Chapter 2

The Battle of Destiny

 

January, 2012

 

"You better have a good reason to gather all of us here, hyung," Eric warns Woohyuk as he and the other Shinhwa members walk into the huge mansion.

Tony smiles reassuringly. "Don't worry, we have a very good reason."

"But we've never been here before," Jaejoong says, looking around while he walks in with Yoochun and Junsu. "Is this your new place, hyung? It looks nice."

"Thank you for the compliment."

The whole room's attention shifted and they all focused on one person, a girl that looks like she's barely twenty, walking down the stairs to the hall.

"Shall we move to the study?" she asks, and Woohyuk nods, guiding Shinhwa and JYJ members inside, following her to the study, where Jaewon already seated himself.

"I'm quite sure that you guys are wondering why I gathered you all here," she says after everybody has found their seat while she seated herself at the head of the huge table.

"Wait, you gathered us?" Minwoo asks, surprised. "I thought we're here on Woohyuk hyung's accounts."

Before she could answer, the door creaked open, and Moon Heejun walks in. He glances around, and seated himself at the chair nearest to the door. "I'm only here because Tony asked me to come," he stated.

"I suspect as much," she calmly says. "As I said, before, I'm quite sure that you guys are wondering about the reason behind this gathering."

"Woohyuk hyung said it's something related to SM," Yoochun says. "That's why we're here."

"Yes, it's true. But there's more to this than just that, something that you guys will learn after I finished telling my story."

"Aren't you supposed to introduce yourself first?" Hyesung asked. "How do we know that we can trust you?"

She smiles. "For the time being, you guys can call me Izanami. As for who I am and what's my purpose here, it will be unraveled as the story go. And you guys should trust me, because these three already has."

"From what I learned, you guys are K-Pop Idols. And coincidentally, all of you used to be with SM." she starts. "Don't you guys ever wonder why SM picked you, at the first place? Why you, among those other trainees? You can tell me you got the looks, the voice, the talent, anything. But don't say you never wondered why you were actually picked."

"And don't tell me you didn't find it weird or unsettling, when you realized that none of you guys are actually human.”

There was silence, until Eric opens his mouth, "You know what we are?"

"Of course I do," she laughs. "And I know you're not a werewolf."

Ignoring the shocked face from both Eric and all the other people in the room, she continues on. "The reasons why you were picked are simple. It's because you weren't human."

"Frankly speaking, most of K-Pop Idols – those coming from the Big Three specifically - aren't human."

"You must wonder why, then. Well it goes way back. Are you guys’ familiar with the Norse mythology?"

When everybody shakes their head, she sighs, though she throws Eric a sideway glance. "I suspect as much. You see, on contrary to people's believe, the gods from old mythology are real. They never really disappeared though their temples crumble down and people no longer worship them. They just reincarnated, born again in another form. And subconsciously, people bow down to them again, until they lost interest and finally leave. This has always been the cycle."

"The Norse has three brothers, the first gods and the First Triad: Odin, Vili, and Ve. Odin, as the oldest, ruled the Norse Pantheon while his brothers supported him from the side… or at least that’s what he wants people to believe. The truth is, Odin ditched his brothers and put them in a lower position so he could be the unanimous leader of the Norse Pantheon. He even went as far as creating a new Triad with Thor and Freyr, making the three of them the mightiest god in Norse pantheon. Vili and Ve are pushed to the side, but they can only swallow it down and followed along, because they have no means to go against the new Triad."

"Of course though, the Norse gods can't rule forever. Skuld, one of the three Norns who know everything about fate, foretold that the end is coming in the form of one huge war between the gods. A war that will decide the fate of the world. This made them weary, and distrust soon spread between them."

"There are signs of the end of the world. There will be wars and feuds. Blood relations will no longer mean anything, and all morality will disappear. And there will be the Fimbulvetr, Winter of all winters. And at last, the Ragnarok, the final war, will break out."

"Do you guys get what I'm trying to convey right now?” she asks them. “Don’t you recognize the signs? The end of the world is coming, and we're having the Fimbulvetr right now, only in different form. Haven't you guys felt that the climates problem is getting worse each day? The world itself is falling apart."

"Soon, the war will break out."

"But what does it have to with us?" Andy asks, breaking the silence after she’s done talking. "I get what you're saying, but I still don’t see the relations with us."

