10 {F}

Is This My Life?

The Choi mansion has been silent recently, but since Kai starting living in the mansion things have slowly become more cheerful. 
---
Kai would find the best in every situation, and he would try his hardest to make the people around him happy.

"No on in this world deserves to be sad," is a motto that Kai lived by. He lived everyday as happy as he could, and to everyone, especially Key, he was a role model. Kai went through so much in short life, yet he stood there in front of the whole world and smiled.

Kai often asked Key about Taemin. It started off with small things, like his favorite color and animal, but Key couldn't give an answer. Taemin wasn't someone who would give out information that didn't seem relevant. This puzzled Kai greatly, since Key seemed like the person who was most connected with Taemin.

Kai found his way in front of Taemin's door, and he sat down in front of it. The door was magnificent, and it had a rugged yet beautiful feel to it. This door was really different from any other doors found within the mansion. 

It had many curves and lines. The grooves that stood out made the door even more enchanting. 

"I wonder if the boy inside is as beautiful as the door whom protects him," Kai said to himself.
---
After Kai finished his daily chores, he would sit in front of the door. He would spend hours caressing the grooves, and he occasionally hum a small lullaby. He would think about the boy who felt trapped within those four walls. He felt an urge to help the boy see the beauty of life. No one had the right to tear that happiness out of him.

'Let me see you. Let me help you,' Kai said in his head. 

Finally, Kai took the initiative and spoke aloud to the boy across the door.
---
"Hello Taemin, my name is Kai," Kai started out. "I know you have not idea who I am, but I know a lot about you. Key talks to you as if you were his own son. It's really cute. I'm sorry if I am freaking you out right now, it's just I want to help you Taemin. You don't know who I am, but I hope with every talk we have we grow to know each other more."

Kai waited for a response.

None came.

"You don't have to talk back; I just hope you will listen," Kai said.

Listening is what the broken boy did. Taemin would sit in front of his door, and he listened to everything Kai said. Though he never responded back, he felt that Kai was someone whom he could trust.
Kai told Taemin everything. He told him about his first memory all the way to his parent's abandoning him.

Taemin felt tears run down his face when Kai told him those memories, and he cried even more when Kai said he was still happy.
---
On one particular evening, Kai heard Taemin's sniffles from across the door.

"Oh, don't cry Taemin," Kai said, worry laced in his voice. "Beautiful creatures should never shed a tear, especially on something as small as that."

"How can someone like you, who has been through so much, still say he is happy?" Taemin's little voice said.

"It's not hard. I don't hate my parents nor do I hate my life. I have been through so much that I have learned to appreciate life. Why settle on the small things and be sad, when you can be out and about being happy? Life is short Taemin. There is no use in being sad."

Silence fell upon the two boys again.

"Plus, if everything didn't happen exactly as they did, I wouldn't have met you. Taemin, you are such a wonderful boy, and I have only thoughts on making you smile again. When I heard your voice just now, my heart started beating with bursts of energy. Your voice is as soft as an angels wing, but I heard something else Taemin. I heard how sad you really are. You shouldn't be sad, you should be happy."

The evening ended with Kai saying goodbye and saying he will return tomorrow evening. 

Taemin stared outside his window, gazing outside. The thoughts of Kai raced through his mind.

'Who was that boy? How dare he think he can help me? What does he really want?' Taemin thought.

"Get your brain out of the gutter," Taemin muttered to himself.
---
The following few evenings were the same. 

Kai would come and talk about one thing or another. Taemin would sometimes talk back, but he mostly just listened. Kai on the other hand had grown completely smitten with Taemin. Every day the need to see Taemin kept growing and growing until it finally busted within him.

Kai decided to climb up the side of the mansion to Taemin's balcony.

"HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS!" Taemin yelled. Right outside his window was a complete stranger. Taemin was about to race out and call for someone, but Kai beat him to the chase. 

"Taemin, wait!" Kai yelled. "It's me, Kai. You know, the guy who's been talking to you from behind that door there. I'm sorry that I scared you, I just really needed to see you. I know this is stupid, but hey it worked. I finally get to see that pretty face," Kai said smiling.

Taemin stared at Kai with saucer eyes while a little blush formed on his face.

The two stared at one another for a while.

'So, this is who I've been talking to,' they both thought.

Kai was the one who broke the silence first with his laugh.

"Are you going to let me in, or do I have to keep standing out on your balcony?"

"Oh, umm..." Taemin quickly rushed over and opened the door. He then quickly stepped back, and made sure to keep a comfortable distance between him and the unknown boy.

Kai stepped in and looked around.

"Your room seems different from what I expected. I thought it was going to be all dark and eerie in here. It seems to be more suited for someone of your beauty."

"W-why do you keep calling me that?" Taemin asked quietly.

"Calling you what?" Kai questioned.

"C-calling me those pet names. I'm n-n-not beautiful," Taemin said as he looked down at his feet. 

Kai's smile faded, and he rushed over to Taemin's side. He titled Taemin's head up towards his, and he smiled that cheeky smile that seems to never leave his face.

"My mother told me to never tell lies. If I find someone beautiful, then it must be beautiful."

Taemin's blush grew in size, and he diverted his gaze elsewhere in the room.

They stood in silence that was eerily soothing to them both.

"I think it's about time for me to head back Tae," Kai said. "I'll be back tomorrow, so I hope you will open the door this time around, please?"

They both let out soft chuckles, and Kai went on his way. 
---
The Choi residence didn't know what was to come.