3

My Only Love

 

Words: 952

 

“So, are you going to tell me now”, she asked poking the side of his stomach. He wrapped his arm around her, closing the space in between them.

“What about?” he asked.

“Husband, you said you were going to tell me the story of why we belong together.”

“Ok, we have all the time in the world…" he paused. "I’m from the future.”

“You already told me that husband.”

“Wife…I have to tell a story ok,” he said as he pinched her nose.

“I’m originally from the future but I could switch souls with the body of a person from the past without my knowledge. That’s when we met.”

“But I thought we meet in the future; that means you met me first in the past.”

“Well, I’m not sure where I’m from, but I was told I’m from the future.”

“You were told?” she asked not exactly sure what he meant by not knowing where he’s from.

“I have a memory of never being happy with my life: I felt like I had money and everyone waited on me, but I was never happy, but my soul was always switching with someone else’s sooo I don’t really remember where I’m from.” He explained.

“Why was your soul switching?”

“A shaman wanted us to meet; she told me that she switched me to the time you were alive in different lifetimes, and every time we would meet, I would be happy to see you, but you weren’t. That is why she picked this time for the both of us, she said we would both be happy here.” He explained.

“That’s the story I waited to hear?” she looked at him dumbfounded. “Question” she poked her husband. “I wasn’t happy in the different lifetimes you met me, so we couldn’t be together, but I’m definitely sure I was happy in the lifetime I remember. Why didn’t we stay there?” She asked curiously.

“The shaman said we would only be truly happy if we were alone.”

“But…I’m not happy here.”

He looked onto her with shock and distress displayed all over his face. Did she just say she wasn’t happy here either? Where was she happy then?

“Husband, we can go back to where I’m happy,” she looked at him trying to figure out how in the world they’ve apparently fallen in love in so many lifetimes, but they weren’t happy.

“I’m sorry, but we can’t do that,” he looked away as he prepared to stand.

“What do you mean we can’t?”

“I told you my soul switched, this is the original me here, don’t you like that?” he asked worriedly.

“Take me back to my parents.”

“Why do you want to go back there?”

“Do you like being alone?” she searched his face.

“I’m not alone…I’m with you, and with you nothing else matters,” he softened up.

“But I’m not happy here.”

He quickly faced her as he took her hands in his. “What lifetime do you want to go to?”

“The one where my parents are good people…my original life…even though I couldn’t have everything, I still enjoyed my life in that little shack…washing the plates.”

“But the shaman knows everything, she knew you weren’t happy.”

"Husband..." she looked into his eyes "no one is totally happy...there's some sadness and loneliness, but you can truly be happy if you make the best of your situation".

 

"But I only want to be with you and no one else, not even your parents." He angrily moved away from her.
 

"Too bad" she stood up, "now, take me to my parents". She says as she storms away from his face.
 

"Great Mother" he called into the air, "come now", in a split second the shaman had appear in front of him.
 

"What do you need my son?"
 

"What is your purpose in any lifetime?" Myungsoo asked.

"To fulfill your wishes, of course."


"And if I'm not happy what will you do?"
 

"I'll do anything to make you happy."
 

"Make her be happy here." He commanded sternly.
 

"But my son, I can't do that."
 

"Yes you can." He gritted his teeth in anger.
 

"I think I've made a mistake", the shaman sighed.
 

"What mistake are you talking about?" He frowned as his hand made it's way to his chest, awaiting what mistake the shaman could have possibly made.
 

"I don't think you belong together" she said.
 

"Yes we do," he angrily latched onto her tattered clothes.
 

"Well, you're making it hard for yourself...why don’t you just go with her…you should be happy where she’s happy, it’s only natural.”

He thought about it as he sat carefully on a rock; he would be happy by just being with her, and she said she was happy with her parents: should he just go, but he wanted to be alone with her, and no one else. He did not want anyone to distract him, even her parents. He suddenly stood up; it was all clear to him now.
 

“Can you please call my wife now?” he told the shaman.

“She’s here” she answered.

When he looked up at her, his anger was washed away; he could do nothing but smile, the way he looked at her made him nervous, which was why he fell in love with her. He ran to her and embraced her, his hand made its way to her hair, it very gently. “We’ll go back,” he whispered into her ear.

“Really?” She lets go and looked into his eyes.

“You’re right, no one is fully happy…I’ll only be happy with you if we are together.” He kissed her hand and intertwined both of their fingers while looking up to the sky… “We should go now”

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: Sorry for being so late in updating, but I've been busy doing...nothing (school).

The next chapter will be the last (with a shocking twist of fate) and short, and I hope this story isn't too disappointing.