Who the hell do you think you are?!

All Because of Strawberries

 

“I dare you to go get ten strawberries without the owner of the house noticing you.”

Jonghyun agreed to the dare, and bounded off to the house, skipping a bit as he went. This is easy , he thought to himself, I’ll just grab a bunch and go.

“Hey, Choi, if I win, you owe me a whole week’s worth of lunch and the new book of that manga, okay?” Jonghyun called over his shoulder.

Minho just waved his hand absentmindedly, as if to acknowledge the older boy. Jonghyun beamed and continued down the sidewalk, humming giddily to himself. 

He stopped, looking both ways as he hurried across the street to the quaint little home. He examined the building, concluding that it looked very cozy. For a moment, he hesitated, feeling bad he might be stealing from a nice, little, old lady. Or even an middle aged woman like his own mother. Sighing, Jonghyun brushed the thought away. Damn, he was getting a week of lunch and manga from Choi! What was the stop and think about?

Jonghyun stepped to the garden, which was at the left side of the house, along the front steps. Plants were tangled everywhere, along with a few painted wooden signs that had some names of vegetables; some he’d heard of before, and some he had no idea what they were. Rolling up the sleeves of his white shirt, he bit his lip. He leaned over the wooden enclosure, as he spotted his target: plump, bright red berries that literally screamed ‘JONGHYUN PICK MEEEEE.’ (Okay, maybe they were saying ‘go away’ instead, but who doesn’t want a piece of him?)

“Alright. Ten strawberries,” he whispered to himself. He turned and looked over his shoulder, to see Minho watching across the street, his arms across his thin chest. Jonghyun grinned widely and gave his friend a thumbs up. Minho didn’t respond, or move. Oh well.

Jonghyun sighed, stretching his arm into the bush where the lush strawberries grew. His fingers stumbled around ungracefully, as he searched for the perfect berry to pick out. Finally, after finding one, he grabbed the stem, and broke it off. One down, nine to go.

Smiling to himself, he thought, easy-peasy lemon-squeezy, remembering the childhood rhyme he’d always hear from Minho whenever he needed help from their math homework. Jonghyun plucked another off the stem and counted in his head. Two down.

Three, four, and five went by. “Hey, Jonghyun!” he heard Minho call. He simply ignored the younger student, for he desperately wanted that week’s worth of lunch. He took some more, gaining a total of eight strawberries. Two more left.

“There’s someo–”

Jonghyun heard the front door of the house open, but he didn’t want to stop now. He bit his lower lip as his eyes searched hungrily for more berries. “Yah! Kim Jonghyun!” he heard Minho shout.

He grabbed another strawberry off a stem, and no thoughts raced throughout in his head. He needed to hurry. Jonghyun’s fingers closed over the last berry, when he heard:

“YAH. WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE, YOU LITTLE ER.”

a/n: ahaha. stupid jjongie. c: