II.

Inner Beast

 

Who would do this to her? Myungsoo thought that night as he lay in bed, tossing and turning. She never did anything wrong…

His phone suddenly glowed, indicating that he had gotten a call.

“Hello?”

“This is Hyojin,” said the caller.

“Sorry?”

“I’m Hyojin.”

“Who’s Hyojin?” Myungsoo raised one eyebrow.

In a blink of an eye, a beautiful young woman with wavy hair, clad in a black dress appeared in front of him, standing with her arms akimbo, scowling at the obviously frightened man.

“H-How did you…” he trailed off, staring at the woman that appeared out of nowhere in shock interlaced with hints of awe. “Who are you?”

“I told you a million times. I’m Hyojin. Park Hyojin,” she replied, the scowl, seemingly permanent, still on her youthful face.

“I don’t know you.”

Her scowl dropped and was replaced by a smirk. “Listen,” she cooed as she sat on the edge of his bed. “I can help you find your girlfriend’s killer.”

That definitely got his attention. “Really?”

“Yes.” She ran her slender fingers down his sharp jawline, sending shivers down his spine. “You just need to do me one favour.”

“I’ll do anything to bring my girlfriend’s killer to justice,” Myungsoo said with pleading eyes.

Hyojin’s eyes brightened up and her pouty pink lips curved into a smile. She leaned over and whispered into his ear and slowly his hopeful expression melted away to show pure fear.

“Alright?” she whispered huskily, tickling the bottom of his chin. “Do you want to lose everything you ever own?”

All he could manage was a hasty shake of the head.

“Good boy.” She pressed her lips on his forehead and just like that, she disappeared.

Sleep didn’t come easily after the encounter.

 

“Dude, you look exhausted,” Sungyeol remarked.

“Didn’t get much sleep last night. It was a weird night,” he mumbled as he put his head down on the table.

“What happened? Your girlfriend’s ghost appeared in front of you?” Woohyun joked, earning a punch on the arm from Hoya.  “Ouch! That was too hard! Sheesh.”

“Shut up before I hit you even harder,” Hoya said, raising his fist.

“Guys, tone it down. I didn’t sleep a wink last night,” Myungsoo groaned.

But Hoya and Woohyun continued bickering. In a blink of an eye, Woohyun was against the wall, Myungsoo’s hand around his neck. The former’s eyes widened in fear.

“Didn’t I tell you to shut the up?”

“Dude, what is wrong with you?” Sungyeol said as he tried to pry Myungsoo’s fingers off Woohyun’s neck.

“I’m not Myungsoo,” came the reply. He turned around, his eyes red. “I’m L.”

“Let… go…” Woohyun said, his voice coming out in strangled whispers.

Myungsoo blinked a couple of times and he let go of the strangled man, who dropped onto the floor, taking in shallow breaths.

Now it was his turn to be held against the wall by Hoya. “Have you gone crazy? He could have died. What the do you think will come out of strangling him?”

“No, no, he’s back. He’s back,” Myungsoo whispered to himself, his face set in an expression of pure fear.  

“Who’s back?” Sungyeol asked. “You’re scaring m—I mean us.”

“L.”

Hoya released his grip and Myungsoo fell onto the floor. He scrambled up and ran out the class.

 

He looked into the mirror.

“I look so deranged,” he mumbled between deep breaths he took.

A pounding headache took over and he clutched his head. “No, not again. Make it stop. Make. It. Stop.” He took shaky breaths as he collapsed onto the cold, tiled bathroom floor. “Get away. Get away. Please.” He was on the verge of crying. It hurts too much.

“Stand up and look at yourself in the mirror,” the voice in his head said.

“No, I won’t. I won’t.”

But his body, which didn’t want to respond to his commands, stood. His head turned to face the mirror. His reflection was of a hooded man, his face concealed by a mask, and yet, his crimson red eyes stood out, staring.

 

His bloodstained hands trembled as he looked at the two unmoving bodies, lying in a pool of crimson blood in front of him, their eyes staring lifelessly at the ceiling.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry,” he cried as two rose petals cascaded down from his hands.

 

“Myungsoo. Myungsoo,” someone whispered in his ear that night.

He opened his eyes to see Hyojin. “What?”

“Did you do it yet?” she asked with a smile.

He froze as his eyes widened and cold sweat dotted his forehead. “No.”

“I’m not coercing you, okay? I know you want to do it. To feel the thrill of it. Over and over again,” she said huskily in a low voice.

“No, no. I’m not doing it again. Not again.” Again, fear took over as memories flashed in his mind.

“Again, I’m not coercing you.”

“You are. You are coercing me. I don’t want to do this anymore. I don’t want to take away their life.”

“Four more petals. Just four,” she cooed, brushing his bangs aside. “You have one week.”

She then disappeared at whim.

 

“For being such a selfish, young boy,” she shrieked, “I will curse you.”

“What are you going to do about it?” the 10-year-old Myungsoo challenged. “You’re just some old lady that thinks she’s some wizard. Oh, I’m so scared.”

The woman muttered a few incoherent words that seemed made up. Then she handed him a rose and a piece of paper she had retrieved from inside her worn-out cloak.

“Read it, you little unworthy brat. For I am Park Hyojin, the witch who had cursed you,” she said as a cloud of smoke enveloped her and then she disappeared.

Myungsoo scoffed and was about to toss the letter and rose into the trash bin when a pounding headache hit him.

“Look in the mirror. Look in the mirror,” a little voice in his head whispered.

Curiosity got the best of him and he walked to the bathroom, the letter and rose in his hands and looked into the mirror. His reflection showed a hooded man, a mask concealing his face and yet his crimson eyes stood out, staring. Myungsoo’s heart almost dropped as his face paled. He ran out and locked himself in his room and shakily opened the letter:

Look into the mirror and what do you see?

Your true self. Your inner beast.

Do what it says. Do what he says.

The rose is useful, and for the time being don’t throw it out.

Keep it with you though you won’t notice until he takes over you.


Author's Note

Hope this chapter explains something.

One more chapter then it's done! :D

Date Finished: December 20 2012

Word Count: 1108

I feel like dying, I typed this non-stop and now my eyes... hurt...