A Candle in My Dark World

My Secret Stash

“I love you,” he said to me while I smiled and snuggled in his arms. Both of us were cuddling on a bed in a dark room and we were only accompanied by the light from the bed-side lamp.  He caressed my hair as I breathed in his scent which I had yearned for years. “I love you,” he said again while I stayed silent and replied by hugging him tighter. A tear leaked from the corner of my eyes as I carved a smile and stared into his deep brown eyes.

******

                Few years ago, we met for the first time at a dancing studio when I was just an ordinary trainee at a big agency named Source Entertainment. From the corner of the practice room he flashed me a smile, the only smile which can brighten up my lugubrious days. With a palpitating heart, I tried to focus in class but failed. My eyes would always wander at the corner of the room searching for him, wanting to see his smile again. After a week, it had turned into a routine for me to search for him and a routine for him to either smile or wave at me at the corner of the room but we never talked. I dreamt about his addictive smile day and night, not being able to take it off my mind. ‘I’m in love with him,’ I finally whispered in my heart after a few months seeing him from a far.

                One day, I walked out of my vocal class when I find myself standing in the rain. I looked up the sky letting the rain droplets soak my black shirt not even thinking to budge. Slowly, tears started to trickle down my cheeks as the feeling of disappointment started to attack my already solemn heart. It was definitely one of the worst days of my life because I had totally lost my voice and was forced to stop singing in order to recuperate.

                Feeling disappointed in myself for not being able to take serious care of my health, the tears kept on trailing down my cheeks as I saw my dream as a singer slipped away from me. My debut date as a singer had to be pushed and I was callously replaced by another trainee younger than me. “You have to go through an operation if you want your voice back,” the doctor’s words kept on replaying in my head.

                Suddenly the rain stopped as I started to crease my forehead in confusion because of the sudden change. Then, I lifted my head and almost immediately, my eyes bulged opened in shock. Just right in front of me, he was standing with an umbrella in his hand and wearing my favourite accessory that was his beautiful bright smile. “You’ll catch a cold,” he said while I just stared at him. That was the first time he had ever spoken to me.

                “I’m Shin Eunhye,” I said through chattering teeth after he introduced himself to me.

                “So what were you doing in the rain alone?” he asked me as he was busy drying my hair in his living room while I awkwardly smiled at him after hearing his question.

                “I am supposed to debut as a singer in a month but I… lost my voice a few days ago. So, I went to the doctor yesterday and he said… I have to go through an operation to fix my condition. Today, I told my vocal trainer about my condition and she immediately told me to stop singing for a while until my voice comes back… but she also said if my voice never comes back… I’ll… I’ll…,” there was not even a single hint of awkwardness creeping into me when I told him my problem as I felt weird by my own behavior.

                “You can’t sing forever?” he whispered as I nodded sadly.

                “They pushed my debut date and replaced me with another trainee below me,” I said more.

His smile was my only my way to stay strong and when it suddenly faded I felt as if my whole world had suddenly darkened and I was slowly engulfed in emptiness. “Please smile… Don’t frown…” I whispered, tears threatening to fall. He looked at me, still in a serious expression without a smile on his face making the lump that was forming in my throat to grow more.

“Why?” he asked, looking straight into my eyes, lips few inches away from me.

Feeling alarmed, I quickly looked down and stared at the black carpet, suddenly regretting for telling him my problem. He placed two fingers under my chin as shivers rippled through my whole body causing me to clam my lips tightly. Slowly, he lifted my face so that our eyes are on the same level. “Tell me,” he whispered as I felt his breathe on my lips.

“I don’t know why… but I hate it when you don’t smile. It makes me feel sad because your smile is like a candle in my dark world,” I finally confessed, feeling as if my cheek were burning.

Our conversation was cut short when he planted a kiss on my lips. Naturally, I wrapped my arms around his neck while he covered my whole body with his strong yet sweet scent. The night grew darker and it was raining so heavily outside but we had no knowledge or interest in our surrounding as we were too busy exploring a new hidden world in each other.

