Sooyun to death. When Sooyun’s shift was about to be over; another customer came. *I guess I’ll be nice and do this last one.*

            “Good afternoon, how may I help you?” Sooyun forced a smile. *He looks familiar, or am I seeing things?*

            “Have we met before?” The guy winked at her.

            Sooyun raised her eyebrow, “Ahjussi, I don’t do pickup lines,”

            “But that wasn’t a pickup line,”

            “Well Ahjussi, if you haven’t noticed, this is a coffee shop, not a bar. The bar is over that way,” Sooyun pointed to the left in annoyance.

            “Then can I tell you a story?”

            “No,”

            “Please, just a short one!” He begged.

            Sooyun felt bad, so she agreed, because she wanted to know what this story was about.

            “Have you ever heard of the story, Joseon’s Little Mermaid?

            “No, I haven’t. Go on,”

            “Alright then, hmmm, where should I begin? Oh ok. There was no other thing that Han Yeonhae wanted to do more, then be outside and enjoy the warmth of the sun on her pale skin. But no. She had to be cooped up inside the red Palace walls, serving her duties as the youngest princess.” The guy explained.

            When he finished, Sooyun let out a hearty laugh. “Yeonhae is a fool, she didn’t even know that he loved her back! That guy is stupid also. He’s blind for not knowing that she was the one who saved him. By the way, what is your name?”

            The guy ignored her and smirked. Sooyun stared at him in awe as he left the shop, and made his way out the door, causing a cold rush of air blow in her face. She looked down, only to see a lotus plant, with a white note attached to the side of the pot.

Unfolding the note, she read,

            ‘I’ve taken care of this lotus for you, even though it hasn’t fully blossomed yet. Remember me?

                                                                                    From: Baekhyun

            P.S. Curiosity can kill the cat.’


Thank you my subbies for reading this story!!!!!! Saranghaeyo!

THANK YOU SOO SOO SOO MUCH!! I HOPE YOU ENJOYED IT :D Please share this story with others! XD

Love you to Exo planet and back!

-K-DramaAddict

Edit: I have posted a foreward for my newest fanfic! Check it out! Daughter of Venus, Raised by Mars