Chapter 10

The Painter's Shell

 

Kray; The Painter’s Shell 10/10

The touches from the dream lingered on his skin. Patches of sunlight blinded him as he cracked open his eyes, leaving him vulnerable to the sudden assault of the blinding white lights from the windows and he groaned. It didn’t help that his eyes were feeling swollen, like someone had just put a vacuum over his eye sockets.

In his grogginess, he also couldn’t shake off the fact that something was covering his body. Soft, warm and smelling entirely familiar.

Blanket.

He sat up quickly, looking around. He was in his room. Last night, he was pretty sure that he had trudged downstairs, feeling worthless and vulnerable as hell. And then-

“Let’s go upstairs,” Yixing’s voice was soft, trembling.

Cold dread settled in his stomach when realization dawned on him. Last night had not been a dream?

Knowing that it wasn’t, didn’t comfort him. If anything, it only made intense the worry that constantly flooded his mind now, of Yixing’s perception of him. With slightly weakened legs, he stood to fulfil his morning duties.

--

His heart hammered in his chest as he stared at the doorknob he had so carelessly opened a few months prior. Should he knock? It isn’t exactly proper if he just walked in, right? He promptly debated whether he should just forget everything and just leave this blanket on his bed, letting Yixing take it himself or just knock. The immaculately folded blanket that he held in his hands had started to become a bit untidy and it irked him.

With a grunt, he unfolded it. In an instant, Yixing’s scent invaded his senses, bringing forth the longing that he had tried to confine to the back of his mind. He couldn’t deny that he missed the other dearly, and just his scent could make him feel better, so he brought the unfolded blanket up to his nose, closing his eyes.

Click.

It took about a minute for Kris to realise that the door in front of him was open, and that Yixing was looking at him with wide eyes.

“I-“ He felt himself flush. His cheeks turned warmer as he fumbled clumsily to refold the blanket with clammy hands. “I came to return this to you,”

The blanket was embarrassingly untidy when he handed it to Yixing, but the other didn’t complain. Instead, he kept looking at him with those wide eyes, unconsciously stripping Kris’s defences.

Great, now he thinks I’m a giant creeper.

“And I- I just wanted to say sorry, for all-“

“Who are you?”

“The things I’ve done and-“ Kris looked up in surprise. “What?”

“Who are you?” Yixing asked again, staring straight at him. Kris searched his face for signs of pretention, but he could find none.

“I’m- Kris?” He pointed to himself, feeling stupid. What the hell was wrong? “Your husband?”

“I don’t see a ring on my hand,” Yixing said with a quirked eyebrow, holding his left hand out. Kris was taken aback by this sudden change. It didn’t look at all like Yixing had forgotten him, and he couldn’t have hit his head anywhere, since Yixing was a careful person. But the moment he stared into those eyes, he found mischief twinkling underneath the stern pools of thin ice.

His mind connected Yixing’s sentence with it and; oh.

Oh.

And he grinned nervously.

“You wait here,” Kris said before running off to his room, rummaging around his room to find that little velvet box that he had kept from prying eyes. Frankly, he couldn’t remember where he put it either, but at last he found it tucked safely in the pocket of a jacket hanging in his closet.

By that time, his heart was already threatening to break out of his chest, cold sweat had started to bead on his forehead and he wiped them on his sleeve, silently praying that he wouldn’t make a fool out of himself. With Yixing’s current treatment towards him, he didn’t know what to predict.

“I uh- my mom asked me to marry you,” He explained bashfully, lowering his head as he fiddled with the velvet box.

“I don’t know. I don’t even know you,” Yixing faked, pouting. Kris had to stop himself from melting right then.

“But your mom has complete faith in me! So that won’t be a bad thing, right? I mean- look at me now, what do you see? Of course your mom likes me!” Kris started to babble before smiling nervously, beckoning Yixing to look at him.