"The Ragnarok is a war between two gods that used to be good friends but long since turned against each other,” she explains. “The god who ruled the Norse Pantheon, Odin, against the exiled god, Loki."

"And at the last war, and the war before that, Odin lost."

"It hurts his pride. The fact that he, the mightiest and greatest god of all, was lost. Beaten by the very god he banished long time ago. So this time around, he came prepared."

"Odin decided that he can no longer rely on the other gods. He wanted to create his very own army."

She looks at everyone’s eye, one by one. "And that's why he gathered all of you under his wing."

***

Curious eyes gazes around and murmurs of speculations spreads across the room as everyone there eyed each other, sizing everyone's up and trying to figures out why they're gathered here.

All of them quickly shut their mouth and focuses their attention to the small stage in front of the room as four familiar figures made their way up there.

"You guys must have been wondering why we gathered you all here,” Lee Sooman says, standing tall at the podium. His eyes gaze down to his artists, mingling with others. His very own little army. "It's because of one simple reason."

"To tell you guys the truth."

Hyunsuk opens his mouth, "I'm sure that all this time, you guys must have wonder why, despite knowing that none of you are human, we still took you in and even turn you into what you are right now."

"Idols," Jinyoung says. "Loved and adored by human. Something that you guys thought could never happen after centuries of war and hiding, pretending to be normal."

"I'm quite sure though, that some of you already figured out the real reason," Hong says.

"If any of you thought that's the reason was because none of us are human, then you're right."

Sooman steps forward, putting on his father-like smile as he takes off his shield and reveal his true form, earning loud gasp and murmur of disbelief among the crowd.

"I am Odin, the ruler of Norse Pantheon. The mightiest god of all."

Jinyoung is the second to step forward and takes his shield off. "I am Vili, member of the First Triad, Odin's first brother."

"I am Ve, member of the First Triad, and Odin's second brother," Hyunsuk says after he takes off his shield, smiling at his own artists.

Hong let out a deep sigh, before taking a step forward and revealing his true form. "I am Tyr, god of law and justice."

***

"But that's…impossible," Jaejoong finally manages to gather himself. "You're saying that Sooman, SM's Lee Sooman, is Odin?"

"The reincarnation of Odin, yes," she corrects him. "And why is that impossible?"

"You can't believe that reincarnation of Norse gods does exist, when vampires and werewolves and other mythological creatures does exists?"

"The reincarnation of Norse gods are scattered around all of those non-human idols you know. Even JYP and YG aren't human. They're Vili and Ve."

She sighs when they still look like they doubt her, and so she decides to take a different approach.

"If you still don’t believe me, why don't you ask our leader right here?" she asks, tilting her head towards Eric. "How long has it been since you last took your shield off and showed your real form in front of anybody… dear Fenrir?"

All eyes focused on Eric in silent now, expectations mixes with wary and disbelief.

Eric sighs. "Too long," he says. "It has been too long since I last took my real wolf form."

Shouts of shock and disbelief spreads across the room, except from one person, Andy.

"Sunho-yah," Eric calls out to his lover, and Andy just sighs.

"I always knew that you're not a normal werewolf, hyung." With a smile, he adds, "Gwenchana. It won't change the way I look at you. You're still the same Eric that I know."

Heaving a sigh of relief, Eric then proceeds to face the other in the room. "She's saying the truth. Sooman is Odin's reincarnation. That's why I put on a shield and hide my true identity."

"In case you're wondering," she suddenly says, "A shield is the reincarnation's method of defense. It enables them to hide their true form and take on a more normal form as another mythical creature that have the appearance of a normal human. In Eric's case, he took on the form of a werewolf, a close call to his own true form as the giant wolf."

"But, why, Eric-ah?" Dongwan asks. "I mean, you’re a reincarnation just like Sooman, or Odin – whatever. You’re supposed to be on his side!”

Eric shakes his head, smiling softly. "We're not. I'm on Loki's side."

"You guys have to understand,” Eric says calmly when the others’ facial expressions start to change. “Loki is not that bad. He may be the god of mischief and he made some terrible mistakes, leading on to his banishment, but he's not entirely bad. On the other hand, Odin has always been power-crazed. He even suppresses his own brothers so they can't possibly take his throne away."

"Besides, I can't possibly fight against my own father, can't I?"

Amidst this new revelation at Eric’s status as Loki’s son, Yoochun suddenly stares at her. "Then does that mean you're also a reincarnation?"

"You know, I've been wondering about that too," Jaewon says. "What are you?"

"She's also a reincarnation of the Norse gods," Eric speaks up, looking at her right in the eye. "Did father send you here, mother?"

***

"I know it must have come as a great shock to all of you," Sooman says. "But please don't be afraid. We don’t mean any harm to you."

"In fact, we want to protect you from the upcoming end of the world."

"Some of you may have known that the four of us gathered together last June," Hyunsuk says. "That's the reasons why. Because the end of the world is coming. And we even felt the presence of the traitorous god that will lead us all to our end with his selfish actions."

"However, you guys don’t have to worry," Jinyoung says reassuringly. "We got a plan, one that would make it possible for us to not only prevents the end of the world, but also put a stop to Loki's evil plan."

"And it will also bring all of us to fame. To a position even higher than the one we already had right now."

***

"You can't be serious," Minwoo says with a choked voice, and both Hyesung and Jaejoong looks like they're really going to faint anytime soon. "This girl is your mother?!"

"This girl is my form when I put on my shield," she says, smiling sweetly. "I'm much more different in my true form…which unfortunately I can't show you because that would mean revealing my identity and giving my location away to Odin and the other reincarnations."

"But let me introduced myself properly. I am Sigyn, Loki's wife and Fenrir's mother."

“Step mother,” Eric corrected, and she rolls her eyes.

“Step mother, yeah. Anyway, I am here, because Loki sent me. He wants me to warn you about Odin's plan to prevent the Ragnarok."

"Odin planned to prevent the Ragnarok by conquering the world, forcing all human being to bow down before him and the other gods. He thinks that if he could restore everything back to it's place, balancing everything and make the human stops fighting each other, he could prevent the Ragnarok."

She sighs. "Unfortunately, he's wrong."

"By trying to conquer the world, he will only create an even greater chaos, and the world will turn into a hopeless place."

"It will only worsen everything," she says solemnly, and heavy silence once again falls upon the room.

***

"We will conquer the world."

Murmurs of disagreement and doubts instantly spread across the room, and Sooman clears his throat to gain attention.

"You guys may think that this is a mad and crazy plan, but believe me, this is the right way. Last year, I dreamed of that exact same plan. And a god's dream, for your information, is a fragment of future."

"If we could regain control over the world, if we could made humankind sees what they've done wrong, realizes their rightful place and act according to it, we could restore the balance of good and bad in the world. We could stop all the chaos and create the peaceful world we all always dreamed about."

"And if the world is no longer in chaos, the end wouldn't come."

He gazes all around the room, captivating each of his newfound army’s eyes. "Not only will we save the world, but we will also be the ruler of the world. No more hiding. We will show our true form, and the human will bow before us."

“The world will be ours!”

***

"So what do we do then?" Yoochun finally asks after some heavy silence. "That's why you gathered us here, right? You want us to help you stop his plan."

She nods. "We have to stop Odin and his army. However, the only way to do that is by facing them head on the moment they get out of their hiding."

"And that would mean starting the Ragnarok," Heejun finishes her sentence, standing up. He takes a looks around the room, and then says, "This war is none of my concerns, and I want no part in it. If you guys want to try save the world and become a hero, you guys are welcome to do so. But I'm leaving."

Heejun walks out of the room, leaving everyone else in silence. She let out a heavy sigh. "I predicted as much."

Looking at the other people around the room, she speaks again. "You guys are free to leave like him. I'm not going to force you to stay or to join me, I just want you guys to know the truth. If you want to join our army, though, I’ll be more than happy to welcome you.”

"Before I made my decision," Minwoo says, "I have some questions."

"Go ahead and ask."

"Where's Loki? You said he's supposed to lead this army and fights Odin. So where is he? Why did he send you instead?"

She smiles. "Loki sent me here instead of appearing himself because he's still undercover."

"He manages to infiltrate one of the four companies, and as of now, he's listening as Odin, Vili, Ve, and Tyr briefed him and the rest of their idols about their plan to conquer the world."

"So we know all of their plans, but they don’t know ours," Jaejoong says. "Impressive."

"Thank you. And there's more to that. Loki has also managed to spread doubts amongst their army, even convincing some to leave that side and join ours. There's also some other reincarnations in our side, but they're still out there, hiding from Odin and his subordinates."

"Last but not least, I need to emphasize to you that Ragnarok doesn't necessarily means the end of the world. It's a war to decide the fate of the world."

