It's Not Quite Over Yet...

Dangerous Liaisons

Well... another chapter! This'll probably be the last one in a while. I have a few chapters written up, but I might not post it if people aren't interested in the story... ah well. Tough crowd, eh? -nudgenudge-

Uh, right. Um, please subscribe and comment to the story please! EXO is beginning to get really depressed that nobody's interested in their story, and so am I T.T

-0-

Previously on Dangerous Liaisons…

We’re both trapped and a crazed psycho with powers is going to kill us. What are we going to do?

-0-

“Don’t touch my noona!” I heard Jae yell as he brought a bat down on Xavier's head. He crumpled to the ground just like his partner did moments ago. I fell to the ground to as he lost consciousness, falling to the ground with a loud thud. Ugh, I’m going to feel that in the morning, but not now.

“You two really are siblings,” I heard Chanyeol mutter as I brushed myself off and went to hug Jae close.

“Are you okay? Did you get hurt?” I asked, checking him over for any injuries.

“I’m fine, I’m fine,” he answered, swatting my hands away.

“Are you sure?”

He nodded and I took the chance to slap him on the back of his head. He pouted, rubbing the back of his head.

“What was that for?” he whined.

“For not listening me,” I scolded, giving my ‘mom’ stare. “I told you to stay in the woods. This isn’t the woods!”

“I had to help you! That was going to hurt you and that hyung!”

“We could’ve handled it.” I pinched the bridge of my nose. “Ugh, whatever. I’m just glad you weren’t hurt.”

“We should tie them up,” Chanyeol suggested, dragging Vine Guy and Xavier towards us. “It probably won’t be long before they wake up.”

He looked at me and it took me a moment to react, still disoriented from the fight. “Oh, right!” I exclaimed. “I’ll go find some string.”

Moments later, we had the two bad guys tied up, although I don’t really think rope can restrain them for long, considering the powers they had, but whatever. It’s not like I know much about what’s going on here. Actually, I have absolutely no idea what’s going on here.

“I don’t think that’ll hold them,” Jae commented, scrutinizing the knots that held their hands together moments later.

“You know what? I don’t think that’ll hold them either,” Chanyeol agreed, although he didn’t make a move to rectify it.

“Should we… move them inside?” I asked hesitantly, pulling Jae Sun away from them so he wasn’t so close. They don’t look like they’ll be waking them up anytime soon, but better safe than sorry.

“Unless you want your house destroyed when a fight breaks out, I recommend you don’t do that,” Chanyeol answered, looking out toward the woods at the back. Seeing the fight that broke out here and the singed grass on my backyard, I didn’t argue.

“Where are the others?” I asked him again, looking out the front of the house to make sure no one was coming. We made a lot of noise, but like I said, we were pretty far away from other people.

“They’re here,” he answered, squinting into the tree line. The words were barely out of his mouth before I spotted the other four guys walking out for the trees, looking worse than they did before. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling they were probably caught up in a fight that was just as intense, if not more than the one we were just in. Their clothes were torn and I was pretty sure they had some form of injury on them.

“What are they doing here?” Suho demanded to know as he walked up to us, leading their little group.

“Looking for us,” Chanyeol answered, crossing his arms and glancing at the two passed-out weirdos.

“I didn’t think you could knock them out yourself,” D.O commented, nudging Vine Guy with his foot.

Chanyeol glanced at me and Jae. “I didn’t.”

“You’re telling me she had to help you?” Kai scoffed. Let me be the first to say that that guy has an attitude problem.

“If I can take that guy, I can take you,” I threatened, narrowing my eyes at him. I don’t get his hostility at all. I haven’t done him any harm!

He smirked, crossing his arms across his chest. “I’d like to see you try, little girl.”

Before I could respond, Xavier stirred as his eyes slowly fluttered open behind his metal mask. Before he could utter a word (I doubt it’d be anything nice), Baekhyun picked up Jae’s bat and whacked him over the head again, knocking him out instantaneously.

I immediately winced. Man, I could hear the thud from all the way over here.

“Kai, you know what to do,” Suho said, turning to said person.

Kai sighed but put his hands on their binds and vanished right in front of my eyes. He was barely gone for more than a moment before he was back, this time without whacko 1 and whacko 2.

Suddenly, I sat down on the ground. Okay, I’ve almost been killed twice in the span of two hours, performed what should have been surgery in my kitchen and just saw a bunch of people do impossible things. There’s only so much a girl can take and I am way over my head in this.

“Noona!” Jae exclaimed, kneeling down next to me. “Are you okay?”

I waved his hands away. “I’m fine, I’m fine,” I replied hastily. “I’m just… a little dizzy.” I pointed at Kai. “That is not scientifically possible. You… what are you guys?”

“It’s… complicated,” Suho answered diplomatically. “Let’s take this inside.”

I let myself get dragged into my house and sat down at the kitchen table, still in a daze. I’ve been pushed against a wall, thrown out of my own house and… ugh! I just want to know what’s going on!