Years passed by at the speed of light. We were inseparable while our relationship grew stronger within the years. My usual boring day has brightened up because he was always there beside me with a smile, telling me everything is alright. “I love you, Eunhye-ahh…” he said to me one day when we were relaxing in the living room.

“Love you too…” I replied with a huge smile on my face.

“Eunhye-ahh…” he suddenly whispered my name in my ears and I craned my neck to look at him. “When you dream about me… That means I miss you. When the sun is shining brightly that means I’m hugging you,” he caressed my hand and continued, “ When it rains that means I’m sad for not being able to be with you… When you look out the window at night and see the stars, it means I’m smiling at you. So… always remember I’m everywhere and always by your side. Remember that,” he suddenly said making me worried.

“Are you okay? Are you not telling me anything?” I sat up and faced him.

He flashed his smile which never failed to make my heart flutter and grabbed me from the waist. “It’s nothing… Don’t worry about anything,” he said and kissed me on my forehead as a reassurance. “I’m sleepy,” he pouted and rested his head on my lap while I caressed his hair lovingly.

2 days later, I was walking along the road heading straight to the café near my house to meet up with him. As I was crossing the road, feeling happy to see him waving at me at the side of the road, my ears suddenly heard a honk and I immediately craned my head to the right. A big black car was coming towards my direction and I fidgeted in the middle of the road. I saw him running towards me looking alarmed but my feet would not budge and it was as if they were glued to the road. I took a long deep breathe, shut my eyes tightly and waited for the car to hit me.   

The pain that I was prepared for did not even attack me; instead a strong force had pushed me as I tumbled to the side of the road. At first, I was perplexed as the world seems to be in slow motion. My eyes were scanning around the place trying to solve the puzzle when I started to realize that a crowd of people were gathered to look at something.

I stood up wobbly and staggered towards the crowd of people feeling ambivalent. When I saw a familiar figure lying in a pool of blood in the middle of the road my heart instantly shattered into millions of pieces as tears started to trail down my cheeks uncontrollably. “Oppa!” my eyes widen and I wobbly ran towards the person who was lying in a pool of blood.

His head was rested on my lap but this time he was not going to sleep for a while, he was going to sleep and leave me forever. Blood was oozing out of his wound profusely but he still had a smile on his face to comfort me. “Oppa… Don’t leave me… Why did you do that?” I asked him as my face was covered in tears.

“I’m okay… Don’t… cry… If… you… don’t cry… I can go… with a… smile…” he said with his forehead creased, trying to maintain a smile on his face.

“You’ll be okay, oppa. You’ll be okay… Someone HELP!” I started to look around frantically.

“Sh… Stay… with me,” he said and caressed my cheeks with his bloody hand.

“I love you… I love you… I love you… I won’t ever forget you… I love you…” I said into his ears forcing myself to smile.

“I…love…you… al..ways… ” he said and let out his final breathe.

 

******

 

I closed my eyes and snuggled in his arms. I wanted to reply him. I wanted to say I love him too but I my mouth was not able to function. Helplessly, I kept on staring into his deep brown eyes hoping he would understand me. I hugged him tighter but I could feel him slipping away from me slowly as I was feeling alarmed knowing that he would soon fade away like always. “I love you… Remember that,” he whispered in my ears for the last time and with a soft smile on his face, he left me alone on the bed in the dark room.

“Oppa!” I gasped as my eyes snapped opened and I was completely wide awake. Frantically, I looked around my bedroom. My eyes perused the room thoroughly searching for a missing piece of my heart which had been missing for years. “It was… a dream…” I wiped away my tears and hugged my knees to my chest. “It was just a dream,” I whispered to myself, feeling my eyes getting watery again as I rock my body back and forth trying to comfort myself.

“I miss you Jonghyun oppa… I love you” I said between sobs.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi! So, what did you guys think about the one-shot? It's Jonghyun! Hehe>< Comments are welcomed here with an open heart! So fire it to me! Stay tune for the next one-shot!^^