Chapter 7

The Painter's Shell

 

Kray; The Painter’s Shell 7/?

Kris sat home alone, blankly watching the long white curtains flutter in the wind. The word lonely can’t even begin to describe what he was feeling then, as Chanyeol and Baekhyun mused over some photos they found on Tumblr, squealing and cuddling as if he wasn’t there. Knowing the both of them, it could be a pretty, scenic picture with cheesy love quotes on it. Damn them, always making him jealous. Then a thought crossed his mind. If Yixing was here, would he let Kris do that to him? Display their affections? And he promptly shook his head.

Surely not. Yixing was a reserved person. The thought of Yixing and public display of affection in the same sentence doesn’t make even the tiniest bit of sense.

Earlier, Kris had gotten a call from Kai, who he knew had that annoying grin on his face as he talked, announcing the fashion show as if it was the jolliest thing ever. And he just had to emphasise on the parts that he was certain could rile him up.

Next week. So now I need Yixing,”

Kris had begrudgingly let Yixing go, partly afraid that Yixing would get hit on by random strangers, but most of it is just Kai, really. That freaking designer really needed to be carved on someday.

He whipped his head to the stairs when he heard footsteps. Both Chanyeol and Baekhyun followed his gaze, going silent as they watched the two. Their eyes settled on the sight of Yixing, freshly dressed and Kris could smell that heavenly scent, even from the distance.

“You’re leaving already?” He almost pouted, when Yixing continued his descent. The brunette turned to him with a smile, heading straight for the door.

“Yeah, he’s already here,” Yixing said as he opened the door, peering outside. Then he turned back to Kris. “I’ll be back soon,”

Kris stood up immediately. “Wait,” He closed the distance between them with only a few steps, before swooping down for a kiss, right in front of the open door. He made extra care to make sure this action could be seen, even from outside the gate.

Like all the other kisses that Yixing gave him, this one left him breathless. Yixing looked at him with a questioning gaze when he glanced outside to the sleek black car parked outside, looking at him with glossy eyes. Kris merely smiled as he gave him a pat on his head, messing up his neatly tied hair. When he looked out again, Kai was already leaning against his car with his arms crossed over his chest, but what annoyed him most was the wide, childlike grin on his face. ing kiss had no effect on him.

The bastard.

With a last touch on his elbow, Yixing made his way towards Kai, and the lingering feeling of Yixing’s fingers on his skin eased his mind for a while.

--

After the first time, Kris thought he could get used to the fact that Yixing will be okay, and that he would be working separately with Kai, but while he kept trying to distract himself from the thoughts, his mind had other ideas. Kris barely recalled that Yixing had worn something decent, something thick and loose, which he was sure would not attract Kai. Well it’s not like he had any indecent items in his closet anyway.

Being home alone without Yixing is becoming a tad bit boring, so he opted for a day out with Chanyeol and Baekhyun, hoping to take his mind off things for a while, and make it fun.

But it turned out that it was the second biggest mistake that day, for the outing at the mall was anything but fun.

Walking together with the lovesick lovebirds made him feel like the world’s biggest third wheel. In time, he started falling back from their pace, letting them walk together in front as he looked through the displays from the back. To his dismay, they did not even notice him gone.

After apparently having enough, he dragged them both to a restaurant, not caring that he had no appetite himself. Baekhyun ordered for both him and Chanyeol, which happens to be only on one plate, something he expected from them.

“Aren’t you hungry?” Chanyeol asked, as Baekhyun held out some food to his lips. He accepted it gratefully, and gave him a lovestruck smile right after. It was all Kris could do to stop himself from puking rainbows there.

“No,” He lied. He was, actually. It was just that he had no appetite at all.

“Suit yourself,” Chanyeol shrugged. “But don’t go complaining to me when we get back. If you get hungry, you would have to deal with your own soup, because Baekhyun is mine for today,”

“Baekhyun is yours every other day.” He rolled his eyes. “And the soup I make is delicious.”

