♥♥♥♥♥♥

Red Lips & Soft Fingers { h i a t u s }
 
chapter six 
     a walk home;
                                                                                                                                                                                                                           -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                                                                                                                                            
 

Kim Jongin was many things. He was crazy, he was fun, he was attractive, he was smart, but also stupid; Kyungsoo knew him in many ways. What the doe-eyed teen didn’t know though was that the same Kim Jongin could also be boring, and Kyungsoo had the chance to meet that side of his best friend when he decided one Saturday to force him go to the mall and, Kyungsoo didn’t like it, not in the last. Like that, after an entire day of strolling from shop to shop and feeling like he was actually alone rather than being accompanied by a tall, muscular, tanned guy, the smaller one pushed Jongin inside a Japanese restaurant that was on their way back home and forced him to order something.

 
It was around 7pm when Kyungsoo found himself staring with an unusual poker face at the latter wondering if there was any chance for him to have been kidnapped and carried into a total parallel universe, seeing that all Jongin did was to look out of the window and sigh. Like, for real; was that him or a kind of failed clone?
 
“Are you nuts?” Jongin softly hummed, bringing his elbows on the table and sitting his chin over his crossed hands. Kyungsoo could only sigh. “Alright! I understand that you are depressed because you’re going to go to no competition and you also lied that Chinese crush of yours, but these are not good enough reasons to also depress me, you got it?” he pricked Jongin’s forehead with a toothpick then went back on looking over the menu. Jongin didn’t even seem to feel the sharp thing touching his skin. He just sunk into his seat, burring his face deeper in his arms. “I hate you.”
 
“All of you are.” The tanned boy mumbled causing Kyungsoo’s eyes dramatically roll.
 
“Hey, let’s see the bright side!” all of a sudden, Jongin raised his head and threw his best friend a piercing look like saying asking him what the hell was he talking about. “You carried that useless cast over you one whole week so you don’t have to pretend your leg is injured anymore.”
 
“So it was fake after all.” Kyungsoo’s eyes grew wide open when somebody else butted into their conversation. There was no need for him to move his head and gaze into the other’s eyes because he already knew who he was. Jongin instead, raised an eyebrow, kind of surprised by the latter’s sudden appearance. “I work here.” Joonmyun shrugged and pulled out of his pocket a pen. “Can I take your order now?”
 
“Are you, by any chance, stalking me?” Kai straightened himself.
 
“Why? Are you?” Suho smirked more for the other’s annoyance. “Oh, Jongin…” he pushed his hand back inside his pocket and pulled out two tickets which he handed to the said one. “The teacher told me to tell you that you should invite your girlfriend at the party we throw after tomorrow’s exposition. You know, to thank her that she helped us paint such wonderful portraits.” If he wasn’t sitting on the chair, Kyungsoo was sure he would have fallen backwards because well, yeah, how was he supposed to dress again in a stupid dress and wear a wig, and oh, let’s not mention the make up; the damn make up! Jongin scoffed.
 
“Like there’s any way to bring my girlfriend in a place where you are, again.” He went back to the cocky personality he always had around Joonmyun. “No thanks, red bangs.” Ignoring the stupid smirk his classmate had on those lips of his, Joonmyun could hear Kyungsoo sigh from the other side of the table. A huge smile lit up his face as he locked eyes with the other, making the boy’s face turn all into a bright shade of red.
 
“I want sushi.” Kyungsoo mumbled, followed by Jongin’s firm voice which said the same three words.
 
 “Oh, mom is calling.” Jongin frowned, picking up his phone. Kyungsoo watched him as he tried his best to come out with some things which were going to justify why he didn’t go to help the poor woman with her groceries. “Fine! I forgot!” the boy finally snapped after all his tries on lying his mother failed. “I’ll come right now. I’m not that far from there.” He hung up and quickly threw his jacket over his shoulders.
 
“What? So you’re just going to leave like that?” Kyungsoo disappointedly said, receiving a short hug from his best friend. “What about the food? It was supposed to be paid by you!”
 
“I’ll make up to you next time!”
 
“What next time?!” Kyungsoo called after the boy, but he was long gone. He slumped back into his chair, crossing his hands to his chest and wondering for God knows which time what wrong he did in his past life to deserve such a moron as a best friend. “I’m not hungry anymore.” Kyungsoo sighed when the waiter placed the plates of sushi on his table. He prepared to pull out money for both his and Jongin’s, but Joonmyun stopped him.
 
“Only pay yours. I’ll pay Jongin’s. I know he can be such a jerk sometimes.”
 
“But I have enough-” Suho just shook his head, his lips breaking yet again into an eyes-taking smile.
 
“Just do as I say, alright?” he nodded, taking the money just for Kyungsoo’s order. “Are you going home now?”
 
“I suppose.” The doe-eyed teen murmured, gazing across of him at the now empty seat of Kai. “It looks like I have to.”
 
“My shift ends after ten minutes. If you want, just wait for me and I’ll walk you home.” Joonmyun shrugged. Kyungsoo watched him with amused eyes but in the end refused his offer by pressing his lips together and shaking his head.
 
