06

Red Yarn

 

 

Red Yarn: Chapter 06

 

            “Do you think this one is good, Kai? Oh, wait, wait, wait, what about this one? Hmm, or maybe this one is better…”

            Jongin yawns as he takes the three different eyeliners from Chanyeol’s hand. He stares blankly at it for a few seconds before shoving them back into Chanyeol’s chest. “Uh, why are you asking me this? I don’t wear eyeliner, Chanyeol.”

            “Geez, Kai. You are of no help to me at all.” Chanyeol takes the three eyeliners back from Jongin’s hand, “Why did I even ask you to come along?”

            “Hey, this is your fault. You should have asked Key-hyung to come along with you instead.”

            Chanyeol slumps his shoulders and groans, “Ugh, you’re right. Man, why is this so difficult?”

            Jongin pats Chanyeol’s arm in an attempt to comfort his friend, “Why don’t you just buy all three them then?”

            “Did you just say buy all three?” Jongin nods his head. “Buy. All. Three!?” Jongin continues to nod his head, but more slowly this time. Chanyeol then raises the hand that has all three eyeliners up to Jongin’s face and wildly shakes them in front of him, “Do you know how expensive these things are, Kai? Do you? Do you? They’re too damn expensive that’s what! How can I buy all three? My allowance got taken away from me and I’m broke! I also have to buy the one eyeliner that Baekhyun likes. He’ll probably hate me if I buy him one that he doesn’t like. I can’t live with that. No, I just can’t!”

            “But…you don’t even know which one is his favorite…”  Jongin tries to say, but is ignored.

            The giant begins to pull at his hair aggressively with his free hand, “Argh, why did I have to buy that stupid overpriced hamburger today for lunch? I would have had enough money to get Baekkie at least two gifts, but that hamburger was just too good to resist. And there’s so many eyeliner thingies here to choose from. How can girls do this? Why does Baekkie have to look so freakin hot when he wears this? What the hell am I even saying? I can’t do this! It’s just...asdfghjklasdfghjklasdfghjklasdfghjkl…”

            Jongin smacks his hand against Chanyeol’s mouth to shut him up, “God, Chanyeol, would you stop freaking out! You’re kind of scaring the old lady that’s over there. And it’s just a gift. I’m sure whatever it is that you get him he’ll be happy with it. There’s no need for you to overreact.”

            “Bwut, Kwai, I wamph to gwet him swomethwing nwice.”

            Jongin wipes his hand on Chanyeol’s jacket to get rid of the saliva that had gotten onto his palm before giving him a reply, “Seriously, that was gross dude, and like I said, I’m sure he’ll be happy with whatever you get him.”

            Chanyeol pouts and looks at the eyeliners once again, “I guess…” He then looks back at Jongin with the pout still on his face, “So, who are you Secret Santa for, Kai? You still haven’t told me yet.”

            “Oh, yea, I haven’t told you have I…?” Jongin stuffs his hands into his pant pockets and looks off to the side. 

            Chanyeol raises a brow, “Well, who is it?”

            “It’s uh…Kyungsoo.”

            After a much debated struggle with himself Chanyeol decides to take the new brand of eyeliner and puts the other two back. He then faces Jongin with shocked eyes, “Really? Kyungsoo? That’s great then, isn’t it?”

            Jongin gives out a small smile before sighing, “Yea, it is, but I have no idea what to get him.”

            “You don’t know what to get him?” Chanyeol takes a second to think to himself before snapping his fingers together, “Ah ha! You know what? Since you told me that Baekkie will like whatever I get him, I’m just going to copy you and say the same thing.” Chanyeol clasps Jongin’s shoulder, breathes in deeply, and gives him a big smile, “Don’t worry, Kai. Whatever it is that you get Kyungsoo, I’m sure he’ll be happy with it.”

            Jongin shoves Chanyeol’s hand away from his shoulder and laughs, “Some friend you are.”

            “What?” Chanyeol laughs.

            “C’mon you giant, let’s go and pay for your eyeliner.”

            Chanyeol bumps Jongin’s head with a fist as they both walk away from the makeup aisle, “Hey, its Baekkies’s eyeliner not my eyeliner.”

            “Whatever, Chanchan.”

            “Ugh, you know I don’t like that nickname, Kai.”

            “I know, Chanchan.”

            “Kim Jongin.”

            “Yes, Chanchan?”

            “Forget it…”

 

 

            Jongin enters the practice room and is immediately tackled by Baekhyun from behind, “Hello, my most favorite, awesome, handsome, and amazingly tanned dongsaeng!”

            “Ugh, Krisus, hyung, for a small guy you weigh a ton.” Jongin grumbled.

            Baekhyun’s mouth shoots wide open in disbelief and gets off of Jongin’s back. He then folds his arms across his chest, “Well then, you’re not my most favorite, awesome, handsome, and amazingly tanned dongsaeng anymore.”

            Jongin laughs, “Okay, then I won’t tell you what Chanyeol got you for your Secret Santa gift.”

