Chapter 4

Obsession
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kris' P.O.V

When I saw Yoona, I knew it was not a good thing. For God’s sake, can’t I have a day when I don’t have to deal with her?  Trying to calm my nerve, I continue to smoke, ignoring her earlier comment. I stare at her pointedly when she walk towards me.

 

“What do you want Yoona? I told you, my partner is Luhan now. I don’t want to change that ever.” I blew the smoke to her face which effectively made her stopped in her tracks to fan it away from her face. I moved sideways to create more space between us since my back was facing the windows. I can’t hide my satisfaction when I saw her hesitation to come closer to me. 

 

“I’m not going to cling on you, Kris. That was me years ago; I’m not like that anymore. Goodness, relax ok.” She turned her attention to my table, browsing through the notes and reports. She was reading some of Luhan’s notes and turned “besides, Luhan texted me and asked me to help with this case.”

 

I couldn’t suppress myself from frowning at that. Clearly my dear partner is going deaf. I swear, I think I need to pour bleach into his ear next time. For having such a massive brain, he couldn’t even comprehend such a simple task. “Clearly, my partner found a link, each girl had borrowed the same book from the local library and knowing you had connection, he thought it will be a smart thing to call you so we can access the library tonight.” Irritated at my dying cigarette, I jabbed it on the ashtray and light another one. I wonder why I quit smoking. It’s the best creation mankind had ever invented. 

 

“Well, I do have connection but I’m not God. I can’t make you guys interrogate the local librarian at this ungodly hour. I can arrange it though. First thing in the morning, I’ll leave him a text now so he won’t be surprise to see you guys.” She was on her phone fast, leaving no room for argument. “Did you guys find any other connections?”

 

Blowing a stream of smoke, I picked up a picture and passed it to Yoona, “Other than the way the murder was carried out, the book was the only possible link... and”.

 

“Chanyeol sent you an email?” I found that she was reading the email that Chanyeol had sent earlier. I snatched it away and frowned at her. “No, he did not send me that email. He sends it specifically for Luhan.” 

 

“Of course, here I thought you guys were on good terms. Well, everyone is well- acquainted with Luhan. He is a joy to be around with. He was supposed to be Chanyeol’s partner. I wonder why Victoria made him yours after a few weeks. I mean why change?”  Yoona mused.

 

I had to hide my wince when she said that. , nearly gave it away. No one must know that I begged Victoria, on my knees, to change my partner. Not that I specifically asked for Luhan but I rather babysit a hyperactive kid than a blubbering fangirl. Plus it’s not my fault that Chanyeol refuse to take in another partner after Luhan. Totally not my fault.

 

“Well maybe she thinks that you’ll learn more from Kai than me.” I quickly dismissed her while taking a quick puff. 

 

“I seriously think you need to slow down with that.” Yoona pointed at my nearly burnt out cigarette. Oh God, I really don’t need this right now. 

 

Annoyed, I crushed my cigarette and light another one. “My business, not yours. Anyway thanks for texting the librarian. You can go home now. There’s no point if you stay here any longer.” I was too tired to care to be polite. I need to get rid of her before Luhan comes back. He’ll probably make her stay and make me share my food. And knowing Luhan, I can’t even say no, much less argue with him. I need to talk to him again about upholding the code of partnership. Even with his massive brain, he doesn’t seem to get it. Goodness, he’ll be the death of me one day.

 

“Since I’m here, I can actually help a bit. I’ve been following up the news about this case.” She took off her jacket and threw it on my couch. I could hear my headache coming. “Seriously Yoona, you don’t have to. I think it will be best if you go home.” Lighting another cigarette, bloody hell, what happen to the last one, I greedily on it, hoping it’ll keep my headache at bay. “I’ve read Chanyeol’s email and he had cleared some of our doubts on the case.”

 

“Kris, I really think you need to slow down with that cigarette.” Oh here comes the ing headache. Breathe, remember Victoria will maul me if I do anything rough. Breathe, remember Victoria’s memo. Oh Luhan, I’m going to kill you for this. Leaving me here to deal with her. Pinching the bridge of my nose, I took a very, deep breath. “Thanks for your concern Yoona but don’t worry ok. I think it will be best for you to go home now. It’s pretty late.” I politely smile at her. Hoozah! Calm and collected, I did it! You’ve done well Mr.y.

 

I was gathering all the notes when I saw from the corner of my eye; Yoona’s hand was extended, as if reaching for my face. Out of sheer bloody panic, I grabbed her wrist, twist it behind her ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter