03

Red Yarn

 

 

Red Yarn: Chapter 03

           

            “You’re going to play the princess?” Jongin repeats.

            Kyungsoo blinks, “U-uh…”

            “You are aren’t you?”

            Is it just Kyungsoo or does it sound like Jongin seems a bit happy? Kyungsoo’s eyes shift away from the taller boy, “No.”  His eyes are now taking a deep interest in his dirty shoes.

            “No? Oh, I thought…” Jongin forces a cough as he looks away.

            Feet are shifted nervously between the two as an awkward silence befalls on the both of them. Kyungsoo bites his lip. He doesn’t want to look into the other’s eyes. It’ll remind him too much of what had happened yesterday in the practice room so he concentrates on keeping his eyes fixated on his dirty shoes. Jongin, on the other hand, looks directly at Kyungsoo.

            The way the shorter boy was looking down allowed Jongin’s eyes to roam freely across his beautiful and porcelain like face. Jongin immediately looks at Kyungsoo’s enormous, yet endearing owl like eyes first. He especially likes the way Kyungsoo’s eyelashes would curl upward and how they would flutter lightly each time he would blink. Jongin’s eyes then slowly trailed up to the owl-eyed boy’s thick eyebrows, to the black hair that curled slightly on his forehead, to his pale snow white cheeks, to his unique jaw line, to the curves of his nose, and lastly to his heart shaped lips. Kyungsoo is just too perfect. Jongin unknowingly leans in, his eyes too captivated by the way Kyungsoo was still lightly biting his bottom lip.

            This must be the closest Jongin has ever been to the older since they were kids. Jongin had always thought sitting behind Kyungsoo during class would suffice, but he knows that’s just him fooling with himself. He wants to be as close as possible to Kyungsoo and he doesn’t care if that labels him as a selfish person because what he really wants, besides being able to be close to him, meaning being able to embrace him, is for Kyungsoo to be his and only his.

            Kyungsoo begins to fumble with his fingers as he continues to look downward. He wills himself to not look up at the taller boy, making him completely oblivious to the other’s intense stare, “Well, um…I-I have to get going…”

            Jongin steps forward, “Kyung…”

            “DO KYUNGSOO!”

            Both of their immediate reactions were to look up. The voice was extremely familiar and once Kyungsoo sees the one and only menacing clipboard clutched by the student director’s side, and a face that could almost rival to Kris’s, the basketball team captain’s, face, he instinctively grabs Jongin’s arm and hides behind him. Jongin’s breathing nearly stops from the unexpected touch. Yep, as of now this is the closest Jongin has ever been to Kyungsoo.

            “DO KYUNGSOO, YOU BETTER GET YOUR OUT HERE RIGHT NOW!”

            Kyungsoo closes his eyes and clutches the back of Jongin's uniform, kind of like a scared, young child hugging the life out of a teddy bear in the dark, hoping that the monsters from under the bed will go away. He then suddenly presses his forehead directly in the middle of Jongin’s shoulder blades. Scratch the previous statement above. This is definitely the closest Jongin has ever been to Kyungsoo. Jongin’s heart rate has now officially skyrocketed.

            “I know you’re there Kyungsoo.” Joonmyun says while tapping his foot impatiently.

            “No, I’m not…” Kyungsoo mumbles quietly into Jongin’s jacket making vibrations of his lovely voice travel down the younger’s spine.

            “Seriously, Kyungsoo-ah, come out from behind Kai.”

            Kyungsoo pokes his head out slightly from behind Jongin. The taller shivers unconditionally due to the shorter’s soft breathing he felt against the back of his neck. Kyungsoo gives a pout to his hyung, “What if I don’t want to.”

            Joonmyun is not pleased with this, “Kyungsoo-ah, why won’t you do it?”

            Jongin takes a peek over his shoulder. The smaller boy was still pouting making Jongin gulp unintentionally. Why does Kyungsoo have to be so cute?

            “Because, hyung…I just don’t. Make Jessica do it.”

            Jongin’s eyes widen. Have Jessica play as the princess? Oh, no, no, no, he doesn’t want that to happen! He whips himself around and grabs onto Kyungsoo’s shoulders. 

            “NO!” Jongin shouts.

            Kyungsoo stares at him with very wide and shocked eyes. Joonmyun is also taken aback by Jongin’s abrupt behavior, but as the gears in his brain begin to turn, a sly smile appears on his angelic face.  

            Realizing what he did, Jongin breaks out a forced laugh and begins blubbering nonsense, “Ah ha ha, I mean…I don’t want Jessica to do it. Not that I think she can’t do it! I just don’t think her voice is suited for it and…and…and…”

            Kyungsoo pushes Jongin away, “I don’t care! I don’t want to do it! I’m a boy. B.O.Y. BOY! Boys don’t play as princesses. Playing the princess means that I have to be a girl and then I’ll have to kiss…” Kyungsoo stops himself, his cheeks rapidly heating up, “N-no! I-I meant…I just don’t want to do it!”

            Kyungsoo immediately turns on his heels and runs down the hallway to save himself from further embarrassment. Jongin is about to run after him, but a hand clasping his shoulder halts him. He turns his head and sees Joonmyun smiling at him.

            “Uh…J-Joonmyun-hyung?”

            Joonmyun continues to smile, which makes Jongin feel slightly creeped out. That’s weird because this is the student body president, Kim Joonmyun. It was only his friend, Park Chanyeol’s job to scare the living daylights out of people with his smile not the “angelic” student body president, Kim Joonmyun.

            “I know, Kai.” Joonmyun says with a teasing tone. Jongin wants to think that it’s his eyes that are playing tricks on him, but he knows full well that the smile currently etched on his hyung’s face was definitely reaching a new level of creepy. Tsk, tsk, Park Chanyeol must be losing his touch.

             “K-know what…?” Jongin stutters uncomfortably.

             “You like him don’t you?”

            Jongin automatically stiffens. No wonder why Joonmyun was smiling like a creep. He didn’t expect anyone to figure out who he devoted his love to. Chanyeol is the only person who has ever known about his unrequited childhood crush. It’s like his walls were suddenly plowed down by some unimaginable force. “Was this how Chanyeol felt when I about Baekhyun earlier?” Jongin thought.

            He decides to feign innocence, “W-what are you talking about?”

            Joonmyun chuckles at Jongin’s reaction. He finds it quite amusing how the Kim Jongin that everyone practically drools over for likes the lonely, quiet, and unnoticeable boy, Do Kyungsoo. He pats Jongin’s shoulders and smiles his trademark angelic smile, not the creepy one from just mere seconds ago.

            “It’s alright Kai, I’m not going to tell anyone.” He sees Jongin relax his shoulders from his statement, “I just want you to do something for me, ne?”

            Jongin blinks. He wasn’t expecting this, “And what is that?”

            “I want you…”Joonmyun taps his clipboard exactly in the middle of Jongin’s forehead making him go cross-eyed, “to convince him to play as the princess.”

            Jongin blinks again, “B-bwoh? How do you expect me to…”

            Joonmyun swiftly places a finger on Jongin’s lips to shush him up, “Just find a way. At least, get him to play as the maid. It’ll be unfortunate since he has such a beautiful singing voice- have you ever heard him sing? Anyway, I can’t have any empty slots for my characters so if he decides to play as the maid, so be it.” He pats the younger’s head lightly, “I have faith in you, Kai so you better make your hyung proud!” The clipboard is suddenly jabbed to his chest and a pair of evil eyes glares down at him, well, more like looking up since the student body president was short, “Or else…”

            Jongin slowly nods his head in understanding. Joonmyun then smiles angelically, all signs of demonic aura gone, for the moment that is, “Good. Well then, toodles.”

            The older boy is now walking down the hallway, waving his clipboard back and forth. Apparently it was his way of saying goodbye.

            Jongin could only stare at his hyung’s back in exasperated defeat. How the heck was he going to convince Kyungsoo? Especially after today’s incident, as well as yesterdays, there’s no way Kyungsoo was ever going to agree to play as the princess.

            “Joonmyun-hyung…you’re crazy.” Jongin quietly huffs to himself.

 

 

            The next day Jongin finds himself arriving to class a bit earlier than usual. He taps his right leg repeatedly from nervousness. There’s still no sign of Kyungsoo anywhere, and the longer it takes for the owl-eyed boy to make his appearance, the faster Jongin taps his leg.

            He begins to panic all over again once he hears the classroom doors open for like the fifth time this morning. Is it finally Kyungsoo? He in a breath. The footsteps are getting closer and closer to his seat. Kai fidgets more in his chair. He’s not ready for this. He’s not ready for this. He’s so not- Jongin flinches after hearing the chair in front of his desk screech quietly. His eyes are glued to his twiddling thumbs stationed in his lap so he’s still not sure if it is Kyungsoo or not.  

            “You’re here quite early today.”

            Jongin’s head immediately looks up and he nearly falls out of his seat from shock. Half of Baekhyun’s body was leaning over across Jongin’s desk, his hands tucked under his chin while his elbows held himself up. He was way too close for Jongin’s liking and he had that brilliant mega watt eye smile beaming out from his feminine face. Jongin could have been blind by now from it for all he knew.  

            “Hyung!” Jongin scoots back to fix the distance between them and places a hand on his chest to calm his heart, “Geez, you scared me…”

            Baekhyun continues to smile, “Sorry, I couldn’t help it.”

            “Well…uh, w-what is it…?” Jongin asks.