“I only see blonde hair and a frown,” Yixing suppressed a chuckle, the corners of his lips slightly pulled up in a soft smile.

“What- but I just might surprise you, so would you please?” He said finally, holding out the open velvet box before ducking his head slightly, to level his head with Yixing’s.

“I don’t know,” Yixing whined, looking at the sparkling ring inside. “My mom told me I was supposed to marry someone kind, cheerful and- rich. I didn’t hear her mention blondes, though.”

“Please, Yixing? I’ll even dye my hair black if you want me to,” Kris stepped closer, bringing the box closer to Yixing’s chest.

“Are you kind?” He asked, looking up from under his long eyelashes with mirth. Kris could practically hear him laughing in his head.

But the question was hard, and it took a moment before Kris cleared his throat. When he spoke again, his voice was bordering on soft, but he found that it was only appropriate.

“I am.” Confidence poured out his every pores. “I am, but sometimes I lose control,” He said the last part with obvious shame, and he didn’t try to hide it. “But after that, guilt will eat me alive. I promise, though. To be kind to you,”

Yixing watched him with a smile and a tender look in his eyes, humming to himself.

“Good enough,” He congratulated him silently. “Are you cheerful?”

At that, Kris laughed.

“You said yourself how the only thing you’ve seen in me is blonde hair and a frown, so that kinda explains things a bit, don’t you think?He chuckled lightly, his smile wide to reveal a set of white teeth. “I’m a dragon,”

“As much as I hate frowns, I think a dragon is rare, so I wouldn’t pass it up,” Yixing smiled as he leaned against the doorframe. It unnerved Kris how Yixing was getting closer every second before asking the last question. “Are you rich?”

“Of course. I’m the richest man on Earth! Not in terms of money maybe,” His fingers tingled when they finally touched the soft skin of his cheek, tracing down to his jaw. “But if my love for you could be sold, then the world would be drowning in my gold.”

Yixing gave a sweet, spontaneous laugh, its sound triggering a similar smile on Kris’s face.

“You know that that was lame, right?” Yixing scoffed, though the red on his cheeks said otherwise.

“I’m just trying to be romantic!” Kris exclaimed, abashed. Then he held the box up again. “So, marry me?”

“You are the most hopeless idiot, with no restraint whatsoever over your anger, and a constant frown on your face, but yeah. I’ll marry you,” Yixing said albeit breathlessly, his smile growing so wide Kris’s heart ached.

Kris’s fingers were shaking badly when he slipped the ring on the ring finger of his left hand, over the vein that connects directly to Yixing’s heart, but Yixing said nothing. Instead, he pulled the other in for a kiss, taking his breath away.

When they pulled away again, Kris felt light, like he was floating on nothing, carried by the winds. This moment was perfect, and Kris didn’t want it to end as he pressed their foreheads together, sharing their breaths.

“So I’m forgiven?”

“Ah, about that.” At that, a glint flashed dangerously in Yixing’s eyes as he looked up. “I still have some memories that make it hard to just forgive and forget,”

Then Kris felt Yixing’s finger trail up his abdomen, tracing up the subtle lines of his muscles, making his breath hitch. Warmth sparked underneath his fingertips, arousing him.

“I was thinking maybe you can replace those memories,” Yixing whispered against his ear, the low, sultry baritone of his voice sending shivers down his spine. When their eyes connected again, Kris let himself be lost in the seductive gaze.

“Gladly,”

--

Kris was in bliss, in Yixing’s arms, comfortably nestled in warmth when the doorbell rang. Yixing stirred beside him, his hair untied and spreading out on the pillow. He groaned while looking at the clock.

Of all the times-

He could feel his irritation bubbling underneath his skin as he put on a shirt and pants before trudging downstairs, curses ready at the back of his throat. If it’s Chanyeol, he’ll smash his face, his model career be damned. If it’s Baekhyun, he’ll just throw him back to Chanyeol. He wasn’t ready for es. Not so early in the morning. He barely registered the padded footsteps that followed him.

