Chapter 2

Tables Are Turned

 

JIYEON POV

November 3, 2010

Dear diary,  

 

Day 15 here in New York. I miss Seoul, but I'm not allowed to mention anything to my parents. So far they like it here... A lot! I ,on the other hand, don't. I just got enrolled yesterday and some girls weren't so nice. Ugly es.... Oh! Sorry. Still adjusting with this... Uhmm.... Trying to be nice thing. Okay so anyway... I'm here to tell you another story slash reflection of who I was back in the days....

 

Back in my 2nd year of high school there was this weird fat girl who kept on following me and copying everything that I do, wear and like. She would also give me gifts every time and buy food for me. The way she looked at me was really annoying, it was as if I was someone whom she adored most in this world. Like I was really perfect in her eyes that she tried her damn hardest to become like me.

There was this event in our school that day and we were allowed to not wear our uniform but instead go with whatever we liked to wear. So I wore whatever I picked from my closet first 'cause I was in a hurry to meet up with Jong In that day. I wore a green cardigan that I got back when we went to Tokyo for a family vacation a month ago and a white tank top inside. Together with a high waist pink ivory lace skirt matched with white Mesh open toe pumps. Hey, even though I'm in a hurry I won't ,for the love of God, let myself look ugly with ugly clothes. Not that I have any ugly clothes hiding in my closet. I always have to look good. That's the golden rule. I mean, my golden rule.

 

So as I got to school and saw everyone else all settled down seated in their seats I, of course, made sure that everyone would notice my arrival. I made sure to walk down the center with my head held high. Everyone looked at me, most of them in awe some with utter disbelief that I actually had the nerve to be such an attention . But I'll have you know, I'm not the type to thirst and want attention, they simply give it to me on a silver platter. You can't really blame me, I was born with it. Okay, I'm being vain and self centered again. So back to the topic... The moment I sat next to Jong In I heard this weird girl call my name. When I looked at her I saw her in tears. She took her headband off and tried to rip her blue cardigan. Everyone who was staring at her was in utter shock. She was a mess in front of the whole student body.

 

She then started going to where we were seated. Jong In stood up to stop her from going anywhere near me but the weird girl kept saying inaudible words. I did catch up on a sentence or two: "You said you're wearing the blue cardigan..." "I wanted us to wear the same thing!" I had no idea what she was trying to say and I don't even remember talking to her about what I was going to wear.

 

"What are you saying?" I asked her as I grab Jong In's hand off of her shoulder. I did not want my boyfriend touching such an ugly pig.

"You," she sniffed loudly before continuing. "I overheard you and Jessica talking about what you would wear in class yesterday. And when I heard you were going to wear a blue cardigan I thought it was the one you posted on your blog 3 months ago. So I was overjoyed because I actually found the same one just a week ago. I thought we were gonna wear the same thing. But why didn't you tell me you're gonna wear a different color?" she tried to take my hand but Jong In stopped her. 

"Why would I tell you that anyway?" I asked taking Jong In's hand again. 

"I even asked you about it before we had lunch yesterday and you said yes. I also asked you to tell me if you're gonna change plans." she explained. 

"Who are you anyway? What makes you think that you have the right to know what I'll wear or if I change my mind? Who do you actually think you are?!" I shouted at her as I pushed her with one hand. She just kept looking down. 

"Jiyeon.... I'm your best friend.... Right?" she looked up and waited for my answer. Both Jessica and I snorted loudly. 

"Best friend? , I don't even know your name." We laughed sarcastically at how pathetic she was and then left her alone with her miserable crying. 

 

The next day I found a letter and some cookies in my locker saying she was sorry for last night and that she asked her mom to help her make these cookies. "I hope you like them, Jiyeon-ah. I stayed up all night making them with umma. Please forgive me." "Ridiculous," I commented as I crumpled the piece of pink paper. I took the cookies though and ate them as I walked to my next class, I passed her by and she smiled brightly when she saw me eating the cookies, she then started following me again like a puppy as if nothing happened last night. 

 

_______________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The moment I got off the taxi and entered the university campus I felt my heartbeat started beating loudly. "Finally, I'm back and it feels good!" I smiled  while I was looking around. Not many people were there. Probably because it's the start of the winter break and most of them went home or are inside their dorms. I made my way to the registrar to settle a few things with the business office and get my class schedule for the next term. I was also given a map of the campus, but with me it was useless. The university was huge and I had no sense of direction in me.

