Chapter 3

The Dragon Named Wufan; A Man Named Kris

Tao stood absolutely still. His breath was hitched almost painfully in his throat. Wild eyes frantically searched for signs that might suggest that the dragon was awake. Tao’s large obsidian eyes gazed at the sleeping beast, taking in the dragon’s black scales and resting leathery wings. He would never admit it, but as he gazed at the dragon he saw something similar to beauty. It was nothing but a small tickle in the deepest depths of his mind, but admiration was still there. It was outshined, however, only by the intense concentration of fear that coursed through his very veins.

Cautiously, Tao began to walk backward, trying to escape what could very much lead to his death. He tried to be as silent as possible but the coins littered all around him made that very difficult. A cold sweat broke out across his brow. Cool drops of the salty liquid caused violent shivers to shake him as it slid down his cheek and chin.

Tao held his breath as he felt that he was being jerked downward. His foot had gotten tangled in an obnoxiously long string of pearls. As he fell, Tao felt his heart stop completely as well as his eyes squeeze shut. He knew when he hit the ground the sound of the coins echoed throughout the cave so loud that it was almost painful to hear. Tao kept his head bowed and his eyes shut tight as a small mewl left his lips due to the pain that radiated in his rear because of the rough surface he landed on. He almost didn’t notice how the breathing changed. He almost didn’t notice how his hair flew back with a strong, yet warm and drawn out breeze, yet swayed forward with a short puff… almost.

Tao’s eyes fluttered open and hesitantly looked up to be met with the slight of large, honey-shaded reptilian eyes staring into his very being. Once again, Tao was frozen. He could hardly breathe as he watched the dragon flare out its wings and raise its head in a way that conveyed sheer superiority. Its large leathery wings were slightly curled inward, for not even the spacious cave could hold the creature’s full wingspan. Its chest, plated with strong, shield-like scales, was pushed out and its head was leaned back, looking as though it were getting ready to strike. Narrowed eyes met fearful ones as they stared at each other for countless seconds. It was a sharp gasp that ended the silence when Tao felt a jagged tail secure around his torso and fling him against the pile of gold. Still, Tao was too stunned with fear to move. The beast’s head bowed closer to the frightened boy, hovering over his shaking form while he remained pinned to the bed of riches. The dragon’s chest vibrated with a growl loud enough to shake the little coins around them. A whimper left Tao’s quivering lips just as a roar left the dragon’s mouth. Darkness began to cloud his vision just at the mere sight of the many rows of razor sharp teeth that were bared at him.

“Ow!” Tao squeaked when he felt something hard hit his head. He looked up to see the dragon’s tail pouring the gold coins on his head. “O-ow, please stop…” Tao whimpered, shielding his head from the offending objects. He was answered only by a threatening growl. Tao tried to sink lower into the pile of gold, wanting desperately to get away from the dragon that kept pelting him with gold. It seemed the dragon was starting to get irritated with the boy. “I didn’t take any!” Tao shouted in fear when the dragon released another heart stopping roar.

The beast suddenly stopped his little assault on the boy. Tao peaked through his long lashes at the dragon that was contemplating him with narrowed eyes. He was on the verge of tears because of the levels of fear that pumped throughout his entire body. Why wouldn’t the dragon just finish him already?

The boy’s eyes widened in surprise (a feeling he assumed he would be quite accustomed to when this was all over) when the dragon’s tail pushed him from the pile of gold and onto the ground roughly. His winced when the scaly appendage lifted him onto his feet and flinched away from the dragon as it drew closer, eyes testing him silently. Nothing could be heard, save for the deep breathing of the beast that loomed over his significantly smaller form. Occasionally the dragon would nudge the boy with his snout, making Tao stumble to the side, but that was nothing compared to what came next.

Tao stared up at the dragon, mouth gapping open in complete and utter shock as the dragon slashed its claw across his clothing. Now, Tao stood shivering before the beast with nothing to cover himself. He was baffled. Sinking to the floor, Tao brought his knees to his chest, trying as hard as he could to hide himself from the dragon’s gaze.

With a huff, the dragon turned its back to the boy, not forgetting to use its tail to sling a new set of human clothes at him. They were no better than his now destroyed clothes, but they would have to do. Tao hurriedly pulled the clothes on his body, still shaken by the turn of events. Wary eyes watched as the dragon made itself comfortable on its “bed”. It rested its head and closed its eyes, wings folding back to its side like a blanket while its tail curled around the countless amounts of treasure. Tao did nothing but stare at the beast in awe as he watched its nectar eyes slid shut and as its breathing evened out until it was lulled into a gentle slumber.

Truthfully, he didn’t know what to do. Should he leave? Stay?

Tao opted for the former. Quietly turning on his heel, the boy tiptoed toward the exit, fully thinking that the dragon wouldn’t really care if he left.

Oh, how wrong he was…

Tao squeaked (for the nth time that day) when the dragon’s tail blocked his path. He turned to look at the beast to see sleepy eyes glaring at him warningly.

I guess I’m not leaving, Tao thought as his body shook ever so slightly with the bits of fear that remained in him.


Note: OMG YOU GUIZ ;~~~; you all make me so happy <3 you make me wanna tell you everything that's gonna happen but i caaaaaan't i don't wanna ruin anything D: <3
I love all you subbies <3 so so so SO MUCH <3