“I’d like to see you live on that for the rest of your life,” The model said with a twinkle in his eyes, knowing full well what Kris’s soup tasted like.

Instead of answering, Kris just stuck his tongue out to him and laughed it off. When Baekhyun fed Chanyeol again, Kris suddenly wished for Yixing to be there. After a while of watching them wordlessly, he concluded that Chanyeol and Baekhyun were shameless. Indecent, even when Chanyeol started stealing kisses from Baekhyun. But he seemed to enjoy it a lot, so Kris decided to just leave it.

During the entire time in the restaurant, Kris kept wishing for them to not ignore him after they leave, but luck was not on his side. In fact, luck was never on his side when it comes to Chanyeol and Baekhyun. If anything, they looked like cupid had shot them through way more organs than their hearts. Damn cupid for having too much time.

“Oh look, Chanyeol,”

From the corner of his eyes, Kris could see Baekhyun drag him off to a jewellery store, Chanyeol’s expression betraying his unease. He stepped up to them, wondering what caught Baekhyun’s eyes as his eyes scanned the display.

“If you’re ever going to man up and propose to me, I’d like that ring,” He smiled innocently, looking straight at Chanyeol while pointing to a white gold ring.

But Kris’s eyes had caught something else. Amidst the scatter of glittering stones, was a diamond ring. And it shone so brilliantly under the white lights that he could not help but think of Yixing. Next to it, was a silver dragon necklace, and he found himself smiling.

I think it’s time.

His eyes darted to the price tag beneath the ring, and he found that the many zeros on it didn’t actually make his smile fade, not when he thought of Yixing’s face lighting up when he finally slipped it into his finger. His smile would probably shine as brightly as the diamonds did, and he found himself smiling wider.

No, he thought to himself. I don’t care.

With that, he took out his wallet from his back pocket and walked to the front counter.

“I’d like both of those, please,” He said, one hand pointing to the dragon and the ring while another handed the stricken girl his card.

To say Baekhyun and Chanyeol were surprised was an understatement. Their jaws hung slack, eyes widened as they watched the girl hand Kris his items, both in different velvet boxes. To be honest, he was surprised himself. Not many people see him as romantic, but looking at the boxes, he finally concluded that exceptions can be made, but only for the most special person.

--

Throughout the whole week, Kris couldn’t find the opportunity to present the necklace to Yixing properly. He was always busy, planning the decorations eventhough to Kris, it didn’t really need that much work. He was grateful though for the fact that Yixing still attends to him at night, worshipping the love Kris gave him. And in between these moments when sweet nothings and kisses are exchanged, thoughts of the dragon pendant will pop up in his head, only to be washed away completely as he surrendered himself to the pleasures only Yixing’s body can give him.

And if the thoughts ever crossed his mind after that, Yixing would’ve already woven dreams in his head, consumed by the tiredness that came with a day’s worth of work.

--

Kris scowled at the mirror, hating how his hair looked, and the pink tie he had tried to put on was giving him hell too. It was all like a warning, that his day could turn out to be ruined. It felt weird to finally put on his suit for a formal show, when all he had them for was work. He cursed his luck under his breath as he tugged on the pink little useless excuse of a clothing. What could be so damn hard in tying it?

Just then, Yixing walked in dressed in his own suit. And God, did he look absolutely stunning.

Kris’s jaw dropped open upon meeting the sight. The silky black hair was swept to one side, loosely tied in a black band and revealing a side of his elegant neck. Loose strands framed his face, softening his features and making him look more approachable. The suit pants hugged his legs, making them look longer and boy, Kris couldn’t look away.

God must’ve created him for suits.

Or suits for him. Or- whatever.

“See something you like?” Yixing asked with a naughty grin.

Yixing walked forward, his hands reaching out for the pink tie still hanging untied around his neck. Seeing him up close, Kris couldn’t help but to count the little flecks in his eyes. His hands were having a hard time staying to his sides, instead tempted to pull the brunette in for a kiss.

