Meeting a fellow Rovan

I'm Dawn Marson: Your clumsy little vampire

 

 

October 18, 2012

 

Human! How did you find this piece of parchment again? I’m quite sure I was still in Alaska yesterday when you found my first parchment.

You are an interesting creature.

You do remember me saying not to read and to quit this insanity of following me around, right? So this also means I will not be held responsible if you ever be in danger.

I don’t have the time to worry about you when I have myself to take care of. Being freed from prison isn’t as easy as I thought.

I am happy that I finally escaped the lonely prison cell of Alaska. Still, I am quite disappointed because now I know that coming to Alandron City doesn’t really mean I have escaped cruelty.

The moment the airplane doors opens I have already sensed that someone was killed because of my scent… someone was killed because of me.

The others said I shouldn’t worry, that I shouldn’t be worried about it. Is that even possible? Someone just died because of me! It’s the exact same thing in Alaska.

Yes, many have died because of me.

There is nothing I can do but to be silently guilty. That’s why I never consider myself as the strongest or the hope of my kind because of all that’s worth, I only see myself as a useless existence or worse… a burden.

The security guided me with their kind and welcoming voices. I should be grateful really, but I can’t help but notice that as they welcome me… they are wearing their masks; they cower when I pass. Its irony only shows how I am unaccepted here.

Even K, the person I have considered as my brother wasn’t there to welcome me.

School though, is an interesting place. It’s exactly what I see in the pages of the book. Although, the students are a bit different on what I’ve read. Indeed, reading materials only show a fraction of the truth.

My disguises did help me from hiding my identity. A vampire’s eyes have wonders that I will never understand. I can see things sharply when they are close and at the same time I can see things as far as 80 meters. My contact lenses hide my red eyes and it adjusted the part of my being really nearsighted. The big eyeglass balanced my vision by canceling my farsightedness too. Now I have eyes of a human. Which so to speak is very weak than what I normally have.

I have just learned that my scent to humans is normal. I felt a bit of sheer happiness when I learned this. But my own kind said that vampires wandering might attack me so they covered my hair with a curly wig and my whole body with an artificial skin. Vampires are a lifeless pale of white, in order not to raise suspicion I had to wear that too.

The braces did the last trick. Fangs you see are retractable. They show when vampires want to use them. I was never taught how to do that, so I can’t control and hide them myself. The silver braces hold them up for me.

School ended and I realized that it isn’t hard to live with those sweet, mouth-watering humans at all; fitting in with them is the real challenge.

Although I don’t think I can face that challenge. I am a vampire, so why do I even have to fit in?

Anyways, I’m quite excited human, I’m soon meeting a fellow Rovan. They said, he’ll be my brother from now on! Isn’t that good new? Finally someone that I can call a fam---

 

 

“Milady,”

Dawn jumped in surprised when the Manor’s butler called her attention.

“Y-yes?” She said, and slowly hid the writings on the parchment.

“I am sorry, but Royal Chief of Rovan gave a message that he can’t be with you for the evening. He said he’ll meet you tomorrow.”

Dawn pouted, even he can’t see me. Everyone is so busy here. “Thank you for telling me Butler Wee.”

He bowed and left Dawn pouting in disappointment. She crumpled the parchment she just wrote and threw it in the furnace. She stood up and tried to walk again. “Waah!” She leaned on a table and balanced herself.

I hate these stupid heels, why do they make them in the first place? It has been an hour when Lady Margaret, her teacher in proper etiquette and protocol forced her to wear the black sandals. She was given thirty minutes to master how ladies should walk properly.

Dawn stubbornly kicked the sandals away just when the doors opened again and a horrified Lady Margaret appeared. “Milady! What a scandalous behavior!”

Dawn sheepishly picked her shoes and shuffled to her teacher. “Can we do this again tomorrow? I promise to do better Lady Margaret.”

When she looked up with those great big eyes, Lady Margaret can’t help but think how a darling this girl is even how scary her eyes are. “O-okay, but you have to improve by tomorrow.”

“Yipey!” Dawn hugged her lightly and thanked her.

“Milady, dinner is served.” Butler Wee announced.

Dawn followed the old man towards the dining area; barefooted. She examines the intricate designs on the walls along the way that never fails to amaze her. There are sure a lot of them.

“Milady, if you please sit.” Butler Wee bowed again and pulled the chair for Dawn. She obliged and jumped to the chair.

