Five

Joseon's Little Mermaid

                                                                           http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4g5un2IjJ1rvkw8jo1_1280.png

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun had taken Yeonhae to the garden that night, to let out his anger and frustration with his parents.

“My parents are forcing me to marry this girl I don’t even know. Does that sound ridiculous to you?” Baekhyun exclaimed as if Yeonhae hadn’t heard already. 

Yeonhae nodded, and seated herself by the pond, once again looking at the lotus.

“I would rather marry you, then a person that I don’t know.” He muttered, bringing a small smile on Yeonhae’s lips. Baekhyun noticed Yeonhae’s eyes focused on the lotus, and he knelt down to pick it up.

“The lotus has fully blossomed now, isn’t it beautiful?” 

Yeonhae took it carefully from his hands, and examined it. The leaves were a refreshing green, and the petals were a soft pink, symbolizing its beauty. Baekhyun laid down on the soft patch of grass, and gazed up at the twinkling stars. Yeonhae placed the lotus next to her, and also laid down next to Baekhyun.

*I wish we could stay like this forever.* The corners of her lips tugged into a smile, as she turned her head. Baekhyun’s eyes were closed, and he was sleeping peacefully. Yeonhae closed her eyes, and reminisced the memories that were enclosed in her heart with Baekhyun. There were so many that occupied her mind. Her thoughts wondered to how her family was doing. Were they grieving? Or were they living as if nothing happened. After a few minutes, she too, fell into a deep slumber.

Baekhyun’s eyes fluttered open to the peaceful sound of birds chirping, and the sound of leaves rustling. He turned his head to see a Yeonhae fast asleep next to him. He her delicate skin, and proceeded to wake her up.

Yeonhae woke up to a soft voice calling her name. She looked up to see Baekhyun’s luminous face inches away from hers.

“It’s time to go now,” He smiled.

Yeonhae nodded and brushed the grass off of her dress. When she got in, maids ushered her into her room to change into new clothing. She stepped out in a simple but sophisticated pink and yellow hanbok , and her grandmother’s hairpin.

“You look beautiful as always,” The Queen complimented Yeonhae, as she stepped down from her seat. “I believe you are going with Baekhyun to meet our friend’s daughter?”

Yeonhae smiled and nodded.

“Please take care of him well, dear. I’ll put my trust in you.” The Queen’s eyes gave a warm aura, and she lead Yeonhae to the…metal box. *Of course I will take care of him for he is the reason why I am here.*

Yeonhae hesitated before she stepped in.

“Don’t be afraid. You are safe with me,” Baekhyun’s voice rang in her ear.

Feeling assured and secured, Yeonhae stepped inside the metal box and seated herself next to Baekhyun.

“This is called a car by the way,” He explained.

*A car?* Yeonhae took in her surroundings, as the car began to move. Minutes passed by, and soon, they were all nodding off. Yeonhae felt the weight of Baekhyun’s head on her shoulder. She caressed his soft brown hair, and gently moved his head into her lap, which was far more comfortable. She too began to doze off, and pretty soon her head was leaned against the glass window.

“Your Highness, we have arrived.” The servant announced as he opened the door.

Baekhyun and Yeonhae woke up abruptly, and stepped out of the car. Their house was like a mansion, with marble walls and golden gates. Yeonhae gaped at the breathtaking sight, and continued to go in. She stayed behind the guard, while Baekhyun went to greet the owner of the house.

“I would like you to meet my daughter, Eun Ae.” The man announced as a figure stepped into the room.

Baekhyun and Yeonhae gasped as their eyes fell onto every feature of her body. Her cheeks were rosy pink, and her lips were pure red. She was quite a sight.

“You!” Baekhyun exclaimed as his eyes lit up with excitement.

Yeonhae’s head perked up as she saw one of his facial expressions she had never seen before. His face showed passion, content, and…love.

“Aren’t you the one who saved me?” He shouted as he ran up to her.

Eun Ae’s eyes widened but soon were filled with joy.

“I will marry this fair lady; she is the one who rescued me from my death.” Baekhyun grinned as she softly kissed her hand.

Yeonhae’s eyes gleamed with terror, for it was the girl that she saw when she had brought Baekhyun back to this world. She could hear the pieces of her heart slowly shattering away, one by one, even though Baekhyun hadn’t gotten married to another yet. She could feel the memories that she kept escaping through her with each breath she took. She was not physically, but emotionally weak, as her heart pounded faster, and her head throbbed with thoughts. *I do not blame you, Baekhyun. It was I. I am a fool. I am a fool for thinking that you meant your words. I am a fool for giving up everything in my possession for you. And I am a fool, for loving you.* Yeonhae’s heart couldn’t take any more of the pain that she was receiving. Soon, the ground had met her body, and she laid there, with her heart beating slowly again.

Yeonhae awakened in a pile of cream sheets, and the lights of a chandelier. She sat up in surprise.

            “Sister, I pity you,” She heard her eldest sister, Haechan’s melodic voice. “Through all the books and stories I have read, I’ve never come across one like yours.”

            “Am I that pitiful?” Yeonhae sighed.

            “Our family is mourning for you greatly, Yeonhae. I decided to go to the Shaman that Queen Dowager has told you about.”

            “Why?”

            Haechan stepped out into the darkness, revealing her dark hair.

            “Haechan! Queen Dowager’s hairpin!” Yeonhae yelled in shock.

            “All of us have given our hair pin in exchange for this,” Haechan explained softly as she brought out a sharp, jade dagger.

            Her hands trembled as she placed the dagger into Yeonhae’s hands. “Plunge this into the Prince’s heart, and as soon as your fingers touch his blood, you will come back to the palace. Please listen to us for once, do not let our King grieve like he did when mother died, and lastly, do not let your heart break. Farewell my dear sister.” Haechan softly kissed Yeonhae’s forehead, and disappeared. Yeonhae did not want to disappear, nor did she want her Father to grieve, so she tightened her grip on the dagger, and made her way into Baekhyun’s room. She quietly tiptoed to his bedside, and took a lingering glance at him.

            *My dearest Baekhyun, I still wonder how you made me fall for you so quickly. I am supposed to kill you now, but when I look at your peaceful, resting face, I simply cannot bring myself to do such a horrid thing. When you get back home with your beautiful wife, take care of the lotus. It may look like it is in full blossom, but it never will. It continues to grow every single day, until its petals wilt and rot away. I am very foolish indeed? My story is becoming like that of the Little Mermaid. To sacrifice your life for whom you love. But unlike the Little Mermaid, I am content before death comes upon me, not after. Because of you, Baekhyun, I was able to experience something that not many people receive. Love. Love is a confusing feeling. But once it touches your heart, it becomes clear, and it never loses its grasp. Therefore, Baekhyun,*

            “I love you,” Yeonhae gasped. Her sweet melodic voice had comeback to utter those 3 words that she had been wanting to say. The Shaman had foreseen this coming, and allowed Yeonhae to say this before she disappeared. Baekhyun stirred in his sleep, but soon fell back into his rest.

            Yeonhae smiled, and took out her hairpin. She placed it gently on the table next to the bed, and turned to leave.

            But something firmly gripped her wrist.