Final

Redheads and Cigarettes

Revised:8/3/13

Seunghyun was nervous to attend his 5th high school reunion. It would be the first time he’d seen any of them since he’d changed. He’d lost a lot of weight and changed his hairstyle. His job as a music producer was high-paying, so for once in his life he could afford nice clothes and a cool car. He wasn’t sure if people would even recognize him as the chubby kid with the bowl cut and untidy uniform who used to go to school with them.
*
His best friend Youngbae looked exactly like he did when they went to school, except it's "Taeyang" now. And he's apparently dating Daesung, who is all blonde hair and eye-smiles. Both are enjoying satisfying careers, with Taeyang being a writer for a magazine, and Daesung a photographer for the same magazine. It's apparently where they really connected.
*
He didn’t spot his friend Seungri at first, but then he saw him with a brunette draped across his arm. Even though he was the youngest, Seungri always was the playboy of the group. When he approached him, he noticed that while Seungri hadn’t drastically changed, there were subtle changes that made him look more mature. They chatted for a while, and Seunghyun found out that because Seungri had spent a year in Japan, he was actually still in college to earn his degree in foreign languages. The brunette was his current girlfriend, Chaerin,who he had met in Japan. Seunghyun could see in Seungri's eyes that Chaerin might actually be the one for him.
*
He'd caught up with all his friends now, and made all the obligatory social exchanges, but the reunion wasn't over. He wandered around the room, carefully avoiding the eyes of his former classmates by staring at their feet instead. All he saw were dress shoes and high heels, which was oddly reminiscent of his high school days. But something caught his eyes: a pair of bright red boots with black skinny jeans tucked inside. His eyes travelled up to the plain white v-neck and black blazer, and then up past the lip ring on pink lips pulled into a smirk, to settle on the man's warm brown eyes, which were staring straight back at Seunghyun. Oh. Seunghyun was a little lost, staring into the eyes of this man. He couldn’t quite picture this man, whose fiery hair matched his boots, walking the halls of his high school. He must’ve been someone's date, then. Seunghyun shakes off the sadness this thought brought, and lowered his eyes again. He took a sip of his drink and moved off. Suddenly, there was a pale hand on his shoulder. He turned and saw immediately the bright red hair of the man he had earlier been admiring. Seunghyun gulped and met his gaze.

 "H-hi," He stuttered out, cursing himself for his nervousness. His cheeks were turning a light pink, and if this gorgeous man didn’t start talking soon Seunghyun might spontaneously combust. But then he started talking. And now Seunghyun was SURE that he would spontaneously combust because this man's voice was HEAVENLY. Belatedly, he realized the man was staring at him. "Uh, what?" he said, immediately angry at himself for being so stupid as to ignore what this beautiful man was saying, and end up sounding horribly idiotic in front of him.

 The man smirked. "I said, do you want to go outside? It's really stuffy in here, and I don't feel like seeing most of these people anyway."

Oh. OH. "Yes! Uh, I mean, sure. I could use some fresh air." The man smirked again. He did that a lot, Seunghyun noted. They headed out to the parking lot.
*
"So." The man next to him said. Seunghyun waited, savoring every word of his. The man raised an eyebrow over the edge of his cup, which he had brought up to his lips. "What's your name?" the man asked, eyebrow still raised in curiosity.

 Seunghyun could feel his eyes widening as he stuttered. "Seunghyun," he finally managed to say. This time both of the man's eyebrows rose.

 "Seunghyun...Don't you recognize me? Probably not, we weren't really friends in school."

 Seunghyun furrowed his brows. So this man HAD gone to school with him. Strange, he just couldn't picture this man walking through the halls. After a couple minutes of scrutinizing, Seunghyun shook his head. The man let out a sigh.