“We did our best for your first meal, please enjoy!” He took the covering away; revealing the food and in an instant, Dawn’s jaw dropped.

On the luxurious silver platter lays a heart and a bowl of blood... of a human.

“Is there anything wrong Milady?”

I can’t eat a human heart! I have never done this before! But how can I tell them that when they have worked so hard for my first meal? Whose heart is this? Was he dead when this was taken or… or…

Dawn’s mind was bursting with all worries she have. She looked up and she can actually see how the people serving her anticipate her first bite. She took a fork with a slightly quivering hand and touched the heart with it. Just a single pressure and crimson red blood oozed out.

Dawn yelped and dropped the fork. “I am so sorry!” She said to Butler Wee and everyone else who were slightly taken aback at her sudden shout. “B-but I don’t… I have never… eaten a human before.”

“But Milady, this is only what we have.” One of the maids said.

“Th-then I shall not have dinner for tonight. I can hold my hunger.” Dawn replied.

“You don’t get it Milady, if you won’t eat anything, then we will utterly be punished by the Rovans for starving a fellow Rovan.”

Dawn was already at the edge. She didn’t want anyone else to be punished because of her.

Just then, a knock on the dining hall’s door halted the rising commotion. “There is a special delivery for Dawn Marson!”

What is this, another human heart? Dawn anxiously thought as she went to the door and took a small white box from the deliverer.

She put the white box on the table and took the small envelope hanging loosely on the side.

Dawn gasped in surprise and a little smile drew up from her very lips when she saw the letter. She very well knows the penmanship of the sender. It was from K!

 

Dawn,

My beloved sister, I see you are finally at the Manor. I’m glad you made it safe.

I’m sorry I can’t be by your side at this very moment. The whole environment and sudden tasks are probably giving you a shock. Hang on Dawn, I will be there soon.

I am just busy at the very moment; some business to take care of. Behave okay? Listen and follow Lady Margaret.

I can’t wait to see you! As a welcoming gift, I have brought you something that will save you with your problem right now.

Until we see each other Dawn.

Sincerely,

K

P.S. If it is not so much to ask. Stay inside your room for the whole night. And make sure to lock it. Take care Dawn.

 

 

Dawn folded the letter with full smile on her red lips. She focused on the box now and carefully opened it. Oh K! He was indeed her life saver! He had brought her a raw beef meat to eat.

Butler Wee saw what’s inside too. He is still shocked that a vampire declines to eat a human heart but nonetheless he is relieved that they can avoid themselves from being punished.

“Butler Wee?” He looked at Dawn and found her sinking her razor sharp fangs to the meat. Blood gushed out and slid down to the sides of her chin. He looked away. Even if it was only a meat, it made him very nervous. Expected from her…

“Yes Milady?”

“You can have the heart instead. I’m contented with this meat.”

 

The sun has fully hidden like a coward now and darkness starts its restlessness. Dawn is inside her room; reading a book that the school has provided. It has only been an hour when she finished her literature and biology book. Yes the whole two books.

She didn’t dare to even try geometry knowing that she’ll only fail. She doesn’t get why it is a must to find the area of a pentagon or why you have to extract a number from it’s root. It is a very big mystery to our little vampire. Just then, she remembered that Mr. Scrooge gave them an assignment about the movie Happy feet. She gladly took out a piece of parchment and started to write her reaction to the movie.

She dearly loved those cute penguins especially when they tap their feet.

Suddenly, there was a low rumble from the clouds. She shivered at the sound. It isn’t a regular thunder; it felt so much… alive.

“Done!” She exclaimed. In a mere three minute period, Dawn was able to finish her paper. She sighed after that. There was nothing else left to do! She leans back on her chair and looked up to the clouds again.

Hungry… challenging…

It is funny how she treats the sky like a real person.

 If it is not so much to ask, stay inside your room for the whole night. And make sure to lock it. Take care Dawn.

It was out of boredom that she remembered what K has written on the paper. I must not disobey K, I must not…

She mustn’t she says, but now she is already facing the thick metal door with her hands on the doorknob. I won’t be in danger anyway; I mean this is the Manor after all K.

She opened the heavy door and went to the living room where she heard low murmurs from numerous vampires.

 

Servants, butlers, maids, particularly everyone in the manor has finally gathered in the living room. Normally they’d work and attend to the needs of the house at this hour but tonight is a special night. Everyone was either nervous or excited at what was going to happen.