“Explain,” I demanded, rubbing my temples to relieve the headache that was beginning to pound behind my eyes. “No diplomacy, no beating around the bush, just the truth.”

“Define the truth,” Baekhyun snorted, leaning against the counter and giving me a sarcastic look.

“Not a lie, a fact, need I go on?” I replied sarcastically, burying my face in my hands. “How about we start with who those guys were?”

“We don’t even know who you are,” D.O pointed out.

“My name is Lee Cho Hee and I live with my little brother Jae,” I stated. You know, I hadn’t even realised I hadn’t introduced myself. “Now answer my question.”

I heard someone sigh and heard the scraping of a chair against the floor. “It would be better if you didn’t know,” I heard Suho warn.

“I’ll deal with the consequences later. Just give me my answers,” I muttered, cracking an eye open to give him a slight glare. I have a feeling I’m really going to regret this, but whatever. I’m curious and sore and slightly temperamental.

He sighed and ruffled the hair at the back of his head. “They call themselves the ‘Dark Knights’.”

I snorted, covering my mouth when Suho gave me a stern look. “I’m sorry,” I apologized, laughing slightly. “It’s just… Dark Knights? What are they, Batman?”

“Lady, this isn’t a laughing matter,” D.O snapped, pinching the bridge of his nose. “They are insane people with powers who want to either capture or kill us!”

You guys could be insane people with powers too,” I pointed out. “What makes them so different from you guys?”

“We don’t have the CIA on our payroll,” he replied wryly.

“CIA?” Jae asked as I let those words sink in for a moment.

“No way,” I whispered, shock probably evident on my face. “That’s huge! That can’t be possible.”

“He didn’t say it was all of CIA,” Baekhyun pointed out, brushing a lock of hair from Sehun’s sweaty forehead. Huh, I almost forgot he was still here. Speaking of still here…

“Jae, I think you should go to bed,” I told him, a hint of authority in my voice.

“But I wanna listen,” he whined, although his eyes were beginning to droop.

“No,” I said, pulling him up and almost dragging him to the doorway. “This is grown up talk and you need your sleep. Now shoo.”

“It’s Saturday tomorrow,” he protested, although he was so tired he didn’t put up much of a fight.

“Technically it’s today,” I replied smartly, “but I have a feeling we’re going to have a busy day. You need your sleep.”

This time he didn’t bother fighting back and just gave me a hug. I kissed him on the forehead and ruffled his hair, pushing him lightly. “Goodnight, Jae.”

“Night, noona,” he replied sleepily, trudging up the stairs.

I turned back into the kitchen, not bothering to sit down this time. I have a feeling if I do sit down, I might end up falling asleep. I found all the guys looking at me. I shifted on my feet, feeling self-conscious ad leant against the wall. “What?” I asked, glancing around. They were giving me the same look. I don’t really know how to describe it, but it wasn’t very comfortable.

“Are you sure he’s your brother?” Baekhyun asked, accusation evident in his voice.

I rolled my eyes. “He’s definitely not my son,” I answered, understanding the accusation in his voice. “He’s twelve. I’m eighteen. I’ve just raised him for the past ten years. Moving on… we were talking about the Dark Knights and their contacts in the CIA?”

“Not just CIA,” Suho clarified. “FBI, MI6, even KGB.”

“KGB? They have spies in KGB? What would they need with Russia?”

“That’s a good question. We don’t know and we don’t want to know. The fact is that they have a lot of government help.”

“Let me guess: they have inside men in the NIS too.”

“She catches on fast,” D.O commented.

“That explains why you didn’t want the police involved. What did you guys do, rob a bank?”

“We didn’t do anything,” Kai said, scowling at me. Have I mentioned recently how pleasant he is? “Our only crime was existing.”

“What he means is that we’re trying to set things right,” Suho answered, giving Kai a stern look. “They’re after something and they can’t get it.”

“What happens if they get this mysterious object?” I asked, curiosity filling my head.

“Humankind gets wiped out,” Baekhyun answered, sounding as casual as if he was telling me the sky was blue. “Well, normal humans like you do at least.”

I resisted the urge to facepalm. Why can’t bad guys just, I don’t know, decide to rob banks and be done with it? But no, they choose to destroy all of mankind (or majority of it, in this case) or take over the world. Last I checked, this was reality, not a comic book.

“Right,” I said tiredly. “Well you know what, it’s late and I’m tired, so I think it’s time we all went to bed.”

Suho got out of his chair, looking at the other guys. “We should probably get a move on too,” he said. “We shouldn’t stay here long. They might come back.”

“I doubt it,” Kai said. “Unless they can get out of the Sahara Desert in fifteen minutes, they’re still wondering about somewhere.”

The Sahara Desert that’s in Africa? That’s a continent away! Ugh, forget it. I’m going to get a headache trying to figure out how all this works.

“Why don’t you guys just stay here for the night?” I offered, running a hand through my hair.