"In school they called me GD. It’s not my real name, but it’s what everyone knows me as." Oh. The name was familiar, but Seunghyun remembered GD with short black hair and athletic clothes, not an attractive and stylish redhead. He also remembered GD hanging around with a crowd of douchebags who liked to make fun of Seunghyun's weight. GD had never participated, but he never stopped them either. The man must have seen his confusion because he shrugged and said, "Yeah, I was a major back then. Sorry about that. I never really liked it when they made fun of you. I've changed a lot since high school, though. Of course, so have you." He very obviously dragged his eyes up and down Seunghyun's body, checking him out. Seunghyun, who still had insecurities about his body, squirmed beneath the man's heated gaze. Seunghyun tried to move the focus off of him by changing conversation topics.

"So, um, GD, what do you do for a living?"

 GD shrugged and answered. "I'm a fashion designer. I designed all the clothes I'm wearing." Seunghyun didn't doubt it. Probably GD was the only one who could actually pull off that look.  There was an awkward lull in the conversation, and Seunghyun realized he was staring. He wrenched his eyes from the beautiful man and coughed uneasily, trying to start a conversation, then nervously pulled out a cigarette and stuck it in his mouth. Now GD was staring at him.

 “Oh, uh do you mind?” he asked, suddenly nervous that he had unintentionally pissed off the one person he wanted to please.

“Not if you give me one too.” GD was wearing his trademark smirk, causing Seunghyun's face to flush even more than it already had. He fumbled with the box, almost dropping some of the precious cigarettes, before he finally managed to pull one out and offer, with a shaking hand, to GD. GD’s smirk looked a little odd  stretched around a cigarette, and the lip ring shone strangely in the flame of GD’s lighter. Great. Now he was thinking about GD’s lips. And that damn lip ring, which would probably be the death of him. “So…”GD blew out some smoke. “Wanna come back to my apartment?” Seunghyun almost choked when he accidently inhaled his smoke.

 “I—um—uh…” he stuttered out, his eyes wide and his brain unable to function properly. The redhead threw back his head and laughed. When he calmed down to just slight chuckles, he continued talking.

“Not like that, pabo! I meant that I’m tired of this place and I want to continue this conversation. So, what do you say, my place?” Seunghyun was pretty sure his eyes couldn’t get any bigger, and his face couldn’t get any redder, but now he was a tomato with frog-eyes. Unable to process anything GD was saying, still hung up about the fact that he was going to GD’s apartment after talking to the man for the first time in 5 years. Even if he was insanely attractive, this wasn’t what Seunghyun normally did. But still, he found himself mutely nodding his head. And then they were off.

*

The inside to the apartment wasn’t what Seunghyun had expected. While it was posh and swanky, much like GD himself, it was also homey and inviting. Seunghyun felt like even though the couch was probably worth more than his entire apartment (because yeah, he was rich, but he wasn’t that rich), he could still curl up on it and NOT worry about ruining it. GD set about preparing them drinks, while Seunghyun explored GD’s apartment. He was actually kind of surprised when he found a picture of GD and another man at some beach pension. Oh. Well, maybe Seunghyun had been reading the signals wrong, and GD really did just want to be friends. That revelation was certainly depressing, and probably why he didn’t hear GD coming up behind him.

“What’re you looking at?”

Seunghyun squealed cried out in shock. GD came around next to him and gave a genuine smile. “Oh, I remember that trip! Dongwook took me out to Busan and we went to the beach everyday! Oh, I miss him. I wish he would hurry up and finish his military service.” His bubbly sentence ended up dying a little by the end, and Seunghyun felt the strong need to comfort him, even if he was simply awful at things like that.

“Hey it’s alright… He’ll comeback soon.” Well. That was pretty terrible.

Still, GD nodded, exchanging the drinks in his hands for the picture of him and Dongwook.

“I know, but I wish hyung would come back soon. It’s hard without your best friend around.” Huh. Maybe GD and this Dongwook guy weren’t dating? Shaking his head to rid himself of these thoughts, Seunghyun sat down on the couch, sipping at his drink. GD soon joined him, placing the picture back on a table.

“So, Seunghyun. You haven’t told me anything about yourself.” He was eyeing Seunghyun almost like a hungry predator. Seunghyun gulped, nervous all over again. “W-what do you want to know?” GD sent Seunghyun a large smirk and scooted towards him. “Well, let’s start where we left off. What’d you do after school?”

