Conclusions (Don't Look Back)

Boy Meets Nerd Turned

 

The day after I saw him kissing Jessica, I broke up with Siwon. It was only a matter of time for me to end things with him.

 

He looked a little startled and hurt, but also somewhat relieved.

 

His face completely returned to normal by the time he went back to Jessica. He asked her to date him right then and there.

 

She glanced quickly in my direction before turning back to Siwon. She smiled brightly and threw her arms around his neck.

 

It hurt.

 

It hurt to see the two people I cared for most in the world to be so willing to push me to the side to be with each other. I was only second best, for both of them.

 

It tore me apart, since I wanted them both to be happy. And the only way for them to both be happy was if they both left me behind and got together.

 

But I would have no regrets.

 

As I saw Siwon and Jessica happy together, I shed no tears.

 

I was done with crying.

 

I did what was best for them. I vanished from their lives.

 

It might seem cruel and selfish. That they would be hurt badly by my departure.

 

They easily got over it. Seeing me would only bring pain to both of them. They would get the misconception that they had betrayed me. I brought this on myself.

 

Better forgotten, then have my presence be a constant reminder.

 

Several years later, I received a small, hopeful wedding invitation.

 

I didn’t respond.

 

I debated with myself for weeks. In the end, I came to a decision.

 

Dressed in a simple dark blue dress, I stood quietly in the back corner of a large church. Near a side door, I was nondescript and unnoticeable.

 

She was beautiful.

 

He was handsome.

 

The perfect couple.

 

As they vowed their undying love for each other, they shut me out forever. A bitter smile crossed my face as they said their vows and sealed their union.

 

I could see his parents off to the side. Another reason I didn’t deserve her, he could take care of her. I could not.

 

I deserved neither of them. I never did, and I never would.

 

I turned and left. My black heels clacked lightly down the hall as I walked to the front entrance.

 

I pushed past the impressive wooden doors and opened the door of the limo waiting for me outside. I waited a little. The wedding procession opened the doors. The bride and groom came out laughing as flower petals besieged them from all directions.

 

They caught a glimpse of me, and I turned and ducked into the car, shutting the door behind me.

 

The looks on their faces were shocked, but they had no time to react before the festivities swept them up again.

 

I nodded to the driver, and we swiftly drove away. I didn’t look back.