“Butler Wee?”

All heads turned to the stairs when they heard a very soft and soothing voice. They saw Dawn sheepishly looking at them with her hands together at her back. The moonlight escaping from the huge windows hit Dawn’s reflection and gave of a silver glow. Her red eyes are calmer to look at now and her face depicts a vulnerable and innocent little maiden.

A fair irony of what every vampire thinks of her.

The male vampires sigh as they stare at the alluring woman. It is such a waste that they can’t witness what’s going to happen inside the manor.

“Milady you should be in bed by now!” Butler Wee said in concern.

“Vampires don’t sleep, why should I be in bed?” She muttered and pouted. When she was in Alaska, time was a meaningless thing. She was imprisoned so she can’t make use of ‘time’ even if she wants to. Now that she is free, she’s not wasting a single second staying in her bedroom.

“Are you going somewhere?” She asked when she eyed their clothes.

“We are going to hunt Milady,” Lady Margaret said with a strained voice. “It is, of course, what vampires do at night.”

“Would you like to come?” The gardener of the Manor offered. “There are many tasty humans at night.”

It was enough to make Dawn withdraw. She was horrified at the very invitation. “I-I’m not hungry. P-please enjoy yourselves.”

Everyone sighed. Dawn did not insist in tagging along! Now the plan is going to work. “We shall go then Milady. If you please, keep watch of the house.”

They all bowed and a millisecond later, they were all gone.

Now that the manor was empty, the whole place is pressed with deafening silence. Dawn shuffled awkwardly. Despite of being a vampire, she hated the darkness and solitude.

“Hmmm…”

Dawn’s head snapped at the direction of the sound. Was it just her imagination or…

“Uhmm…oh”

It was a real sound! And Dawn is sure she heard it from the kitchen. How is that possible? She counted all of the staffs in the house and she is quite sure everyone left.

“Oh… mas-master…”

The queer sound became a slow moan now. The person has just said master, then does this mean there are two of them?

Dawn silently made her way to the kitchen.

If it is not so much to ask, stay inside your room for the whole night. And make sure to lock it. Take care Dawn.

The words of K were repeating in her head now. She now realized that K and even the whole staff knew that something bad will happen tonight. No wonder all of them wanted her to go to bed.

With quick and cunning steps, she reached the kitchen doors and now the moans are much more audible and clear. It irritated Dawn knowing that they were lustful and aggressive. But nonetheless, her curiosity ached to know what’s happening.

Slowly and carefully, she peered through the doors and there she saw two people, a man and a woman, kissing each other’s lips.

The moan has come from the woman who has fallen for the men’s alluring charms. She was sitting on the kitchen counter; her hands were tugging the man’s hair while he captured her whole being with his wistful hands. “Oh master,” the girl mewled when the man broke the kiss and leaned closer to caress the woman’s neck with his lips.

WHAT ON EARTH ARE THEY THINKING? CAN’T THEY DO IT IN THEIR HOUSE?

Dawn was about to step out and cut the scene when suddenly the man drew her lips. His two sharp fangs appeared as he sniffs at the woman’s scent.

He is a vampire! Dawn realized. No wonder his features were so handsome. He moves his sharp jaws too elegantly and every time his lean and muscular body moves enticingly, he would give off a very alluring feeling. Most women won’t be able to resist him.

The man looked up to the woman and gave him an irresistible smirk. “You look delicious.” Before the woman can even thank him to this compliment, the man opened his mouth and strikes.

And by striking, it means he sinks his fangs to the woman’s neck. “Master wha—aaahhh!” Blood spurted out like a fountain of water from her veins. It hit the man’s handsome face. He the blood and gave another smirk. “This is not enough for me pretty lady.” He hangs his hands and his nails become sharper.

Before the woman can even run, he stabbed his five fingers to the lady’s chest, tearing her apart.

Dawn clamped to stop herself from gasping. It wasn’t a make-out session after all. The seductions were preparation for his meal. Dawn wanted to help but she was frozen to her place. She saw the girl, now dead with her eyeballs rolled off, being slowly eaten by the man.

“Is watching me that fun?” The man suddenly said out of nowhere. “Why don’t you join me… Dawn Marson?”

His eyes met swiveled and met Dawn’s eyes.

He found her! That was enough to get her over from shock. She ran as fast as she can. She can hear the low chuckle as she moves away from him. She reached her room safely, slammed and locked it tight.