Turned out he didn’t have to.

For Yixing pulled him down by his tie, before pressing a soft, lingering kiss on his lips. At that exact moment, the necklace barged into his mind. The kiss was chaste, but its sweetness was what he had expected from Yixing. When they pulled away, he smiled.

“Turn around and close your eyes,”

Yixing obliged wordlessly, even when he raised his eyebrows questioningly. The soft clink of the metal reached Yixing’s ears before he could even stop it. By the time the cold metal was clasped securely around his neck, a warm smile had already graced his features.

“You can open your eyes now,”

As soon as he did, he let his fingers trace the cool metal, revelling in the smoothness beneath his fingertips.

“It’s beautiful,” Yixing breathed out as he turned around. “But why a dragon?”

“No apparent reason,” Kris shrugged, nonchalant.

Although the answer was anything but satisfying, Yixing smiled, but his eyes remained wise and knowing. Kris pretended to not see it. In truth, the dragon was a creature that he could relate with. Strong, independent and rare, although the temper that comes together is a bit of a downside. Like the dragon, he has all those points, and therefore the dragon is like a symbol for himself.

In short, he’s marking his territory.

--

His vision blurred for the umpteenth time that day before his head bobbed forward, waking him up instantly. Beside him, Yixing sent a glare.

“You’re being rude,” He whispered before looking back at the runway.

To Kris, fashion shows are certainly something that he wouldn't attend ever again. The dim lights and the catchy music did nothing to fend off the sleepiness, helping instead to encourage the fluttering of his lids close. After yet another glare, Kris sat up straight in his seat, struggling to pay attention to the models strutting in front of him. Sure, they were beautiful, the outfits and dresses were beautiful, but Kris was never interested in fashion, which was why he had never chosen to model in the first place.

So instead of keeping his attention to the models, he let his eyes travel elsewhere. The hall was nicely decorated, bouquets of white lilies in the corners of the room, giving an elegant touch to the otherwise plain white walls of the room. The runway was decorated with only simple white draperies down the side. All in all, the hall looked nice and Kris though Yixing had done a good job. A jab of an elbow to his ribs broke his reverie.

“I did this one,” Yixing whispered without looking over, pointing to the model on the runway.

“Wow,” Kris breathed out as his eyes settled on the model.

At first glance, he didn’t like the dress, but once he caught sight of the silver embroideries near the edges of the long, flowing white dress, he fell in love. One side of the dress showed the model’s curves while the other side of the dress consisted of silky, flowing fabric. What surprised him though was the red brooch on it. And only then did he notice the little red stones along the silver embroideries.

“Red?” He asked, albeit cautiously.

“It’s okay,” Yixing said, turning to him with a sincere smile. “Because you’ll always be there,”

With that said, Kris subtly s his hand to intertwine with Yixing’s, while he fought the silly grin threatening to form.

--

A lot of people stayed for the afterparty. Looking around, he could see Chanyeol and Baekhyun, chatting up Key and Jonghyun. Near them, he could see Nicole and Hyuna, who seemed to converse with a devilish light in each others’ eyes, taking in the other’s appearance with a look of superiority. Then he saw Kai, who was making his way towards him with a smile.

“Hi,” Kai greeted him, and his face was immediately set into a scowl. “I never thought I’d see you here,”

“I’m only here because of Yixing,” He answered curtly, and Kai frowned.

“Oh come on, will you stop with this already? I don’t even know what made you dislike me this much,” He whined with a small pout on his lips.

Hate,” Kris corrected with a smile. “Not dislike.”

“I don’t understand you.” Kai glared.

“Neither do I,” Kris said, answering his glare with a much more polite smile.

“Fine,” The shorter rolled his eyes, before stalking off. “Be that way,”

Instead of being annoyed, Kris smiled at his retreating back, drinking in the satisfaction of finally succeeding in his attempt to annoy him.