“In another word… if you and your army win, the world will be safe. But if Odin and his army win…” Woohyuk traileds off.

“Then it’s the end of the world, or at the very least, humanity,” Eric finishes his sentence.

"And that bring us back to the main question." She gazes into their eyes, one by one. "Will you join our army and stop Odin?"

***

"But how?" a small voice asks, and all eyes turns to Suho, who looks like he's ready to melt into a puddle of water because of all the attention focused on him. "I mean, I would love to join your plan, but I'm not sure how we can do that. We're stronger than normal humans, yes. But if they fight us with full force..."

"The wimpy boy had a point," Taecyeon nonchalantly says. "He and the other weaklings will surely get killed if they fight us with full force."

Growls of anger and dissatisfaction erupted from SM's artists, and the JYP's growl back in response.

Sooman smiles, "Stop it kids. I admire your will to fight, but this is not the right place and time."

Jinyoung nods, grinning. "And you don't have to worry about such little details, we got that covered."

The four people in the podium exchange glances, and Sooman says. "It's time we tell you another truth, the secret behind your popularity."

"All of you here know about charm, right? About your ability to manipulate your prey's senses, deluding them so they will willingly succumb to you and let you fed on them?" Sooman asks, and all of the idols nod.

"Well, we had managed to evolve that charm into something bigger," Hyunsuk says. "It's called persona."

"By putting this persona on you, we can make you looks like the embodiment of perfection, and you will trigger their deepest and darkest desire. This means, they will overlook any mistakes or flaws that you made, and they will defends you with everything they've got."

"Persona is also much handier than charm," Hong adds, "Because it doesn't need direct contact. Just watching your video, listening to your music, looking at your picture, and such is enough to polluted their mind with your persona."

"So did you guys see what we're getting at here?" Sooman asks once again. "There will be no resistance. With the global craze of K-Pop, more and more people have fallen for your persona. They will not fight us, instead they will raise their arms for us."

"And if you guys still have some doubts about our power," Hyunsuk says. "Let me erases it right now. Dongwook-ah, come forward."

Seven throws a smug glance to the other idols around him, and walks forward, taking off his shield with each step.

Once he reaches the podium, he's already in his real form. "I'm Thor, son of Odin. I'm the god of lightning and storm, and a member of the Aecond Triad," he says. "And if there's another reincarnation here, I demand you guys to show your true form."

"Well well, apparently your cockiness hasn't wear off, Thor," laughs Kangta from the back of the room, taking off his own shield. "I'm Freyr, god of prosperity and virility, also a member of the Second Triad."

"I'm Heimdallr, he who possessed foreknowledge. Son of Odin and his right hand," Yunho says and then he quickly put his shield back on. Next to him, Changmin sighs before taking off his shield.

"I'm Vidarr, god of revenge," he curtly says.

G.Na, Jiyoon, and Hyuna each take a step forward and bow to Odin after they take off their shields. "The Norns at your service, king Odin."

"Doojoon-ah," Hong calls out. "Show your true form."

With a sideways glance at the encouraging Yoseob, Doojoon takes off his shield. "I'm Ullr, god of oath," he introduces himself before going back to his position next to Yoseob.

Murmurs and talks of amazement spreads accross the room, each company's artists praising their own reincarnation, feeling more and more sure about their win. The JYP's artists, however, looks a bit unsure.

"Not so cocky now that you see what our side have huh, Ok Taecyeon?" Kyuhyun calls out, laughing along with the other Super Junior members while the EXO members throw the 2 PM's member some nasty glances.

"Shut up," Taecyeon snaps. "I can still bend you guys if I want to!"

"Oh yeah? Why don't you try huh, big guy?" Chanyeol walks forward, flame blazing in his hands.

"ENOUGH!" Sooman bellowed. "This is not the time and place to fight! You guys are not supposed to fight each other, but fight against those useless human armies, or that scum Loki and his army if he tries to stops us!"

The room fell silent, and everyone silently retreated to their respected position.

Sooman takes a deep breathe. "Now that you guys know our identity, our strength, and our plan, I'll ask you the very question that I need you guys to answer."

"Will you fight with us, to restore the balance and take our rightful place above those weak human?!"

Sooman, Jinyoung, Hyunsuk, and Hong silently counted in their mind.

Exactly five seconds after Sooman asked the question, the room erupted into a cheer of war cry, and the four gods heaves a relieved sigh.

It has started.