A Crack

Breaking into her world
Please log in to read the full chapter
4. A Crack

Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies. -Aristotle 

 

Taeyeon remained frozen on the tree branch. 30 minutes had passed since Tiffany had climbed over the wall, but Taeyeon was still unable to move, her irregular heartbeat sending her into a whole turmoil of confusion. Tiffany’s face was still etched in her mind and her voice was still floating around, as if she was still there. It was like music to her ears, a song that she could play forever on repeat and never tire of it. Her heart palpitated wildly at the thought, causing Taeyeon to shrink down a little in fear.

This is not normal.

Taeyeon shut her eyes and forced all those thoughts out of her mind and to her absolute relief, her heart regained its normal pace again. Letting out the breath she had been holding in, she stretched to rid herself of the muscle cramps she had gotten from sitting tensely for so long. Mimicking Tiffany’s actions, she scrambled down the tree and landed lightly on the floor, dusting her hands off in satisfaction.

Tiffany came here? How does she know?

Taeyeon pursed her lips at looked back at the tree, her complicated mind working in ways very little understood as she tried to calculate the reason of Tiffany’s arrival.

Thought this place was secret.

Blinking, Taeyeon looked around at the little garden she had just discovered. The cool wind wound around her, pushing through her brown locks as it seemed to lift her up and support her. She closed her eyes and spread out her hands, relishing the feel of the little breeze.

Calm here. I like it.

Tiffany knows. Should I still come?

Unknowing to Taeyeon, her vocabulary was improving by leaps and bounds, ever since she had met the eye-smiling girl who saved her from the incessant bullying. It seemed to have triggered something unnatural in Taeyeon, managing to improve her limited speech drastically.

Taeyeon wrinkled her nose, her eyes still tightly closed. Suddenly, on impulse, she started to spin. She spun like an ice-skater on the same spot, pivoting at her right tiptoe while her other foot hung lifelessly in the air. A faint smile appeared on her lips and she repeated this several times until she started to get dizzy.

Calm. Nice feeling. Spinning. Whee.

She lost her balance and her eyes snapped open as she teetered on the edge of her foot before she slammed straight to the ground, groaning in pain.

Ouch. Ouchouchouchouch. That hurt.

She pouted slightly, before reaching out to grab her glasses which were dislodged when she fell. A flash of pink beside them caught her attention instantly and she squinted at the blinding color. She put her glasses back on before peering at the object lying a few feet away from her. Curious, she walked over and squatted next to it, silently trying to discern what the object was and where it came from.

Pink. Rectangular. Ooh fluffy.

Taeyeon reached out her hand and prodded the furry pink sketchbook before breaking out into a fit of giggles. She ran her hand along the fluffy cover before grasping the cover and turning it. She frowned upon seeing the first page.

What is this? T----I-----F-----F---

She scrutinized the weird language, recognizing it as something she was learning. The language was ambiguous and usually left Taeyeon dumbfounded at the weird symbols which supposedly meant something. She had failed very badly for that subject and absolutely detested it.

Taeyeon made a face before flipping to the next page. Her jaw dropped at the perfect drawing of the scenery around her. Tracing a finger along the well-shaded picture, she glanced up to check if it was the same. The similarity was astounding.

99% chance. This drawing is this place.

She finally sat down properly, crossing her legs as she picked up the strange notebook and browsed through all the pictures, each time tracing the picture as if she longed to jump into it. Finally she reached a page which was unlike the similar drawings of the garden. The page simply depicted a little girl scrunched up against the locker, her hands covering her ears, her eyes staring soulfully out of the picture. Taeyeon furrowed her brows and bent closer to take a better look.

This… This is Taeyeon.

Taeyeon cocked her head to one side thoughtfully, tracing the drawing with a finger, admiring the fine work of art. She brushed the page with her hand lightly and caringly.

I like it.

She let out a small smile before carefully tearing the drawing out of the sketchbook, finally patting the notebook as if it was a dog. Suddenly she frowned again.

Hyoyeon unnie said we cannot take other people’s things without permission…

Taeyeon thought for a while before f

Please log in to read the full chapter