“I have two healthy legs, thank you very much.”
 
“Yeah, but the city is pretty dangerous at night. Let’s see how those healthy legs will help you when you’ll be cornered by some dirty gangsters.” The doe-eyed teen raised an eyebrow. What was Joonmyun trying to say more exactly?
 
“Are you trying to say I can’t take care of myself?”
 
“Just wait for me, okay?” another blinding smile was given which made Kyungsoo think twice at his decision and in the end sit back down and wait for the waiter to finish his shift. He watched Suho as he served two more customers before he rushed backside to change his clothes, not before throwing one of those famous winks of his to Kyungsoo.
 
The two ended up walking down the road with their hands inside their pockets, being more awkward than ever, because yeah, Suho said it would be nice for them to take the subway till Kyungsoo’s house. Of course the doe-eyed boy could do nothing but agree since he himself was indifferent which mean of transport he will arrive home with, and plus, the cute face Joonmyun gave him told Kyungsoo a ‘no’ would have been rude of him.
 
“So, you and Jongin are really good friends, huh?” Joonmyun stretched his neck backwards, watching the night sky through his half-closed eyelids. The latter only gave him a hum in response before turning to gaze back into Suho’s eyes.
 
“You and him are pretty good enemies, right?”
 
“Kind of. Neither enemies, nor friends.” They both started to lightly laugh, and right after, the only sounds that could be heard were the cars driving on the road.
 
Outside was dark and cold, so none of them were wondering why there weren’t so many people around them. It was nice, at least for Kyungsoo, to have such quiet time outside, although he was spending it with a guy he didn’t know many things about, also said a stranger, but in whose company, surprisingly, he was feeling very comfortable.
 
“I don’t think I had the chance to properly introduce myself to you yet.” Joonmyun suddenly started walking and moved in front of the doe-eyed boy, holding one hand out. “I’m Kim Joonmyun and I’m a painter, as you’ve already seen.” Kyungsoo started to laugh realizing that he actually never introduced himself to the other also.
 
“I’m Do Kyungsoo. I like shopping. And since Jongin joined that art class, I’ve started also making a passion for painting.”
 
“You paint?” Suho curiously asked, his eyes growing a bit wider and his lips curling upwards into a pleasing smile. Kyungsoo nodded but then informed him that he can’t paint as well as the other does and he just wish for his ‘masterpieces’ to remain only for his own eyes and nobody else’s. “You’re nice. I like you.” Joonmyun nonchalantly said as they sat on a bench in the subway station. It was nice to see they weren’t so all by themselves again when they saw some girls waiting for the same mean of transport two benches away from them. Kyungsoo’s cheeks slightly reddened when those words left the other lips and his just hummed and murmured a ‘you too.’ more for Joonmyun’s joy.
 
What followed next was something the both of them expected; silence. It was true they didn’t know many things about each other, but it was also true they wished to find out more. Unfortunately, Joonmyun thought Kyungsoo may not like if he’ll start asking stupid questions, and the same thought crossed the latter’s mind too, so they preferred just to keep it like that. It wasn’t awkward; Kyungsoo told to himself, it was rather comfortable; way to comfortable, and at that time, not being able to control his thoughts anymore, he allowed himself to wonder how would be like to have this comfortable presence next to him everyday. It would have been nice, and Kyungsoo was sure he would have been able to make an obsession, but he quickly shook his head when he realized it just wouldn’t be right. It wouldn’t feel right, or fair.
 
Joonmyun smiled, yet again, when Kyungsoo’s head hit his shoulder. He quickly turned to look at the latter and could help but smile wider when he saw they boy’s eyes were actually closed. He wandered his gaze all over the figure he head in front of him and he finally stopped at Kyungsoo’s lips; those plump lips he had a massive urge to touch at the moment. His hand involuntarily moved and made its way under the other’s palm, fingers locking with the boy’s.
 
“Why are you holding my hand?” Kyungsoo mumbled and he was sure he heard the girls two benched away giggling. Joonmyun quickly moved his other hand and grabbed Kyungsoo’s free one, then forced out a laugh.
 
“Your hands are cold. I just thought I could have warmed them up.”
 
“I can do it myself, thank you.” Kyungsoo pursed his lips together, pulling his hands back and pushing them inside his pockets. Joonmyun nodded.
 
“…right.” He whispered before turning to look for the metro. Kyungsoo could help but blush watching the other as he tried to seem preoccupied with something else. “Look! It’s here.” Suho called, tugging on Kyungsoo’s denim jacket. Both of them stood up and got into the subway, no words being said next.
 
Kyungsoo could feel Joonmyun’s gaze on him when he closed his eyes. He could also hear the other’s rapid heartbeat and heavy breath, but still, he could do nothing about it. He didn’t want to feel guilty, but he still did. He had a huge urge to tell Suho everything about that stupid day he was going to swear all his life, when he was forced to wear a kimono and a wig and fool all those people, but how could he? Jongin was his best friend, and Kyungsoo was sure the boy wouldn’t be very happy with that.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                           -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                                                                                                                                             cr

author's note
• dum dum dururum!