Whisper

Deadly Sweet Melody

 

Just what am I doing here again? I was standing in front of Siren’s Lake. The cold breeze of the night brought me to a shiver. White puffs of air came out of my mouth as I exhaled; winter is approaching. Will this pond freeze into an almost cylindrical ice cube once winter is here? I sat down on the cold grass. I brought my legs to my chest and wrapped my arms around them. It brought me warmth in this cool atmosphere.

 

“1, 2, 3, 4… 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17… 19 lotus flowers.” Strange. I remember there being only 18 lotuses. I must’ve counted it wrong. “17, 18, 19… 19.”

 

“The Siren must’ve lured in another victim.” A familiar voice said from behind. Minah? My upper half twisted around to see who it was. I slightly smiled at the sight of Minah. Minah then sat beside me, leaving a gap of 1 foot.

 

“Its nice to see you again, Chanyeol.” She smiled and I returned the favor. “And you, Minah.”

 

With every passing minute of silence, I grew self-conscious of my actions for reasons I cannot seem to find. My palms grew sweaty even though it was cold, the speed of my heart increased and I could only focus on everything Minah. Calm down, calm down. I wanted to run in order to get rid of the growing anxiety inside of me. I tried to act as clam as possible but I wasn’t able to last long. I sprung up, surprising Minah. “Say, do you want to go on a walk with me?” I reached out a hand for her to take. “Gladly” Minah smiled and took my hand.

 

 

 

 

The walk was peaceful and quiet. All of my anxiety and nervousness seemed to have vanished the time we started to walk. It sure is beautiful. I admired the beautiful scenery of lampposts and trees. She sure is beautiful. I looked down to Minah. Beautiful.

 

Our hands brushed against each other and I couldn’t help but notice the icy coldness of her skin. Her outer exterior showed no signs of shivers or coldness but I had a feeling that Minah was suppressing it. Is she not cold? I could barely keep myself from getting goose bumps. I wondered how she could suppress the coldness despite the thinness of her jacket. Our hands brushed once again and the coldness of her skin brought shivers to my spine. With each brush I grew agitated. The coldness of her hands worried me. For what seemed like hours, I made a bold movement, which was taking her hand in mine. My heart was beating like crazy.

 

“Thanks.” Minah tilted her head upwards and smiled at my gesture whilst letting our fingers interlace. “No problem.” That was all I could say without becoming a stuttering mess.

 

“I know this is random and all, and it might seem a bit creepy, but do you live around the area? I mean… cause I don’t…” Minah stifled a laugh. “The question is a bit creepy but since a cutie like you is asking, it just lessens the creepy factor.” She called me cute! Blush crept onto my cheeks the more I thought of Minah calling me cute. “And to answer your question, I do live near here. Since you asked me a question, I’ll ask you one as well… If you don’t live near here then why do you come to this park?” I took my time to answer. Why did I even come back? “I don’t know… Maybe its because of the landscape and the peaceful aura that reeled me in.” Or maybe there was a possibility that I would see you again.

 

 

 

 

The walk had succumbed into a soothing silence. Although I liked the silence I also longed to hear her voice. I wanted to hear her talk just so that the air would be filled with her melodic voice.

 

“Are your eyes really that color?” Minah looked at me and then to the ground. “Chanyeol… You know that no one has chrome colored irises, right?” I nodded. “These are just colored lenses. They look realistic don’t they?” I nodded feeling humiliated. Stupid idiot. Minah tightened her grip on my hand. “There’s nothing wrong with asking such a question so don’t feel ashamed of yourself.” I looked to Minah and she only smiled. It was as if she could read my mind. It was as if she knew what I was feeling.

 

My mood had lowered just a bit and I didn’t feel like talking. Minah could somehow sense it. “Would you like me to sing for you?” Minah asked out of the blue. Not knowing how to respond, I just nodded my head.

 

Minah cleared before beginning. Once she sang, I was lost for words. Her voice was heavenly; soothing and melodic to the ears. I closed my eyes and let the melody dance in the air and into my ear where it stayed flowing freely.

 

“Siren” The word had come out in a whisper unknowingly. The singing had stopped in an abrupt manner that it caused me to open my eyes. Minah was still as a rock. “What did you say?” Her tone was serious. “Siren…” I whispered.