III.

Inner Beast

 

“Myungsoo! Woohyun’s birthday is this Friday and his folks are out of town so that means he’s going to hold a party! 10 o’clock ‘til dawn. Be there,” Sungyeol said excitedly as he slung one long arm around his friend’s broad shoulder.

“Of course he’d come! He’s my best friend after all,” Woohyun said breezily, tugging on his bag strap. “Hoya is going to bring his parent’s alcoholic stuff.”

“I thought that was going to be a surprise!” Hoya cried, knocking the blabbermouth’s head.

As Sungyeol let out his trademark laugh, Myungsoo plastered on a fake smile. “Of course I’ll come.”

 

“Myungsoo,” a lilting voice whispered.

Said man opened his eyes and saw Hyojin, sitting on the edge of his bed.

“Friday is your last day. You do know that, don’t you?”

His head moved slowly in a nod. “I don’t want to go.”

“You don’t have much of a choice,” she mumbled as a cup of coffee appeared in her hand. “Drink this.”

He pulled himself up in a sitting position and took the cup from her. He took a sip and immediately spit it out. “That was terrible.”

“I know it’s insipid,” she sighed, “but you must finish drinking it.”

Not wanting to anger her, he gulped down the brown liquid, much to his own consternation.

A pounding headache followed after he put down the cup.

 

I want to go home, Myungsoo took in his surroundings as he straightened his barely wrinkled black blazer. People grinding against each other, the sounds of laughter, the booming music and the amount of drinks in the corner of Woohyun’s spacious living room.

It sickens him, to see that they’re having so much fun while he has a “job” he wasn’t willing to do.

He walked over to his group of friends who were at the corner “bar” drinking their worries away; talking indistinctively and occasionally they would burst into boisterous laughter. After all, it was Saturday.

Today is the last day, Myungsoo thought, biting his lip.

“Hey, Woohyun. Happy Birthday,” he said, placing his hand on the birthday boy’s shoulder.

The other flinched, shielding himself with his hands. “Don’t hurt me,” he pleaded.

He’s drunk. “I thought we were over this,” Myungsoo said with an exasperated sigh.

Hoya slapped his back hard. “Cut him some slack. Poor kid is traumatized,” he slurred.

Sungyeol was sprawled on the table, knocked out, his white shirt stained with red wine.

They’re all drunk.  “Um, I think we should call it a day. Get up, both of you. I’ll carry Sungyeol,” Myungsoo muttered, barely audible.

 

“It’s almost midnight,” she whispered.

“I don’t want to do this.”

“You must.”

“I have choice. You said you weren’t coercing me, Hyojin.”

“No, you don’t have a choice and that’s because you want to do it.” She smirked.

“No, I don’t!” Myungsoo’s fist connected with the mirror, causing shards to fly and pierce his skin. He held his bloodied fist, shaking, as he took shallow breaths. “L does. Not me. We’re not the same person.”

She flinched, her smirk dropping off her face, taking a small step backward. “Actually L is you. The other you. I just brought it out.”

He turned around, his cold, dark eyes boring into her. As his head pounded, red filled the dark orbs as if wine was poured into a round bottomless glass.

“No,” he whispered. “Get out.”

“Too late,” L and Hyojin muttered in unison.

“No. No. I’m not going to let this happen again.”

“Too bad for you.”

L walked out Woohyun’s bathroom and stared at the three drunken men sprawled on the floor. “This is going to be so easy.”

Myungsoo slammed himself into the wall. “I’m not going to make it easy. You took away too much. You took away too much from me. You made my life a living hell for eight ing years.”

“I let you do it. But I won’t let it happen again,” he continued.

“Too bad for you, I’m going to make it happen again,” L said, advancing towards Sungyeol.

Myungsoo’s eyes dart around the room and he saw a pair of scissors lying next to some books on Woohyun’s table. He quickly grabbed it and jabbed it into his own arm.

“,” he muttered through clenched teeth as blood started dripping onto the carpeted floor.

“You bastard!” L growled as he pulled the scissors out and threw it aside. “You think that will stop me? A lame stab at the arm.”

“Go kill yourself,” Myungsoo mumbled.

“That’s suicide, dear Myungsoo,” Hyojin said, cackling.

“Can you shut up?” Sungyeol mumbled as he sat up, scratching the back of his head, his eyes half-opened. “I’m trying to- what the hell is happening? Myungsoo, why are you bleeding?”

“Don’t move!” Myungsoo demanded when his friend started to stand.

“Well, well. You’re awake,” L said, smirking as he bent down to pick up the scissors. He spun it in his hand as he approached Sungyeol. “Today is the last day of your life.”

“What are you doing? Myungsoo, you’re scaring me,” Sungyeol whimpered as he took tentative steps backwards.

“Oh, I’m not Myungsoo.”

“W-What?” the other stammered.

“I’ve told you.” By this time, L was in front of Sungyeol, the blade of the scissors placed on the former’s neck. “Any last words?”

“Myungsoo, I know you’re in there. I know you are. Don’t let him take over you.”

“Then why isn’t he taking over me?”

“You know you could always find someone that truly loves him and get them to kiss him to break the curse,” Hyojin said out of the blue. “I did not just say that.” She slapped her forehead and disappeared in a cloud of dust.

“That …” L mumbled. “But anyway, his girlfriend is dead, so I guess no one can break the curse.” He dropped the scissors. “Stabbing is no fun. After all I have-“

He was cut off as Sungyeol’s lips touched his. “Myungsoo, I love you,” he breathed.

The remaining rose petals withered and dropped off. And as the sun lifted itself up from between the hills, so did the curse.

“Really, Sungyeol? Do you?” Myungsoo whispered.

 “He does,” a voice said quietly.

Myungsoo looked up and saw Hyojin leaning against the wall near the bathroom door. “That was why the curse was broken. Your girlfriends didn’t truly love you. They dated you for your looks, money and popularity. That was why, even though you kissed them, the curse never was lifted.”

She let out a sigh. “You were the first one to ever break it… Good for you.” She slowly faded away. “Take care of him.”

Sungyeol wrapped his long arms around his friend. “I will,” he whispered.


Author's Note

Boom, . 

SORRY NOT SORRY.

Anyway, I'm done with this... Now, for the results. 

/crosses fingers/

Date FInished: January 5 2013

Word Count: 1119

I hope I win... :-(