001;

Arranged Love

 

                ChaeRin was just a normal girl full of dreams. She wasn’t popular, but she wasn’t bullied either. She was not the prettiest, or she was the ugliest. She was not the happiest, but she wasn’t the saddest. Her life was so so, but she liked the way it was. Nothing too much, nothing too little. It was comfortable.

 

 

                She hated big changes, she hated too much attention. She was happy being one of the mass, she always thought that, if life was a book, she would be that person whom the protagonist would bump into when he was running after his true love, but was never mentioned again in the other pages.

 

 

                Her mother, who was completely the opposite, liked the attention. She was always full of make-up, tremendous red lips and long eyelashes. The face full of powder, and the eyes always so cold and so lifeless. ChaeRin would often compare her to those characters in those books whom were the kind hearted antagonist.

 

 

                Her father was a busy business man, owner of a respectable enterprise. ChaeRin didn’t quite knew what that enterprise was for, because she never really was interested in it. Of course her father was always bragging about how good was his business, but the girl always forgot, never really listening to what he had to say. He was a tall Korean man, with a bald in the middle of his head, which he always tried to cover with a wig.

 

 

              Her parents were really something. She loved them, but she always felt like a outsider with them, with their friends, with the sons and daughters of their friends. It was those children who make ChaeRin start to think that she was just someone in the mass, someone that would never be the protagonist. They were always so beautiful, so talented. At first, they always intimidated the little girl with cat eyes, but then, she get used with it, and started to admire them.

 

 

                But her parents weren’t really happy with it. They were worried that their little girl wouldn’t be able to hold their big name. The name of one of the most successful real estate business in all Korea. ChaeRin wasn’t really worried about it, because she knew she wasn’t able to hold that big name. Secretly, she wished that her mother could give her a little brother, but unfortunately, she was the only child. She felt bad for her parents, honestly.

 

 

But her mother wasn’t satisfied. And her father was nearly broken. She saw all the fights, and couldn’t stop the feeling of guilty – and she didn’t even knew why she felt that way. If only I could do something… She thought.

 

 

                And she could. At least in her mother’s mind.

 

 

                One day, when her mother came to wake her up – which wasn’t something that occurred too frequently – the woman entered the room with the brightest smile in her too red lips, showing her too white teeth.

 

 

“ChaeRin, my daughter!” She started, the reflex of the sun on that smile almost made the girl half asleep blind. “I have great news to you!”

 

 

“What is it, mom?” She asked, hoarsely.

 

 

“You’re going to marry!”