Red Petals

My Secret Stash

                I had no idea that such terrible accidents could happen because of this tiny device. Due to this harmless-looking box, buried in my palm, something dreadful had occurred causing my life to be filled with regrets. An undying feeling which would haunt me in my dreams every time I closed my eyes, forcing me to stay awake on still nights. No matter how much tears I had shed, this event could never be turned back. Never.

                A couple of years ago, I was a happy 23 years old woman who was surrounded by good people. Living in the house with my beloved family, going to work and greeted by my colleagues- I was certainly living my life to the fullest, no sense of regrets.

                It was just another typical Sunday for me as I was lazing around being like any other couch potatoes. A few hours passed by and the only activity I had been doing in my spare time was, staring at the clock endlessly. “What should I do?” I thought out loud and got up from the couch with a sigh.

                The moment my heels stepped onto the soft surface of the carpet, an idea suddenly came across my mind as an invisible bulb lightened up at the top of my head. Hurriedly, I went to take a quick yet refreshing shower and slipped into some decent clothes.

                Clothes had never been something complicated in my life. For me, comfortable was the key to the perfect dress and I hold onto my principle dearly. Some of my dear friends had offered to help me change my style into something more fashionable but it did not even trigger my interest one bit. So, they tend to give up on me after trying for a while.

                Finally, I was out of my condominium, heading towards the lift which was only a few doors away. However, disappointment washed over my face as soon as I stopped in front of the lift. Right in front of me, a sign that stated, ‘Under construction’ was pasted on the door of the lift making me ruffle my hair in frustration. Why must it be today?

                I did not give up since such words never existed in my dictionary. I went down the flight of stairs since it was the best option that was available at that moment. While I was skipping down the stairs, I fished out for my cell phone and dialled my mother’s number. After a few beeps, a familiar soothing voice was clearly heard on the other line. It was my mother. “Mom! I’m coming to pick you up today,” I said ecstatically.

                “Where are we going?” my mother sounded curious as she continued to ask, “What’s the occasion anyway?”

                Like a child, I giggled and answered, “Since Mother’s Day is coming in a few days, and I want to pamper you, so that on Mother’s Day, you would look marvellous.” My mother did not question me any longer; instead, she just let out a small chuckle and told me to drive safely.

                From the twentieth floor, I arrived at the parking lot, half an hour later. Still panting tenuously, I put in my keys and my engine roared to life. It was nice to be out of the house, exposing myself to the world outside. However, my happy mood was crashed immediately when my eyes caught the gas meter in front of me. If I continue on driving, I would be stranded at the side of the road due to lack of gas.

                I grumbled to myself and cruised into the nearest gas station. It was as if God was unwilling to let me continue on my journey today. After filling up my car with enough gas, I ran to the flower shop nearby and bought a bouquet of red roses for my mother. I wanted to surprise with these flowers, she would certainly be pleased by my act. I was feeling positive about my decision and went back to my car, driving off to my parents’ house with any further delay.

                At that moment, I was excited, too excited I must say. I pictured my mother’s happy face when I show her the flowers, the sheer joy that she would receive when I bring her to the spa and saloon later. It was so overwhelming, my hand itched to reach for my cell phone and call my mother one last time before meeting her.

                In front of me, the traffic light was green. My foot was still pressed on the gas pedal with both of my hands gripping on the steering wheel tightly but my mind was somewhere else. After debating for a few minutes, I could not prevent myself any longer and reached into my handbag in search of my cell phone.

                There seemed to be a complication. The cell phone was deep inside the handbag that I had no choice but inched forward a little more. I grunted for a while. Where was my cell phone when I need it? So, I moved another inch to the front to grab a hold of it as I kept my eye on the road and one hand on the steering wheel.

                It was as though my cell phone was lost in the handbag which I had purchased a few months ago after receiving my monthly pay check. I started to grow irritated when I could not find my cell phone and took my eyes off the road for a split second. That was the worst decision I had ever made in my entire life-literally.

                While I was busy rummaging through my handbag, I did not take notice of the traffic light turning red ahead of me as my eyes had diverted its attention on searching for my cell phone for those couple of minutes. At that time, a huge lorry was coming towards the opposite side and crashed onto the side of my car, it screeched and skidded along the road.

                I could feel the huge impact but I was too stunned to even yell. The headlight of the lorry, the turning of my car and the screeching sound seemed to play in a slow motion before me. It was when I finally smashed into the huge tree that the breath which was caught at the back of my throat all along was released- I gasped.

What was happening?

                Blinking and looking around, everything seemed blurry as nothing made sensed to me at that very moment. I could not feel anything and my sight was sleeping away but then my eyes caught something. It was the bouquet of flower I had bought earlier for my dearest mother.

               The red petals were scattered all over the place. A tear leaked from the corner of my eyes as I uttered, “I’m sorry mom. Happy Mother’s Day.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi! Another random one-shot by me! Well, it was actually an essay I gave to my teacher for my English class but I thought that I wanted to post it up here^^ So, this idea was actually haunting me for a few weeks and that's why I decided to put this idea into my essay.

Sorry because I didn't include any kpop idol in here but I can promise you that I'll include one in the next one-shot^^ But what did you think of this one-shot? Yeah, the last one-shot was about accident and this one-shot is about another accident but I can't help myself... for the next one-shot, I want to stay away from the road, so, stay tune!

Comments are loved and greatly appreciated!