“Why?” D.O asked, eyeing me with suspicion.

“Because,” I answered snarkily before sighing and pinching the bridge of my nose. “Sorry. It’s just… Sehun’s hurt, not to mention he’s out cold. I imagine that would be inconvenient. Plus, after the fight you guys just had, you have got to be exhausted.” He still looked at me skeptically. “I’m not asking you guys to live here. I’m just saying maybe you should stay the night and go off in the morning instead.”

“Can we, hyung?” Baekhyun asked unexpectedly, turning to Suho. “It’s just one night and it’d be nice to not sleep on the hard ground like we always do. Just this once?”

“You trust her enough?” Kai asked. I think I’m going to ignore him before I end up snapping at him again. There’s only so much irritation I can spare for one person.

“Well… what can she do to us?” D.O said, agreeing reluctantly with Baekhyun that it wouldn’t be such a bad idea to stay for just one night.

“Plenty,” Chanyeol answered drily, giving me a look. “Still… she hasn’t done anything to make us doubt her yet, so it wouldn’t hurt to stay just one night, would it? It could be good. For Sehun’s sake.”

“Are you sure it’s okay?” Suho asked, giving me an uncertain look.

I shrugged. “Sure, why not? It’s a big house and you won’t be here long. Besides, it can’t be good to keep travelling with a bad leg. It’s just one night.”

Suho looked at his friends before nodding. “Since you don’t mind and it’s only for one night…”

Baekhyun cheered while D.O and Chanyeol smiled slightly. I think the only one who gave me a negative response was Kai, but that’s nothing new, so I’ll just ignore it.

I pushed off the wall and motioned them to follow me. “Come on, I’ll show you your rooms.”

I led them up the stairs, avoiding the creaking step and up to where the bedrooms are. Like I said before my house was big. It has the master bedroom, which my parents use when their home (which isn’t often), my room, Jae’s room, Min Hyuk oppa’s room and two other guest rooms. I guess they could share rooms, right?

I led them to the two guest rooms at the end of the hallway, opening both doors and turning to the guys.

“I hope you guys don’t mind sharing rooms, because these are the only two available. I guess you can put Sehun in the master bedroom, since I don’t think it’s a good idea for him to be sleeping on the floor with that leg of his,” I told them. Chanyeol was carrying Sehun over his shoulder, which I didn’t think could be very comfortable, but Sehun wasn’t exactly complaining. I think being passed out might have something to do with that.

“Thank you,” Suho said, bowing to me slightly. I waved a hand nonchalantly.

“It’s okay,” I replied. “You guys get some rest and we’ll figure something out tomorrow. I’ll go get Sehun settled in first.”

I brushed past them and walked towards my parents’ bedroom, hearing footsteps behind me that indicated Chanyeol was behind me.

“This is a big house,” he observed, walking up next to me. “Is it only you and your brother?”

“Yeah,” I answered, popping my head into my parents’ room to make sure there wasn’t anything embarrassing showing before opening the door wider to let Chanyeol in. “I guess it’s too big for just two kids to be living in, huh?”

“Where are your parents?”

“They’re not around,” I answered, flipping a family picture so it was lying face down. I don’t need a bunch of strangers snooping around about my family. You know what they say: a picture tells a thousand words and we have quite a few pictures in the house.

“Oh… I’m sorry.”

I shook my head. “It’s not your fault. They’re just very busy people,” I told him as I pulled back the covers for Sehun to lie down.

He shot me a puzzled look. “Busy people?” he asked, setting the sleeping boy down. Understanding dawned in his eyes. “Oh, you mean they’re alive?”

“Of course they’re alive. Did you think they were dead?”

He rubbed the back of his head sheepishly. “I guess it was just the way you said it and the picture.”

I tucked the covers around Sehun. “They’re alive. They’re just not around a lot.” Ever. “Actually, this is their room, but it never gets used anyway, so they won’t notice.”

“They’re not around that much?”

“Like I said, they’re very busy people,” I told him, smiling slightly. “You should go get some rest. It’s been a long night.” Well, it’s been a long night for me. They’re probably used to getting chased around by homicidal maniacs and almost dying.

“Right… thank you. For letting us stay and with Sehun.”

“Don’t mention it. Night.”

When I got back to my room, I locked the door and took a moment to just stare into the darkness. What happened to my normal Friday night? It started out so normal too and now I think I just got caught up in something that is a lot bigger than I am.

I sighed and my bedside lamp. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and grimaced. “I just fought two crazed psychos in sweatpants and a t-shirt that has blood on its hem,” I said in disbelief. Absolutely unbelievable. On the bright side, at least I wasn’t wearing puppy-printed pajamas or anything embarrassing like that.

I changed my t-shirt and threw the dirtied one into the basket, not caring if I went in or not. Fatigue was starting to creep up on me and my eyelids were beginning to droop. I’m just going to get a couple of hours sleep before figuring out what I’m going to do about them. Yeah, that sounds like a good plan.