Chapter 2

Our Keeper of Time

Kim Sunggyu:

That was the beginning of my downward spiral into the brink of insanity. Nam Woohyun. The name that would now echo endlessly in my head from this day forward.

I smiled kindly and patted him on the shoulder, noticing his flinch as my hand came in contact with his jacket. I apologized vaguely, trying not to take it to heart.

"Are you sure you don't need any help finding your next class?" He nodded, avoiding eye contact. "Mm. Let me know if you need help finding anything else." With that, I withdrew and walked away as swift as possible. It was all I could do to save the situation from becoming too painstakingly awkward.

I could feel his eyes on my back as I descended away, down the sidewalk.

What an odd kid.

His odd behavior perplexed me and it floated around in my thoughts for a while. I shook it off and walked to the bike rack I had left my only source of transportation around campus at, other than my legs of course. When I got there I looked in the space I had left her in, but she wasn't there. I paced back to the beginning, scanning the bikes over and over, confused. I was sure I'd left her here. "Great. First I fall on my face and now my bike has been stolen." I drop my bag, my things scattering all over the ground once again and pull on my hair, ruffling it up a great deal. ". .

How the hell am I supposed to get to my dorm and back on time when the damned campus is so ing huge?!" 

 

Nam Woohyun:

His hair bounced slightly as he walked away, his pace seemingly hurried, but not quite there.

I cursed my awful attitude and crunched the campus map into a ball, then threw it as far as I possibly could. It landed in a dirty water fountain filled with leaves. A couple of birds that were bathing themselves were disturbed and flew away in fright, their wings outstretched desperately.

A man on a red bicycle zipped by, and for a second I contemplated buying a bicycle for myself. I had no idea the campus would be so big, and it was exhausting just to find my first class from the dormhouse I had been assigned to.

I still hadn't met my dorm mate yet, and I wondered whom it would be and if we would get along. Lee Howon. What an ordinary name.

My thought process was rudely interupted with "Catch that biker! Catch him! Someone! That bike is stolen!" Biker? What biker? The red one? I looked around and spotted Kim Sunggyu, flustered and red, pointing in the direction the bike had gone. He was panting and stumbling around as he ran quite clumsy-like. I twisted my neck back around to see the hill the cyclist had disappeared over a few moments before my brain wandered into its incoherent thoughts.

On a whim, I started running and bolted over the hill. I could see the stolen bicycle and the thieving cyclist in the distance, gaining ground much quicker than I could run. I had given up after a few moments, knowing there was no way I would catch him. I bent over my knees, now sweaty and breathless, and not long after, Kim Sunggyu had caught up, looking much more distraught than I. He stopped a few steps infront of me and turned around, gasping for air. "You... Wouldn't... Happen to.... Know... What... The culprit's face.... Looked like... Do you?" I straightened up and fixed my hair, trying to look as if nothing had happened.

I couldn't help but notice a bead of sweat that dripped from his temple and ran down his neck, over his collarbone, and out of sight. I swallowed hard, diverting my gaze again.

"No, I didn't catch his face." He sighed a heavy sigh just as he was able to regain control of his breathing. Throwing up his hands he walked away mumbling to himself.

I'm not quite sure why, but in that moment, I wished I had kept running, and somehow, had been able to catch the guy. 

 

Kim Sunggyu:

I scoffed and threw my hands into the air. I mumbled various violent thoughts and walked away. Now I was going to have to muster up the money for an other bike, and I had no idea where that money would come from.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, interrupting my tirade of curse words and negative vibes. "I can catch him for you." I turned around to see the awkward kid with a stern face. "Right. You do that." He kept his gaze steady, not wavering a bit. "I can. Really." I nodded, not honestly believing it. "Alright. Go do it then. Let's see what you do."

He turned around and sprinted off in a completely different direction. Within minutes he was racing down the road on a bike of his own and I laughed a deep, loud, throaty bellow of amusement. "This kid is crazy! He didn't seriously just steal a bicycle to catch a stolen bicycle!" His eyes were narrowed with deterimation and he pedaled furiously. I found myself gawking, standing there, staring in the direction he had long disappeared in.

Nam Woohyun, the insane, unpolite, awkward hubae. Yet... Why does this personality intrigue me?

 

Nam Woohyun:

The day had passed, and I sat on the floor infront of the microwave in my new dormitory room, reflecting on all of the events of the day. I still hadn't seen hide nor hair of my dorm mate and was quite anticipating his arrival.

I watched the time go down on the microwave and listened to the familiar hum of a machine I had used my whole life. The smell of my fried rice was starting to fill my nostrils as the time remaining dimmed. I bounced up and down excitedly, my lips and salivating like a rabid fiend. 4... 3... 2... 1...

Just then as the microwave beeped, the door burst open and startled me. I came unglued and jumped from my skin, scrambling all over the floor trying to stand up. My eyes met with the boy who opened the door and he looked wary. "Ah.. You just. Startled me." I scratched the back of my head and gave an awkward smile. He stayed silent, but returned my smile, then looked at the microwave. "Your food is done. Are you Nam Woohyun?" I glanced at the microwave then back at him. "Ah. Yes. You must be Lee Howon." He grimaced. "Just call me Hoya."

I dipped my head curtly and scuffled to the microwave, pressing the open button and popping the door open. He chuckled quietly. "You're timid even though you're older than me." I pondered this for a second. "Only by a month or so though." He set his things down on the counter. "I see."

I pulled my bowl of reheated fried rice from the microwave and sat on the bottom of the bunk bed in our small, two-room dormitory. It had the kitchen counter and other small versions of various kitchen utilities in one room, along with the small dresser and bunk bed shoved in the back against the window, and the bathroom with a shower, sink, and toilet. I cursed when I realized I had forgotten to pick up some chopsticks.

Hoya turned his head for a second, taking note of my foul mouth and went back to organizing his clothes in his two drawers on the bottom.

I gave a silent apology and dipped my bowl to my face, shaking it and waiting for the rice clumps to fall into my mouth. Once I had finished my rice I layed down on the mattress, throwing my arms above my head and looking up at the bars holding the top bunk.

"I guess you've claimed bottom then." I nodded and closed my eyes, waiting for sleep to befall me.

 

Kim Sunggyu:

Nam Woohyun had returned my bicycle within 20 minutes. He didn't say a word, just handed it over and walked away. I blinked, highly surprised at his accomplishment, and thankful.

When I saw him walking back, two bicycles at either side, my eyes couldn't believe it. How had he done it?

He left, the other bicycle still at his flank, assuming he went to return it. His profile, as he hopped back on the other bike, racing away was quite handsome, and I had to shake my head, dismissing the thought.

The rest of my day was filled with that view.

I was unable to shake it, and I started to feel angst. Why was I all distressed over some rude awkward kid with a pretty face? Much less, a boy? Was it his seemingly uncaring facade? Maybe the good deed he had done for me? "Whatever it is, you had better forget it." I told myself. "Kim Sunggyu does not waver for those without manners."


Author's Note:

Hello, again. Second chapter. I hope this one was not too sloppy. It seems the boys are having some strange feelings they can't comprehend. -giggle- I may be updating this slowly from now on, since school tends to be a priority. I hope you all can understand and stay strong. I promise to try and write as often as possible. Though I must mention that I tend to have more writing drive when people comment and communicate with me, haha. Alright, well, I must be going now. Please stay well and I will see you all next chapter. Thank you so much for reading. Lots of love and lots of kisses.

Wriggly Kiddies