            “Like I said, you’re here quite early today. Something must be up, am I right?” His usual charming smile was now on the brink of creepy. Jongin begins to wonder what was up with all his hyungs being creepy lately. Has Chanyeol been spreading his Creepyeol Condition around school without him knowing it or something?

            “Uh…well…” Jongin scratches the back of his head, unsure of what to say.

            “It’s because of Kyungsoo, huh?”

            Kyungsoo?

            Jongin’s eyes widen. First, it was Joonmyun who found out, now it’s Baekhyun?

            “H-how…?”

            Baekhyun chuckles, “Did you really think I wouldn’t know? It’s pretty obvious, Kai. You’re always staring at the back of his head like a creep during class, I should know, I’m his seat neighbor after all. Even at practice you stare at him sometimes.” He smirks, “Especially at practice two days ago. That was quite entertaining actually.”

            Jongin’s cheeks start to blush, “I, uh…Do I really stare at him that much?”

            “Aigoo, my little dongsaeng, you’re so adorable when you’re love struck, aren’t chu?” Baekhyun says in a cutesy voice while pinching both of Jongin’s cheeks, making them even redder than before.

            “Aish, hyung!” Jongin quickly pushes him away, frantically rubbing his cheeks as he looked around the classroom, hoping that none of his classmates had seen any of that.

            Baekhyun laughs, “Yep, definitely adorable and yes, you do stare at him a lot.”

            Embarrassed, Jongin turns away and mumbles, “I just…I don’t know what to do, that’s all.”

            Baekhyun ruffles Jongin’s hair, “It’s alright, Kai. Everyone is like that at first.”

            He smirks, “Like you with Chanyeol, right?”

            “What?” His hand lifts off from the younger’s head.

            Jongin rolls his eyes, “You know what I mean, hyung.”

            Baekhyun waves a hand at him, “Pfft, aha, I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

            Does everyone use almost those same exact lines whenever their crushes are being brought up by someone else? It seems so. Jongin just laughs to himself in the inside since he himself did that with Joonmyun. He just gives Baekhyun the 'yea-whatever-I-already-know-you-like-him-so-just-give-it-up-and-admit-it' look.

            “Aish, you little…fine, I’ll admit it. I like Park Chanyeol. Okay, you happy now?” He crosses his arms and pouts.

            Jongin smiles at his victory. If only he could get Chanyeol to hear those words? He mentally curses himself for not being able to record Baekhyun on his cell phone when he had the chance. He doubts the eyeliner boy would say it out loud twice.

Baekhyun suddenly eyes him for a second before sitting himself down in Kyungsoo’s seat, while still facing Jongin.

            “You know what? How about we help each other, yea?” Baekhyun says.

            The younger eyes him skeptically, “What do you mean by help?”

            “Nothing bad just that you help me with Chanyeol and I help you with Kyungsoo.”

            Jongin thinks about it for awhile, “How are you going to help me then?”

            Baekhyun smiles, almost a bit too evilly, “I heard that Joonmyun-hyung asked you to get Kyungsoo to play as the princess, right?”

            “Uh, yea. How’d you…”

            Baekhyun shakes his head, “How I know doesn’t really matter right now. Anyways I have an idea. You up for it?”

            Jongin hesitantly looks up at the smiling Baekhyun. He quickly finds himself breaking out into a small smile as well. He then nods his head, “Alright, I’m up for it.”

            Baekhyun’s smile grows even wider from his response.

            “Ara, so here’s the plan…”

---

Hey guys I’m back! Sort of…

I finally have internet connection now, but it’s slow as heck! Ahhh I’m sad. T^T It was difficult getting this up for you guys.

Anyways here’s an update. Sorry if there are a lot of grammar mistakes. I wanted to update since I’ve deprived you guys of one for far too long so it wasn’t thoroughly proof-read. I’ll probably edit it later on down the road when I have time.

I’m not exactly fond of how this chapter came out. I originally planned more Kaisoo interaction, but Baekhyun had somehow found his way into the second part of this chapter. Seriously, he must be sneakier than I thought for an eyeliner diva…what am I even saying? Besides we should be more concerned about what Baekkie’s planning for our Kaisoo… >. >

Well, I hope you guys liked it. Was it worth the long wait? I don’t know. It doesn't seem that good I think. I tried really hard!!! I really did! I’ll definitely give you the Kaisoo interaction you came here for in the next chapter though. ^^ I have most of it planned out already. =D

Also I can’t forget, thank you to all of those who subscribed, I was surprised I got some subscribers even when I wasn’t updating haha. I don’t get very many subscribers usually, that’s why and even if the subscriber count is small for this fic I’m still extremely thankful and glad you guys like my story. Seriously, I love you all! <333

Hope you enjoy the rest of your wonderful day! =)

<3 dububrit-on