Siren's Lake

Deadly Sweet Melody

 

I was in a slump, nothing seemed to go well during these past few days, and everything just seemed off. I was talked down upon when I failed to see or fix my mistakes; I grew self-conscious when I made one; I just did not seem to move on, go forward no matter how much of an effort I make. Luck wasn’t on my side. The happy-go-lucky guy was nowhere to be found, he was instead replaced by a man I’ve never seen or thought existed. I was cooped up in my room like those stereotypical emo kids. The depressing atmosphere started to choke me, I had- no, I needed a breath of fresh air, I needed to find that happy-go-lucky guy once again.

 

My lifeless eyes wondered around Seoul, South Korea. I was walking mindlessly, aimlessly around the busy streets, not caring where my feet led me. I can clearly hear a woman singing despite the loudness of my surrounding. Her voice was melodic, soothing, calming, I felt hypnotized to the point I found myself walking towards it, wanting to see the woman sing in front of my eyes. I bumped into people but I did not care nor did I stop to apologize, all I wanted to do was find her. I took no note of my surroundings, I just simply followed the melodic voice; my current situation roughly reminds me of a cartoon in which an old woman sets her newly made pie on the windowsill, the sweet aroma of the pie causes anyone nearby to float in midair and slowly make their way to it; the melody was the pie while I was the nearby stranger.

 

The singing became more prominent as I entered a seemingly empty park. Trees acted as stone columns on the sides of the stone path, lampposts in between the trees lit the dark night… it was a beautiful sight indeed. The path I walked led me to a large pond. Small lights were placed around it creating a halo, dozens of lotus flowers floated on top creating a sort of harmonious vibe. Words were engraved on a rock that seemed to be 3x3. Siren’s Lake. It was an odd name considering that the “lake” was just a large pond, though the siren part is a bit iffy as well. The more I delve into the name the more it seems to make sense… sort of. I was too deep in thought that I didn’t notice the singing had stopped or that someone was standing a foot away.

 

“Siren’s Lake…” I mumble to myself. “Weird name for a pond, right?” I jumped when I realized I wasn’t alone. “Oh! Sorry did I scare you? Sorry, I didn’t mean to.” I looked to the girl beside me; she seemed to be around my age. “I was just a bit taken aback, I didn’t notice you were here.” An awkward silence followed.

 

I glanced back and forth to observe this girls feature without looking like a creep. She was quite a beauty; Ember like long hair that sparkled underneath the lights of the lampposts, chrome colored irises that seemed to glow with every passing second, pale doll-like porcelain skin free of blemishes, pastel colored pink brushed onto her lips and cheeks, her body emitted an angelic aura. Beautiful indeed.

 

“So, Siren’s Lake…” I started off. “Huh? Oh, right… It’s an odd name right?” I nodded. “Why did they name it that?” She took some time to answer. “Its an old story. They say that a Siren lives in this pond. The Siren would lure in her victims, usually men, using her melodious voice. Her victims didn’t suspect a thing as they could only see a goddess like woman; they were fools to really believe that façade… The Siren continued to sing as she led her victims towards the water. At this point the victims were in an unbreakable trance. Once they were at the deepest part of the pond, the Siren submerged herself as well as her victim under the water, drowning them. They say that the lotuses represent the victims that had fallen prey to the Siren. Lets see… 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18… 18 victims in total.” She smiled at me.

 

“How could she live in this pond?” Although the pond was quite huge, it still seemed too small for a person to live in it. “Don’t be fooled by its appearance. The pond may look shallow but it is apparently more than 20 feet deep.” I leaned forward to take a closer look, it was dark and the lights didn’t really help. I wonder if I can see her. I leaned further in. I felt a light push on my back and I soon found myself tipping over. “Whoa!” My arms frantically rotated counter-clockwise. “I’m going to fall!” I was pulled back by the shirt and landed on the soft grass. I placed a hand on my accelerating heart. “Thank goodness.” I said in an exhausted tone.

 

The girl stood in front of me, guilt written all over as she bit her lip. “Sorry~” She reached out a hand for me to take. As soon as my skin touched hers, jolts of electricity surged through my body giving me a tingly feeling. I shook my head as I got up. “No it’s okay… My name is Chanyeol, Park Chanyeol.” She smiled. “Minah, Han Minah.” Minah took my hand and shook it.

 

We uttered no words as we sat cross-legged on the grass. The silence was peaceful unlike the first; maybe it was because she wasn’t a complete stranger. The serene setting caused me to lie down and close my eyes; I fell asleep in a matter of minutes.

 

I was submerged in water, sinking aimlessly into the dark abyss. I felt a calming sensation run through my body as the familiar voice began to sing. I closed my eyes for a bit, letting the melody smoothly sweep through my body like silk. A pair of hands took hold of mine causing me to open my eyes. Minah. Her ember hair reminded of the little mermaid, floating beautifully in the water; her chrome colored eyes softly gazed at me as her hand trailed up my arm and to my cheek, caressing it as she sang that hypnotizing tune. Minah slowly pushed forward, reducing the gap between our bodies and letting us sink further down. I was running out of oxygen and she could sense that. Minah than leaned in whilst closing her eyes, I closed mine as well. The sensation of our lips meeting and then conforming to one another’s brought me to a high. I lost my train of thought and continue kissing Minah until I ran out of air.

 

Cold drops of water sprinkled my whole body, causing me to wake up from my dream. The dark night was replaced by the bright morning sun. I must’ve slept here. My body shuddered at the thought of carelessly sleeping in the park. Why didn’t anyone wake me up? Minah! I looked around but she was nowhere to be found, gone with no traces left behind. She just left… I can’t believe she just left me, leaving me in my most vulnerable state. I ran my fingers through my head, cursing at myself for being so careless. The sprinkles snapped me back to reality. I ran before I could be hit any further.

 

 

 


What do guys think of it so far? Interesting? Boring? So-so?