Chapter 1

Loki, God of Mischief

 

Chapter 1

“Come on now, Loki. Away from the spectre.”

A lazy drawl boomed behind the small body that was enraptured with the sapphire globe - one that showed a world so fascinating to the little one. Slender hands hovered over the ever changing view of another life, moving against the globe and another image appeared.

“Look, brother. Midgard is so…different. This planet of your guardianship is full of mortals, full of differences, full of wonders! One falls in love here, another kills – what Fate! I envy you, brother.”

Excitement and mischief bubbled in the innocent voice.

“Yes, it is,” the other agreed, dismissing the sentiment. “But let’s away now, Loki. Mother is looking for you.”

“But, Thor –“

“Loki.”

With a hesitant nod, Loki turned, green eyes pleading at the same time rebelling. Lush black hair fell short below his ears. Light shimmered into the chamber and the black lighted into red. Thor watched with unyielding eyes and extended his hand.

“Let’s go now, brother,” his voice stern but gentle.

Loki sighed, knowing the brunt of Thor’s tenacity.

Slowly - stalling time - Loki rose from the chair he sat on, brushing imaginary dust from his green robe. Magick shimmered onto his head and perfectly placed silver head ring, an intricately carved crown adorned his black hair. His shoulders slumped slightly in defiance to his brother but he extended his hand to the man in armour. Thor pulled the younger up to his feet, and led his brother out of his chambers, the doors closing heavily. 

“Come now, Loki. This is my victorious day – a feast to be enjoyed! I need my brother to share my joy,” Thor exclaimed, watching Loki’s sullen expression. His long black lashes casted shadows onto his high cheekbones.

Loki kept silent. His head angled slightly away from his brother, held high and arrogant.

“There’s always another time for tomfoolery, brother,” Thor continued, his tone getting lighter as he glimpsed Loki’s smile.

Not long after, they had come to a stop in front of the heavy, golden carved entrance. Two stoic guards bowed their head to the two. Behind the doors, Loki imagined the number of guests feasting upon such celebration – the accession of the God of Thunder to Asgard’s throne.

“It’s a promise, brother,” Loki cheekily said both a statement and a question for his dear brother. Thor nodded.

“Announce us,” Thor ordered – voice majestic.

“Behold! The Princes of Asgard – Thor Odinson, the mightly Thunderer and Loki Odinson, the sage Silver tongue! Rise!”  

And the doors opened, giving way to the two. Cheers erupted.

Thor cocked his head slightly and Loki instinctively but very subtly leaned in.

“There’s always time for the God of Mischief to stir trouble.”

A bright smile adorned Loki’s lips as his mind concocted a marvellous scheme.

~~

“Brother, when -“

“Not now, Loki. I’m busy,” Thor held up his hand.

Loki sauntered nearer to the new King of Asgard.

“But, Thor!”

“Enough!” Thor’s voiced boomed and the hall shook. Lightning flashed outside of the Asgardian castle and thunders soon followed. Loki winced and stilled to calm his racing heart. His perfectly expressionless façade defied his growing anxiety in the face of her brother’s temper.

“Now, brother. A second will sure not to kill you,” Loki chuckled – guarded.

However, Thor frowned.   

“I’m in a middle of an important task and I do not need any distraction from you, Loki!”

Loki watched as red adorned Thor’s golden tinted skin. Mjolnir trembled as the God’s rage rose.

“I have a kingdom to rule and I won’t tolerate any mischief from you now, brother!”

Loki gasped, feeling his anxiety morphing into anger. His fingers tingled with defensive magick.

“Thor! Such insult!”

“Silence Loki, before you become the recipient of my wrath!”

Loki crossed his arms, feeling utter incredulous for his brother’s blind temper. He knew better than to face this ugly temper of the Thunderer.

“Fine,” Loki spat. Turning angrily, the sorcerer’s black cloak billowed. His brother was an arrogant fool! Just then, Thor’s voice – quitter this time – echoed.

“Fandrall seeks for your hand in marriage and I accepted his proposal. You are now at age of marriage.”

That did it. An insurmountable amount of injustice, anger, hurt and confusion surged through the young God. How could he? His own brother!

Loki turned sharply.

“HOW COULD YOU? YOU DO NOT DICTATE MY LIFE!”

“LOKI!”

With a flick of his wrist, the heavy doors slammed open and Loki stormed out. He turned to his brother once – eyes filled with angry unshed tears.      

“I LOATH YOU, THOR!”

Accompanying the God of Mischief’s rare tears, Thor’s thunder echoed. Lighting coloured the skies of Asgard. The realm knew of Thor’s rage.

“I ORDER YOU TO COME BACK HERE, LOKI!”

The stubbornness of both led to a rift between them.

Thor’s refusal to shed his arrogance and Loki’s refusal to have his fate by his brother’s hand…

~~  

 “Are you sure, milord?” the old maiden asked worriedly. Her master’s hard face brought fear into her heart.  

“Yes.”

Was Loki’s short answer.

“My young prince,” the elder tried to coax the angry god.

“No more. I will not be at my brother’s mercy. He changed! Not the brother I know. My decision stands. I trust you to tell no one, Thor especially of this!”

“Loki…”

A soft voice made Loki turned to the door.

“Mother,” Loki called out. He could not contain his emotions at seeing the beautiful woman and rushed into her welcoming embrace. Loki’s body trembled – he was crying.