            Baekhyun’s arms fall from his chest and his eyes start beaming, “What? No, no tell me. You’re my most favorite dongsaeng again, Kai. Tell me, please. Please.”

            Jongin smiles, putting the tips of his thumb and index finger together before motioning them across his lips as if to zip them shut. Baekhyun pouts as Jongin walks away from him. He then puts his hands on his hips, “Fine, be that way. I won’t tell you what my little secret is with your precious Kyungsoo then.”

            Jongin stops for a moment and turns around to face a smirking Baekhyun, “What little secret?”

            “What was that? Secret, you said? ” Baekhyun fakes innocence and exaggerates a laugh, “Oh, there’s no secret, of course not.”

             “Baekhyun.” Jongin pleads.

            Baekhyun just puts a finger to his lips and smiles.

            It was Jongin’s turn to pout when Baekhyun turns around and skips away. He was about to go after him, but Joonmyun was already up on the stage announcing to everyone that practice was about to start. Jongin lets the thought of “secret” and “Kyungsoo” float away. He tells himself that he will hunt down and interrogate Baekhyun later.

 

 

            Since this was the last practice before the winter festival, which was in fact, tomorrow, Joonmyun pushed everyone to their limits to make sure that everything was as perfect as possible. It was amazing how a short little guy like him with such an angelic face could scream like the devil when he wanted to. No one will ever get used to it, but they were glad since it brought out the best in everyone’s performance. 

            As practice began to wear down the student performers, Joonmyun decided to be a softie and allow everyone a long well deserved break to give their throats a little rest from singing so much. It would be disastrous if more than half of his cast came to the festival tomorrow with throats that spoke in frog language or absolutely no sound at all, so he was okay with giving them some leisure. Poor Lee Donghae still has the cold, but he is definitely much better than before, and his nasty nasally voice is finally gone now.

            Jongin takes a large gulp of water from his water bottle and sits down next to Baekhyun, who was casually chatting with Jessica. He didn’t realize “hunting” his hyung down would be this easy. It was now time for the “interrogating” part.

            “So, hyung, about that secret, hmm?”

            Baekhyun’s body became tense at the familiar voice and he was quickly pushing Jessica away from the both of them making Jongin raise his eyebrow in suspicion. The older then turns around and faces Kai with an awkward smile, “Uh, hey, Kai. Yea, what’s up?”

            Jongin tries studying his hyung’s face for a bit before looking over to Jessica who gave him a wink and a small wave of her hand. He frowns at the gesture. “What are you hiding from me, hyung?” He hears Jessica giggle as she walks away. Jongin shakes his head and furrows his eyes, “Seriously, what are keeping from me?”

            Baekhyun shrugs, “It’s nothing really, just that Jessica is your lifesaver.”

            “Huh? That doesn’t make any sense, hyung. How is that your secret? You said your secret involved Kyungsoo. You’re talking about Jessica right now not Kyungsoo. ”

            Baekhyun smiles slightly, “Oh, but Jessica has everything to do with Kyungsoo.”

            Jongin was getting really frustrated with Baekhyun now. He finished the rest of his water and glared at his hyung with the most intimidating eyes he could muster. “Baekhyun, enough with the games and tell me what is going on.”

            “Everything will be revealed in due time little one.”    

            “Why do you keep talking to me like you’re an old grandpa or something? That’s Joonmyun-hyung’s job.” Jongin waves his hands around and about crazily now, “Geez, just…just tell me what it is, hyung!”

            “Nope.”

            “I’ll tell you what Chanyeol got you.” He whines.

            Baekhyun stands up and pats Jongin’s head, something he seems to like doing nowadays, “A secret is a secret, right? I’m keeping my mouth shut. I enjoy watching you act like this.”

            “I don’t like you anymore.” Jongin crosses his arms and looks away from Baekhyun. The jutted bottom lip just makes him look even more childish. Mentally Baekhyun squeals at the adorable sight, but he keeps himself composed.

            “You won’t be saying that to me tomorrow though.”

            Jongin tilts his head up to look up at Baekhyun questioningly. The older just continues to pat the younger’s head with a smile. Jongin narrows his eyes and quickly turns his head away again, “Hmph.”

 

 

            Kyungsoo was back in his corner again during break. He felt his heart clenching at the sight of Jongin and Baekhyun together, who were both nearby the stage area. Obviously, Jongin was upset with Baekhyun, but Kyungsoo didn’t really care about what Baekhyun could have said to upset the other. The eyeliner boy was known for his teasing so Kyungsoo figures it’s probably just that and nothing more. He’s more hurt by the fact that Jongin has that childish expression on because of Baekhyun. No one ever gets to see Jongin’s genuine expressions like that. He wants to see a more childish side of Jongin as well.

             The owl-eyed boy didn’t want to think about it anymore so he sat down on the floor and placed his backpack on top of his lap. He opened it up and took the ball of red yarn that he had found in the practice room a few days ago out from it. He then sets his backpack aside and continues knitting from where he had left off from this morning. His work was almost complete.

            There was a giddy feeling exploding its way through Kyungsoo’s entire being and he knew it was cheesy, but he felt happy with what he was going to give Jongin. There’s a side of him that thinks the younger will laugh at him for giving him such a gift, but nonetheless it’s special, so he hopes Jongin will like it either way.

            He then wonders to himself who Jongin is Secret Santa for. That person is incredibly lucky he thinks.   

            There’s only five more minutes left of break before practice is to resume now, so Kyungsoo gathers his things and puts them away into his backpack. He couldn’t wait to hear Jongin sing again. Honestly it was scaring him how much he was quickly falling for this boy, but after all the things that have happened to him with Jongin these past few days, his feelings for him just keep piling up to the point of no return. He is still unsure of what the other truly feels about him, but it’s alright. Kyungsoo can keep these uncertain feelings to himself.

            Joonmyun then calls everyone to the stage and practice begins once again. There’s a small twitch of Kyungsoo’s lips when Jongin gets up on stage. His large eyes follow Jongin move effortlessly from one side of the stage to the other as he holds up a fake wooden sword in his hands. The scene is the very first scene of the play when the Prince and his knights are just coming back to the Kingdom from war.

            After a couple more minutes Joonmyun decides to go over Act III Scene ii. Kyungsoo feels like throwing up all of the sudden. Why oh why did Joonmyun have to make them practice this scene? It was the dreaded kiss scene. His eyes were down casted as he listened to Jongin and Jessica sing in sync with one another. He imagines Jessica’s voice to be his own instead. He thinks Jongin and his voice match better together. Kyungsoo quickly shakes away the thought before he starts reminiscing about the day Jongin danced with him in this very room, not to mention their almost first kiss.

            Hesitantly Kyungsoo brings his head back up. Unlike the time when he watched Jongin and Tiffany together with mere awe, he cringed at the sight of Jongin and Jessica together. His heart starts to pound loudly in his chest when Jongin’s hand begin to wrap themselves more gently around Jessica’s waist, both of their eyes locked onto one another like lovers as their voices perfectly mold as one on the last note. It was only acting, but if it wasn’t, people would have assumed that the two really were lovers.

            Jongin is now leaning Jessica backward and follows after her slowly. Jessica closes her eyes and that’s Jongin’s cue to lean in forward and give her the kiss, but Jongin stops himself and hovers his lips over hers. That’s when his eyes shoot up and lock onto Kyungsoo’s. He may have accidentally locked eyes with Kyungsoo that first time when he almost kissed Tiffany, but they both know that this wasn’t an accident this time and was done on purpose. A light gasp escapes Kyungsoo’s lips and he wants to run away again like he did the first time, but he doesn’t have the will to move, so he just stares back. It’s almost as if Jongin was asking if it was okay for him to kiss Jessica with the way he kept looking at Kyungsoo. It just makes the owl-eyed boy feel self-conscious and confused.

            Without taking his eyes off of the other boy, Jongin finally leans in all the way and gives a small peck near the corner of Jessica’s lips, but never touching them fully. Kyungsoo’s cheeks flush with uncertainty and his eyes fall to the floor. That was certainly awkward, but he also feels slightly relieved Jongin didn’t kiss her fully on the lips. Joonmyun raises his microphone and starts scolding Jongin for not kissing Jessica properly like in the script, but he lets it slide knowing Jongin’s crush was standing only a few feet away watching them on stage. He just tells Jongin to not slip up on the day of their actual performance and starts telling the students to move onto another scene before he dismisses them for the day. 

            When practice finally ends, Kyungsoo wastes no time for dawdling and quickly gathers his things to leave. He still isn’t ready to face Jongin because his feelings are still out of whack, and he also doesn’t feel like being pestered by Baekhyun because that guy is just too nosy. Kyungsoo has this weird feeling Baekhyun is up to something since he keeps getting these peeking glances from the eyeliner boy, but he tries to shrug it off as nothing important. He just wants to escape and go home. Tomorrow is going to be a hectic day and he wants to prepare his heart for Jongin’s eventual kiss with Jessica. He sighs to himself as he grips onto his backpack’s straps more tightly. Why was he getting bothered by this whole kiss scene now of all times anyway?

            He really must be losing his mind.

---

A/N:

/bashes head on keyboard…

What is this epic failness? This chapter is all word vomit… I feel like I’m losing the will and inspiration to continue writing this. No worries though, I do plan to complete this fic.

This chapter really is boring as heck though, but I guess you could say it builds up a little anticipation of what will actually happen during the winter festival? I hope it does anyway -_______-

I wonder if any one of you can guess what Baekhyun’s planning for Kaisoo on the day of the winter festival?

Also this chapter was originally longer than this. It was about fourteen pages so I split it. Expect another update tomorrow or the day after.

Anyways, thank you as always for reading and welcome to my new subscribers. I love you all dearly.

<3 dububrit-on