The Truth

Their Worn Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When she woke up and saw him sleeping by her bedside, AeRin was not surprised. She had been expecting him, but no matter how many times she pictured the scene in her mind, she could never find the right way to start or the right words to say. "Wooyoung," she spoke gently, nudging him with her arm.

 

His eyes popped wide open, and he blinked at her before growing frantic. "You're awake, AeRin. Do you need a doctor? No, you should. Let me press this button, and I'll get you a glass of water afterwards. No, wait, let me prop you up first."

 

She softened when she saw how concerned he was. "Wooyoung, I'm fine. Help me up, and let's talk."

 

When he saw that she was nestled safely into her pillow, he sat back down. His heart beat quickly, and because he had to keep his hands preoccupied, he ran them through his hair. "How are you? Are you in pain?"

 

"Not physically, but emotionally, yes."

 

"Rin, I'm sor--"

 

"No, that wasn't what I meant," she said, shaking her head.

 

"Then what?" he asked quietly, eyes searching her face. He could see she was nervous, from the way she gnawed on the inside of her cheek, and it sent panic signs to him. "What is it?"

 

"I was pregnant."

 

He felt the air rush through him and his knuckles turned white as he clutched onto the bed sheets. "Was?"

 

"I lost our baby, Wooyoung, two days before he or she would have passed the first trimester. I started bleeding, and by the time I arrived, the doctors were unable to do anything to revive our child." 

 

"Why didn't you tell me?" he asked seethingly. "I'm the father, aren't I?"

 

She heard that accusing tone and looked at him sharply. "You of all people should know that I would never cheat on you, no matter how angry or upset I was. I'm not like you," she shot back.

 

Wooyoung bit his lip to control his anger. "I was out of line, and I apologize for that. But I won't take back my first question, AeRin. Why didn't you tell me?"

 

"I found out during our separation, and I was not in the mindset to share it with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter