Power Up

The On Coming Storm

 

"Andy! Damn it, quit messing around and kill him already! We can't afford to lose!" I looked to my left and shot giving the attacker a third eye. 
 
"I'm trying I'm trying! Quit yelling! Watch behind you!" he drop kicked someone hind him as I spun just in time to slice through the throat of the rogue attacker. 
 
"Just a few more and we'll be there! Those bastards don't know what's coming for them!" we took off down the street with at least ten men following behind. Bullets whizzed passed our heads as we maneuvered through the shower of led droplets. 
 
"Almost there, I see the target up ahead! Keep running,  Hye Mi!" his body suddenly fell to the ground. I stopped and ran over to him. 
 
"Andy, come on man you gotta get up! We're almost there, we can't lose this one!" I started trying to pull him up, but he pushed me off. 
 
"Hye Mi, go! I'll do my best to hold them off..." he grabbed my hand and have it a firm squeeze before shoving me forward," now go!" 
 
  I pursed my lips and nodded before taking off down the street. My eyes lit up at the sight of such a treasure that would be within my grasp in just a few more steps. I ran up to the big dome like thing that covered the floating blue orb. I stopped just in front of it with chest heaving and sweat trickling down my face. Very carefully I extended my hand and felt the cool, yet unexplainable sensation make my flesh tingle. The orbe was absorbed through my hand and my body was suddenly glowing. It felt like someone had punched my gut with a giant force of energy. 
 
  Then, as soon as it came, it left. I was completely healed, my power had upgraded. The tattoo formed on my forearm along with the others that trailed up my arm starting from my wrist. The giant words formed in the sky saying the level had been won. 
 
"Winner of round 47: Lee Hye Mi" everything disappeared and the room went white, then clear, revealing a huge crowd cheering. I was standing in the middle of a circular dome. I gave a small wave before I was escorted out of the arena into one of the hundreds of side rooms holding the contestants. 
 
"Congrats Hye Mi!" Andy picked me up from behind and spun me around. I turned and hugged him. 
 
"I honesty thought I was gonna lose you this time. Quit scaring me like that!" I punched his arm. 
 
"Ow! Geez, you know I don't go down that easy. I'm not dying in these games, I told you that." he slung his arm around my shoulders as we were both escorted to the infirmary. 
 
 
  It's sick...how people can actually enjoy watching as people fight for their lives. Too many have  died in these games, all for the sake of entertainment of the higher classes. 
 
  My name is Lee Hye Mi, and I am contestant 19941212 in the Incendia Tournament, in Capital City on planet 2012234, also known as Mato. This is my story.