She was panting not because of being tired but because of the nervousness that she has felt. Dawn jumped to her bed and covered herself with her blanket. That’s the first time… the first time I have seen an attack.

The sky rumbled again and this time Dawn sank to her bed even more. She didn’t care if time would fly, she didn’t care if she has nothing to do. She feels so terrified; being locked again in Alaska was a better option.

For the first time, Dawn complained of vampires not being able to sleep.

She waited and waited under her blanket. Hoping that Butler Wee or Lady Margaret would soon arrive.

 

 

“Milady”

“AAAAAHHHH!!!!” Dawn screamed when someone suddenly removed her blankets.

“It’s only me Milady, please calm down.” Butler Wee said in a soothing voice. Dawn looked at the window and figured it was already morning.

Dawn jumped to him and hugged his arm. “B-but-tl-er Weee… ”

“You are still stuttering. Please calm yourself and then talk to me again. For the mean time, come, your breakfast is ready.”

Dawn did not let go of the butler’s arm fearing that the guy last night would appear again. She hides behind the old man’s back as they went to the wide dining area again. “We have brought you chicken from last night’s hunt Milady. Please sit down.”

With great amount of effort, Dawn sat on the chair and slowly eats the raw chicken. Her eyes swiveled from left to right, checking if the horrifying guy is around the corner. She suddenly noticed her butler taking one step towards the exit.

“Wha- butler Wee you can’t leave me, you can’t!” Dawn screamed.

“Milady, I will be back. I promise I’ll be fast.” The old man patted her head. “Just eat and distract yourself for awhile.”

Dawn followed Wee’s advice. She focused on her food; her hands slightly shaking knowing that she’s now alone inside the huge room… Well, that’s what she thought.

“Enjoying yourself Dawn Marson?” The voice was just right beside Dawn’s ear. A strong scent blasted into her nose. That’s when she realized…

The man from yesterday was just right behind her.

CRASH!

Dawn toppled the table and ran towards the exit. Before she can even pass through it, the man was already standing in front of it. He has his arms crossed and his head cocked in an arrogant manner. “You have to run faster if you want to escape Dawn,” he sang.

Dawn turned around and runs away again. The man chuckled, cute, he thought. He ran after her, and was able to take hold of her wrists.

BAM!

He pinned her on the wall and smirked. “You are pretty fast, expected from Dawn.” He looked right at those red eyes that so many have feared and growled hungrily. He leaned down and caressed Dawn’s neck with his nose.

Dawn wants to scream, but she was too scared to do it. She tried to struggle away but even if she is the strongest, she can’t fight back to this man. She was untrained, the man is a pro.

“You are delicious,” the man murmured. He drew back his lips and grazed his fangs on Dawn’s smooth and alluring neck.

The fangs brought her to hysteria; adrenaline pumped through her veins. She struggled and this time she was able to push him away from his neck. “Let go of me!” She squirmed.

“You are very attractive Dawn.” The man chuckled again. He balled his fist and punched her stomach. Dawn gasped, her hands and knees failed. The man caught her before she can even fall to the ground. “Impressive you were able to push me away. You know, most vampire would faint and break a bone when I punch them but you…”

Dawn’s mind was all a blur now. She knows she is held by a killer, but she can’t move; not with the punch he just gave her. “Stop running away from me Dawn. Now where was I again?” He paused and held her tighter, “Oh yeah. I was going to bite you.”

Dawn was pressed on the wall again. She managed to mumble her protest but it was no use, the handsome man was on her neck again.

I can’t possibly die like this!

“YOUNG MASTER, PLEASE STOP! YOU CAN DO THAT TO MILADY DAWN!” Lady Margaret just entered the scene and saw what was happening. “YOUNG MASTER!”

“Aish, FINE! I’LL STOP! GEE, Lady Maraget, you should have let me scare her just a little longer.”

What? Scare me? Dawn’s eyes fluttered weakly. She still can’t move though, and her weight is still supported by the unknown man.

“Lady Margaret…” Dawn uttered. “Who… is…”

Lady Margaret bowed, “Milady Dawn, this is the Royal Chief of the Alandron Rovans… Kim Jonghyun. He is the brother you have been waiting for.”

Dawn gasped at what she just heard. She pulled away and met eyes with Kim Jonghyun who is smiling evilly at her.

 

 

“Welcome home my little sis.”