He swung the door open albeit harshly, ready to assault anyone outside verbally, but his words die in his throat when he caught side of the person outside. His jaw practically dropped open.

“Mom?”

True enough, his mother smiled wide and cooed, pulling the still stricken Kris into a hug.

“Wufan,” She singsonged against his shoulder, her laughter vibrating against his skin. “I’ve missed you. You barely visit after Yixing,” she pouted childishly, making Kris resist the urge to laugh.

“I’ve been busy,” He said calmly, his previous irritation gone. “How did you get here?”

“They gave me a ride,” She said while pointing beyond the iron gates. Her voice was sweet. The most effective cure.

Kris looked to where she was pointing, and found that Yixing’s parents were hanging about the gates. From the looks of it, they were a bit hesitant to enter, probably still heavy with guilt. With a smile, Kris waved politely to them.

“I was so worried,” The voice came softly, almost whispered. Kris looked down to see that her eyebrows were furrowed, and he ran his hand on her shoulders soothingly. “What happened?”

Letting out a sigh, he nudged her inside. “Let’s talk inside,”

After beckoning for the other two to enter, he closed the door behind them and went to the kitchen to prepare tea. But Yixing was already there, and he had set out only two cups.

“Yixing, there’s another two person outside,”

With a nod, he put them on the tray and asked Kris to take it to them. He briefly wondered why Yixing didn’t bring it out himself, but he kept it to himself when he noticed that he was wearing only a robe.

His mother, unlike the other two, looked comfortable as she inspected the interior of the house while he poured their teas.

“What nice taste,” She hummed to herself, looking at the vase of white lilies on a table near the stairs. “I suppose you weren’t the one who did that,” She added with a chuckle.

"Seriously, mom? I live with an artist,” He said matter-of-factly, a little offended by his mother’s reference to his lack of talent in arts.

“Good for you,” She said before taking a sip of her tea. “Now, Mr and Mrs Zhang here actually wanted to see how their son is doing,”

“Yixing?” Kris questioned, half disbelieving. “He’s in the kitchen if you want to see him,”

With a last flash of hesitation on her features, Yixing’s mother steeled her gaze in determination before standing up with a nod, dragging her husband with her.

“Now that they’re not here anymore, we can safely talk about last night,” Kris watched her, appalled at her show in manipulation.

“Now I know where I got the fox in me,” He grumbled under his breath, but it didn’t escape his hearing.

“Oh, no. You’re no fox. You’re more temper than cunning, just like your father,” She grinned endearingly, and Kris was momentarily reminded of that picture hanging at home. He missed him too, he wanted to say but his mother quickly added sternly. “Now what happened?”

“It’s a long story,” He sighed, reaching for his tea.

“I have hours to spend.” She said triumphantly, knowing full well what his intentions were.

“Alright,” Kris muttered. “Just don’t kill me when I’m done,”

Needless to say, Kris sped through the story, leaving out little details here and there so that he might not seem too bad. The whole process of telling was difficult, much more so when he got to the part of the... one-sided . His mother seemed genuinely worried for Yixing though after that, saying things like it could break him, both physically and mentally. His most favourite part though, was telling his mother of how she was the first person that came across his mind when he’s down.

“I’m touched,” His mother said, feigning tears and Kris resisted the urge to roll his eyes. “But now I want to see Yixing,”

The got up simultaneously, Kris leading his mother to the kitchen in a slow pace, matching his mother’s. But when they got closer though, Kris stopped.

“...shouldn’t have forced you to go,” Mrs Zhang said with a slight sob.

“It’s okay, ma,” Yixing sounded happy and sincere, and Kris felt a smile bloom on his face from that. “I’m okay now,”

“No. I shouldn’t have forced you into this marriage. I just needed someone to take care of you,” It was obvious how the guilt had completely taken over her, as her sobs turned worse and Yixing soothed her. “I should’ve let you pick on your own.”

