Ending B: Missed Opportunity

Unwanted Exes

L.Joe casually put his arm around your shoulder as the train started to move.

“So, how did you sleep?” He asked.
“I slept fine.” Changjo answered simply.
“I was okay. I woke up in the middle of the night and I couldn’t fall back asleep for a while, but it happens to everyone. How about you?” You replied.
“I had a really nice dream last night. Maybe it was from something else really nice in the room.” L.Joe suggested with a wink.
“You flirt!” You giggled.

L.Joe laughed as you pushed him lightly.

“What? I’m your boyfriend; I’m supposed to say stuff like that!” He said.
“I’m just gonna go sit over there.” Changjo announced, leaving suddenly.
“What’s up with him?” L.Joe asked.
“I don’t know, but there’s something I want to tell you while he’s not here.” You said.
“Really? I want to tell you something too.” L.Joe admitted.
“You can go first. What is it you want to tell me?” You asked.

L.Joe took a deep breath and chuckled to himself, wondering if he was really going to go through with what he was about to do. He removed his arm from your shoulder, instead holding your hands as he turned to face you.

“Can I ask you something too?” He asked.
“Sure, anything.” You agreed.
“I really like you. Do you want to be my girlfriend? Like…for real this time?” He asked.

Your first instinct was to say yes, but you knew that you couldn’t.

“I have good news and bad news about that…” You began.
“Good news and bad news? What do you mean by that?” L.Joe asked.
“Which one do you want to hear first?” You replied.
“I guess I’ll take the bad news first…might as well get that out of the way now.” L.Joe decided.
“I can’t be your real girlfriend.” You said simply.
“What? Why not?” L.Joe asked.
“Changjo and I got back together.” You replied.

L.Joe let go of your hands in shock.

“When did that happen?!” He asked.
“Last night while you were sleeping. I couldn’t sleep and I noticed Changjo outside on the balcony crying, so I went and talked to him to calm him down and everything. We ended up talking about our breakup and I told him that you and I were over. Eventually, we ended up working things out and getting back together…I’m sorry, L.Joe.” You explained.
“What’s the good news then?” L.Joe asked.
“Don’t tell Changjo, but…” You began.

You leaned over and whispered in L.Joe’s ear.

“I like you too.” You said.
“Really?!” L.Joe asked excitedly.

You nodded and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“If last night didn’t happen, I really would have said yes. If Changjo and I weren’t back together now, I would definitely want to be your real girlfriend.” You smiled.

L.Joe looked a few rows behind him where Changjo was sitting alone, distracted by his iPod. Quickly, L.Joe brought his hands to your face and kissed you. Afterwards, he looked away and chuckled to himself.

“Sorry. I just really wanted to do that. I’ve been waiting to do that for a while now…I was anticipating a different answer from you.” He laughed.

You smiled, slightly regretful that you couldn’t accept his offer to date for real. But in the end, you were happy to date Changjo and L.Joe was happy for the two of you, despite his lingering feelings for you. After arriving in Busan and going your separate ways, you kept in touch with L.Joe, only becoming closer as time went on.