“Hey Kris,” Came Chanyeol’s deep voice. Baekhyun was nowhere around, which seemed a bit weird to Kris. “Where’s Yixing?”

“I don’t know. He was gone right after the show.” As he answered, his eyes scanned the crowd for Yixing, but he couldn’t find him.

“Where’s Baekhyun? Isn’t he attached to you by both heart and body?” Sarcasm laced his voice with venom, and Chanyeol feigned hurt, but it wasn’t long before the mischievous smile was back on his face.

“Not always,” He winked, and Kris had to cringe at the lame dirty joke. Chanyeol’s face twitched as he broke out into a laugh, though he looked less retarded now in his suit, and when he finally calmed down, a few people already had disapproving eyes on him. “Baek’s gone to the toilet. I have to wash my hands, Chanyeol! I’ve touched something dirty!” He mimicked.

“I can just imagine that,” Kris said with a laugh.

Chanyeol laughed along, but then his face suddenly looked surprised. Worried, as he looked over Kris’s shoulders. Kris promptly turned around.

Baekhyun was making his way towards them, looking pale and stricken as he held a glass with trembling hands.

“Baekie are you okay?” Chanyeol reached out, grabbing the shorter by his shoulders. The brunette nodded wordlessly. It was obvious that he was a bad liar, considering how he nearly bumped into someone behind him, his mind distracted.

“Are you sure?”

At that, Baekhyun gave him a glare and Chanyeol promptly nodded. The conversation that he started with Kris after that was a bit awkward, the tension from knowing of Baekhyun’s condition still hanging heavy in the air. When Kris turned towards Baekhyun, he found that he was looking straight at him, almost creeping him out.

But Baekhyun was the one who was startled, almost jumping back. His champagne spilt onto Kris’s suit, turning the tie a darker colour and tinged his shirt red.

“Oh god I’m sorry,” Baekhyun looked panicked. Sympathy wound itself to Kris’s mind, and he nodded comfortingly.

“It’s okay, it’s okay,” He patted Baekhyun’s head. “I’ll just go wash this up for a while,”

“In the toilet?” Baekhyun’s eyes widened.

“Yeah, where else?” Kris answered jokingly, but he couldn’t get past the fact that Baekhyun had looked frightened, and it piqued his curiosity. What’s wrong with the toilet?

“You know what Kris, I think I’ll take him home for the night.” Chanyeol said apologetically, noticing the way Kris’s brows had furrowed at Baekhyun’s reaction. He nodded brusquely at both Chanyeol and Baekhyun, who looked like he would break down right then.

Weirded out, he quickly made his way to the toilet. The champagne won’t come off unless he hurried.

His instincts screamed for him to not open the door when he found it, the dark brown door intimidating, but he pushed it to the side. Some parts of his brain associated it to Baekhyun’s reaction, but he told himself that nothing could be that bad. He had always been stronger than Baekhyun anyway, so maybe it won’t affect him in any way.

But when he finally opened the door, shock was the first thing that coursed his system. His eyes widened and his blood ran cold. His stomach knotted tight when he tried to process what he was seeing. For there was no way this could be real.

The sound of a breaking heart was deafening in his ears as he finally confirmed that it was indeed Yixing’s suit, Yixing’s hair, Yixing’s eyes, Yixing’s hands and it was Kai’s hands trapping him against the marble wall, both looking at him with a mixture of surprise and fear.

--

A/N: O.O Err. What- em next chap will be angsty as hell and idk how to write angst but i have a pretty good picture in my head and idek what i’m saying. Sorry for this short chap zzz im so lame. And feel free to point out any mistakes that I’ve probably made because I have tired eyes and i could find nothing when i reread it.

And so, to my readers, I love friends. And I’m a nice person T^T no lies there. And I’m getting pretty lonely by day orz so um, let’s be friends? I want friends ;A; omg im such a lonely person

Btw enjoy and comment ^^ and lets be friends. Pretty please?

and vote, bb <3 i loveyou