 Seunghyun blinked. “I—college?” He cursed himself for making it a question. God, why was he so awkward? Seunghyun was brought back to reality by GD’s chuckles.

“I figured that. I meant like where. How long? You haven’t even told me what you do for a living!”

 Again, Seunghyun was imitating a fish, gaping at GD. How was he supposed to begin? “Well….I went to Seoul University and majored in Music with a minor in business. I work for YG now as a music producer…uh...that’s it I guess.”

GD scoffed. “Uh-uh. That is NOT it. I want the nitty gritty details. Tell me about. i dunno, about your… life. Girlfriends? Boyfriends? One night stands? Come on Seunghyun! Tell. Me.” GD punctuated his statement with a glare that had Seunghyun fumbling. He started looking for an escape, because there was NO way he was telling GD about his life. But GD was insistent and Seunghyun’s resolve was easily broken, so Seunghyun began the humiliating task of telling GD. He decided to mumble it quickly to get it over with:

“I’mstilla.”

WHAT?!” Shrieked GD, obviously shocked that this gorgeous y handsome man was still a .

The blush that Seunghyun had been wearing for most of the night had spread from his cheeks up to the tips of his ears, and down to the back of his neck. He avoided GD’s gaze as he answered the unasked question. “I’ve had a couple boyfriends, girlfriends, too, but I guess I’m just waiting for the right one, which none of them were.”

GD nodded, completely understanding his logic. But damn if that didn’t make him just a little bit more attractive. That juicy little tid-bit was filed under 'things to bring up again later.'

“So…let’s play 20 questions! I’ll start. What’s your favorite color? Mine’s white because it goes with everything. Black, too.”

Seunghyun smiled at the bubbly GD, glad for the change in subject. “Red,” he answered, eyeing the other man's hair. “My turn. What’s your name? Your real name.”

That through GD for a loop. “I—my name? Well that’s no fun.” He pouted. “Jiyong.”

Seunghyun smiled, testing it on his tongue. "Jiyong. I like it. Almost as much as I like you."

This time it was Jiyong's turn to blush and duck his head at Seunghyun's cheesy-ness.

*

EPILOGUE

*

Seunghyun climbed out of his car and straightened his suit. It was with 10th high school reunion, and he was nervous.  His popularity as a music producer had sky-rocketed recently, and he was worried that someone would try to pretend to be his best friend. Hopefully, although unlikely, he wouldn’t get noticed.

*

Youngbae Taeyang was there without Daesung this time. As Head Photographer, Daesung had to oversee the Paris photo shoot for the magazine he and Taeyang had started together. It had apparently always been Daesung’s dream to have a magazine, and Taeyang was all too happy to work with his fiancé. Plus, he was now the Chief Editor, which meant he was allowed to wear those ridiculous braids he had always been so fond of.

*

He was shocked. Seungri and Chaerin were married, and expecting a kid. They apologized profusely for not inviting him to the wedding, but it had been a small wedding in Pohang, and they didn’t want to drag everyone there for one day. And they promised to keep in touch so he could have updates on the baby.

*

He’d talked to everyone. People had come up for photos and autographs, and, quite frankly, it was quite tiring. He was about to head home when he spotted bright blue heading out the door. His lips pulled into a smirk and he slipped outside.

“What took you so long? I was going to leave without you.” Jiyong murmured, placing a cigarette in his mouth.

Seunghyun rolled his eyes and puffed on his own cigarette. “No you weren’t.”

Jiyong smiled and shrugged. “You caught me. Now can we go? I’m tired of people.”

Seunghyun let out a small chuckle and snuffed out his cigarette. With his free hand he grasped Jiyong’s hand and pulled him in for a quick kiss. “Yeah, we can go.”

And they left hand in hand.

***

Done! I hope I didn't disappoint anyone....

And I hope everyone on the East Coast survived Sandy!

Happy Halloween!

Yeah, so hopefully this is better, because apparently it was really really awful and I'm sorry that it was so rough, but I was just getting back into writing after 3 years. 

See any mistakes still? Any boring parts? Tell me!