“It’s too late, though.” He chuckled. “I already love him,”

Kris backed away from the wall, his smile growing impossibly wide as he made his way back to the couch. His mother watched on with amusement before taking the seat beside Kris, who practically melted on her. His heart it seemed, was about to burst from all this happiness he was feeling at the moment, and his mother couldn’t help but laugh.

“You’re smitten,” She pinched his cheeks affectionately.

“But mom, he said he loves me,” He rolled on the couch with the silly smile plastered to his face, giddy with what he’d heard.

“Do you love him?” She asked, ruffling his hair a bit, and he looked back at her with twinkling eyes.

“Of course,”­

--

 

EPILOGUE

 

--

Kris opened the front door to the yell of children, screaming his name.

“Papa!” Sehun, his two-year-old ran to him with his arms wide open, clearly happy to see him home. The other one, five years older Luhan walked calmly to him with a smile.

“Hello, baby,” Kris said as he lifted Sehun, ruffling Luhan on the hair. “Hey, Luhan. Where’s your mom?”

Luhan chuckled. “Mom is a little flustered at the moment. Sehun kept tugging his hair all day long, so he’s in a bad mood right now.”

“Have you eaten?” He asked both, and they nodded. Sehun’s two newly grown front teeth was shown when he cackled, amused by Kris’s tie. Before long, he’s had it in his small, grubby hands, tugging it relentlessly.

“Uncle Baek! Uncle Yeollie!” Luhan squealed in glee when he saw them trailing behind Kris, holding hands. The fight with Baekhyun had ended a long time ago, on the day of his wedding. The shorter brunette came to him looking a bit shy, before he offered his hand and together with it, peace.

It’s a good thing, though. Luhan likes him, so he wasn’t really looking forward to another fight with Baekhyun. He smiled as he watched Luhan run to Baekhyun before making his way to the living room.

Sure enough, Yixing was watching tv silently, his lips slightly pouted.

“Hey,” He called out, and Yixing looked genuinely relieved when he saw him. His hair was untied, falling loosely on his shoulder and back, framing his face. Kris was instantly reminded of the way he looked last night.

“Kris,” He exhaled, getting up to greet him. “You have no idea how hard it is to take care of these little devils,”

“They just don’t get along with you because you won’t let them borrow some paint,” He chuckled. The house was definitely merrier with the presence of these kids, but they tend to lean more towards Kris than Yixing, even when Yixing cooked good food. Then Sehun abandoned his tie for Yixing’s hair, and he groaned in despair. “And because you have pretty hair,”

“I’m so going to cut it one day,” Yixing huffed. “How are you so good with them, anyway?”

“Well I think they like blonde hair,” He kissed Yixing on the cheek. “And a higher view,”

Yixing’s eyes widened when the implications of the words sunk in, and he drew in a breath, clearly offended. Hitting Kris lightly on the arm, he huffed.

“I’m not short!”

--

End.

END.

--

A/N: You’re not short, Yixing, but this chapter is ;A; aaaand some of you is definitely going to kill me for this after all the time I took to update, aaand for leaving the wedding scene out. Kkekekekkeke

So I’ve been hooked on the Cherik and Thorki tags. And 9gag. So i’ve procrastinated a bit ;A; sorry for that :D hope this ending is to your liking though! FEEL FREE TO WRITE A WEDDING SCENE FOR THIS BBs

Aaaand  since this is the ending, I would be really glad if you lurkers finally say something to me lol. Really, I’m lonely ;A; so yeah. Talk to me? Lol i sound so desperate. And I’d like to thank all the faithful readers, who keep up with me eventhough it takes days :D seriously though, you guys are my motivation, so thank you!

Enjoy bb ♥ and comment kekekekkeke

Btw

TO THE LURKERS, TALK TO ME.

TUMBLR          TWITTER

 

Okay that’ s big enough~