I was trying to look for the university dorms but I somehow ended up in a building that was actually the university's basketball court. It was really dark inside but strangely enough there was one guy in there and he looked... Dead. He was lying  on the floor with his hands and legs spread apart. He had blonde curly hair and he was pale white. As I started going near him I noticed that he had his red lips parted and drool was coming out of his mouth. He's not dead.  He's just asleep, thank heavens! I tried poking him to wake him up but he did not even move. I then again started considering the fact that he might really be dead. He might have died in his sleep, but he was breathing though.

 

"Excuse me?" I tried whispering in his ear. "Excuse me?" this time around a little louder. "Excuse me?" I tried slapping him lightly but I ended up slapping him real hard when he suddenly opened his eyes as if he just rose from the dead. "Oh my God!" I screamed as I tried to back away from him. He on the other hand was speechless, probably because of the impact of my slapping. He just stared at me completely in shock while I stared at him in complete horror. 

 

"Lady, what the heck?" he raised his voice as he tried to stand up.

"I'm sorry. I was trying to wake you up." I said as I tired to get back on my feet as well. 

"Well, you sure got me. Tell me, do you usually do that to people you are trying to wake?" he said as he tried to pick his bag up, the one he was using as a pillow earlier and slung the bag over his shoulders. 

"I... I really don't." I answered him, really embarrassed about earlier. "I'm really sorry." 

"Yeah, well, that sorry ain't going to stop my face from hurting is it now?" he remarked sarcastically as he made his way out of the building. 

"I was going to ask you a question. I'm quite lost." I tried to run after him but he still would not face me. "I'm new here and you're the only one I could ask around here cause everyone seems to be...." I stopped at my sentence as he turned around to face me, shooting daggers at me with his eyes. I was pretty sure he was about to tell me to go away but he stopped at his sentence midway. His face was pretty near mine and his eyes scanned my face like it was some scanner.  His gaze softened and he looked away.  What was he being embarrassed about? 

 

"I.. Uhmm...." he started stuttering. "What were you saying again?" he asked.

"I'm lost and I was trying to find the university dorms.... I reckoned you would know where they are located. I mean, this school is huge and I have no idea how to even locate any of this places here." I said as I pointed at the map with my hand. 

"I'm Junhong. But call me Zelo." he suddenly said as he faced me. He looked shy like a little puppy. What happened here? Five minutes ago he was a bulldog who was about to to bite my head off and now he's acting like this shy little boy? 

"Okay... I'm Jiyeon." I bowed and tried my best to smile at him. "Jiyeon," he repeated and smiled at himself afterwards. I wasn't insensitive nor too innocent to not notice his little crush on me. It was cute, I admit. But I really got to find the dorm, my suitcases are really heavy and it's too cold outside!

"I.. Uhmm.. Zelo-sshi... The dorms?" I reminded him. "Oh.. Yeah... Right this way." he led the way and picked up two of my  luggage bags together with my hand carry bag. 

 

 

 

"It says here this is your dorm. You're at the same dorm as my noona then." he told me as he smiled cheerfully at me again. That smile was creeping me out 10 minutes ago but I slowly got used to it.  "Oh, your noona?" I shouldn't have asked. "Oh.. No. Jiyeon-sshi, please don't think that I have a girlfriend. She's my older step sister. Don't worry. I'm single, Jiyeon-sshi." he took my hand and looked at me sincerely. "No... I was actually asking what your noona's name is." 

"Oh," he rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. "Her name is Suzy." 

"Oh, she has a nice name." I commented. "Yours is nicer." he murmured to himself but I heard him loud and clear.

"Okay, I'm gonna go inside now, cause I'm really tired. I just got back from a long plane ride and the jetlag's kicking in. I guess I'll see you around?" I smiled sincerely at him.

"Uhm.. Not really that much." he smiled awkwardly at me as he took my hand again. "Would you date me even if I was only 17?" he asked me. 

"What? You're a highschooler? You're too tall to be one but that explains the baby face then." I looked at him. Why didn't I notice it before? He was practically a walking giant baby. 

"Ye-yeah..." he let go of my hand and started rubbing the back of his neck again. He was blushing all different shades of pink. Cute. 

"How do you know this place so much then? And why are you loitering around here? Are you even allowed here?" I asked him really concerned.

"My uncle owns the school." he replied. "And my dad asked me to give my noona something but I found out a while ago that she went to Australia with her boyfriend for some dance competition his boyfriend's group was in. Tsk. She did not even inform us. How could she possibly do that?" 

"Oh," was all I could say. "Maybe she was busy?"

"Nahh. She just didn't want us to know. Anyway, I'll see you around noona. I'll do my best to always come here and visit you." he told me as he waved me goodbye. I smiled at him and did the same. I was expecting him to leave after that but he just stood there looking at the floor. "Zelo... Do you... Need something?" I asked. 

"Noona," he looked up. "Please give me your number. Please!"