Ending A: No More Pretending

Unwanted Exes

You boarded the train and sat down with L.Joe and Changjo. The atmosphere soon became a little uneasy with L.Joe suddenly becoming quiet and Changjo trying to avert his gaze. L.Joe wordlessly held your hand, staring out the window and fidgeting with his other hand. Having no one to look at, you directed your attention to your hands.

L.Joe was massaging your hand with his, playing with your fingers. By looking at his face, you couldn’t tell, but you could feel his palms getting clammy—a sign that he was nervous. But why?

“Changjo, don’t you have to go to the bathroom or something?” L.Joe asked.
“Oh, sure, I get it.” Changjo said.

Without another word, Changjo left. As soon as his back was turned, L.Joe faced you, holding your other hand.

“Changjo’s not looking right now. You don’t have to…pretend.” You said.

You were reluctant to say the last word. Pretend. Once again, you had forgotten that none of it was real.

“That’s the thing though…I don’t want to pretend anymore. I want this to be real.” L.Joe confessed.
“Me too…I really like you, L.Joe.” You said.
“I really like you too.” L.Joe said softly as he leaned closer to you.

Releasing one of your hands, he tucked your hair behind your ear. He smiled shyly and hesitated before placing his hand at the back of your head and kissing you softly. You reached up and put your free hand on his chest. You could feel his heart beating quickly—it was beating for you. As L.Joe pulled himself away, he noticed Changjo sit down.

“You were never actually dating, were you? You’ve been lying to me this whole time, haven’t you?” Changjo accused.

L.Joe turned back to you, seeing that you were just as shocked as he was.

“How did he know?” L.Joe whispered.
“I don’t know! I didn’t say anything about it last night.” You replied.
“Last night? What are you talking about?” L.Joe asked.
“Remember how you said you got up and you didn’t know where he was? He was outside on the balcony. I got up earlier and he was just out there crying. I talked to him and calmed him down a bit, then gave him my blanket when he fell asleep. That’s why I didn’t have one.” You explained.

L.Joe simply looked at you, unsure of what to say.

“Answer me.” Changjo demanded.
“I’m sorry, Changjo…” You muttered softly.
“What gave it away?” L.Joe asked.
“Your fidgeting, hyung. You’re normally really cool around girls, but you were being all squirmy. Oh, and the fact that I was eavesdropping when I was ‘in the bathroom’.” Changjo said.

You and L.Joe couldn’t help but laugh.

“You little rascal! And here I am thinking I’m the mischievous one.” L.Joe said.
“So I guess you’re really dating now, huh?” Changjo asked.
“Yeah.” You and L.Joe responded together.

L.Joe kissed you on the cheek as he clasped your hand tightly.

“Are you gonna be okay, Changjo?” You asked with concern.
“You know what, noona? I think I’m gonna be just fine. You’re not mine anymore. There’s nothing I can do about it, so I’ll go away. As long as you’re happy, I’ll be happy. L.Joe-hyung…please be good to her.” Changjo smiled.

He was the first of you to leave the train when it arrived in Busan. He never did tell you what he planned to do there, but he smiled and waved happily before walking away. You remained close after that and he stopped clinging to you, instead becoming a good friend.