“My poor dear,” Frigga cooed at her youngest. She treaded her dainty fingers through Loki’s thick black curls.

“He…he wanted me to marry t-that vile creature! I’d rather carry the child of a stranger who will first touch me,” Loki sobbed angrily. A plan subconsciously formed in his mind, the gears turning, thoughts hatching into devices.

Oh, Frigga heard. Her oldest has consented to one of the Warriors Three’s proposal for Loki’s hand when he knew full well of Loki’s hesitance to be tied to another man. Men and women alike desired her elegant youngest prince. He knew many had come to their realm – kings, queens, princes, princesses – in attempts to win Loki’s cold heart. Now, Thor had accepted the one third of the Warrior’s Three, his old friend Fandrall’s marriage proposal.    

And without asking Loki no less!

“Now now, dear. Surely not to the point of wanting to leave?” Frigga asked softly.

“I must go, mother,” Loki’s voice filled with pain and anger – a grave decision he was making. “I will leave this realm. My life is not controlled by Thor, even if he is the king.”

“And to leave your poor mother alone?”

Guilt ate at Loki’s soft heart. Only his mother was able to melt his heart. But he must – freedom meant everything to him.

“No mother, you will not be alone. There is father and…Thor.”

Silence filled the big chambers and finally Frigga sighed. Reluctant to let her favourite son go, but she respected Loki’s decision.

“Stubborn as always,” Frigga said, trying to hold some mirth in her voice. Her hand flew to unclasp the locket from her neck before hooking the silver necklace onto her beloved’s neck.

“Mother, this –“

“Something to remember us by. Do not forget where you come from and where you belong, dear Loki. Remember that Asgard is your home.”

Loki wordlessly traced the silver chain to the locket with his mother’s emblem. The emblem of the phoenix, the bird of fire – one element he had the full control over.

A lone tear cascaded down the prince’s pale cheek as his mother kissed his brow.

~~

“Open the Bifrost, Heimdall.”

“Your highness.”

“Send me off…send me off – to a place where Thor will never find me. And never tell him.”

“As you wish, young prince,” the Gatekeeper replied; his voice deep and void of emotions. The face that the Asgardian royalty adorned showed his resolution. Bit by bit, the God of Mischief changed his features, his body, and his clothes into one that resembled nothing of him except for his face. Heimdall watched silently, eyes golden and all-knowing.

The portal between realms opened and Loki felt a force pulled at her very body and she closed her eyes.

And Thor realised a moment too late that he had lost his only brother.

~~

“I don’t want to.”

“What? Hey, come on!”

“I told you, I don’t want to. Now leave me alone.”

The door slammed at his face and he blinked before gasping in disbelief at the other’s treatment to him before he banged onto the door like a crazy man.

“Hey! Open the door! HEY KRIS!”

Kris stared at his door blankly before scoffing at his friend’s persistence. He took refuge on his couch, taking back his book to resume his interrupted reading – in front of his vast balcony. He purposely let the doors open and the chilly autumn wind blew in. The night sky presented him a marvellous view from his apartment. It was good that he bought the entire top floor of the apartment building. He wanted to buy the whole complex actually. He got the money, why not use it?   

“YOU’RE NO FUN! YOU HEAR ME, KRIS? THIS IS WHY YOU’RE NOT GETTING LAID! YA HEAR ME??”

“Whatever you say, Minseok…” Kris muttered, his eyes already running across the words on the page. All he wanted was a quiet Saturday night where he could spend his time filling his head with mythologies and tales. One he was reading now was his favourite – the Norse legend.

The banging finally calmed down and he could imagine the short man named Kim Minseok sulking away. Kris let out a relieved sigh and flipped to the next page.

All was peaceful and quiet until his ears caught a smooth rumbling. Frowning, Kris looked out to his balcony. Was there going to be a thunderstorm? But the sky was as clear as he first opened the glass doors.

Then, there was that rumble again. And a sound almost like a piercing shriek made him antsy. Kris sat straight, eyes squinting at the dark night – trying to find any abnormality.

None, he found.

Warily, Kris focused back to his book. It didn’t cross his mind that he should probably close the balcony glass doors. It was silent for a while before a loud booming sound and a similar shriek as before cut through the air.

Something blinded Kris’s vision – a bright light – and a really strong gust of wind rattled the windows facing his balcony. A few things were knocked off from the top of the antique table by the balcony – a potted cactus and a picture frame.

Kris’s hair was also the victim of the sudden wind and he squinted his eyes when he realised the light was on his balcony. His book was abandoned – the page not even dog-eared.  

‘What the hell is going on??’ he thought.

Just as he was about to shield his eyes from the strange light, it suddenly vanished – along with the mini airstream.

“Wha?” Kris felt annoyed.

As soon as he was sure that no more wind was going to knock him off his feet, Kris cautiously make his way to his open balcony. His steps were slow but they were purposeful. He wasn’t afraid of anything, just pissed off that his perfect evening was now ruined.

It was then that Kris realised that there was something on his previously empty balcony floor.

Something wrapped in soft olive green courtesy from the lights in his living room.

Now hesitant, Kris approached the mysterious thing. And what he finally could identify shocked him. His eyes widened.

“Oh my God…”

There on the floor…was a girl – unconscious.