Finally

Frenemies (A JeTi Collection)

 

 

We've been bestfriends for 10 years. Who would have ever thought that we would be? You and me, we're opposites. I'm quiet, you're loud. You're confident, I'm timid. Despite all these, we clicked together. You were the only one who made me open up to people. I became friendlier, far from the cold person that I used to be. You brought the changes in me that I never thought would happen. Our friendship has been tested through time. Others tried to keep us apart but you chose to stand by me. With you by my side, I can be the happiest person alive. For every day that passed, we grew closer and closer. You got that special place in my life and in my heart. For the first time in my life, I learned the meaning of love. You made me fall in love with you, so deep that I feel like I'm drowning. Yes, I've been in love with you for God knows how long now. Are you stupid for not even noticing my feelings for you? No, you're not. I was. Actually, I still am. 

I never had the courage to confess my love to you. Well, actually, I tried once. The memory of that night still lingers on me. A night full of heartaches and tears that still haunts me in my dreams. 

"Tiffany...I...I...have....so-something..to tell y-you...", damn this stuttering. 

"What is it Jessi? You've been repeating the same line for the past ten minutes!", a look of curiosity and impatience can be seen all over your face. 

I closed my eyes, gathering all the strength I have and calling all gods to help me get through with this. I took a deep breath as I open my eyes. “Tiffany, we’ve been friends for 10 years now, right? And you know that I won’t let anything or anyone  destroy our friendship..”, I praised myself for not stuttering.

“I know! Gosh Jessi! You’re making me nervous!”, you whined.

“..but if I don’t say this now, I might never get the chance to let you know that..”, I paused before continuing. “..Tiffany, I love you”.

“Tiffany!”, a man called you. You turned to the direction of the voice and I followed your gaze. A tall and good-looking man was standing few meters from us, waving his hands happily. I glanced back to you and you’re looking at me, puzzled.

“Jessi? You love me?”, I flinched to your question.

“I….I..”, before I could even speak, the man approached us. He reached for your hand gently and smiled to you sweetly.

My eyes widened in shock when he placed his lips on yours. I felt a sting in my heart. The pain was breaking my already cracked heart into pieces. Time seemed to stop. My hopes were crashing. My eyes slowly brimmed over with tears. I couldn’t hear anything except the sound of the pieces of my heart unhurriedly falling on the ground, not even your voice. I felt so numb. I was so stupid for even thinking that maybe, just maybe, you can love me too the way that I love you.  

 When I came back to my senses, you’re looking at me with concerned eyes. But I don’t need your concern or your pity. I need you. Only you. “Jessi, are you okay?”, that’s one of the most stupid questions I’ve ever heard. I am not okay and I think, I will never be again.

“Y…Yeah..I…I..need to go...”, I managed to answer before running away. I ran but how stupid I was to glance back only to see you in his arms, embracing each other tightly. As I run, tears were uncontrollably rolling down my cheeks. I kept on running, bumping into people, not knowing where to go to ease the pain. If love is the greatest feeling in the world like what others say, then why I am hurting?

 

 Since that night, I tried to avoid you. Yes, I tried. But the longing and sadness in your eyes that I see everytime our eyes meet told me to stop avoiding you and to talk to you. I know you’re hurting but not as much as I feel. I decided to be just your bestfriend who will stay by your side as long as you want me to and protect you from anyone who would dare to hurt you. Call me a masochist but I’d rather hurt myself than to see the only the girl I love hurting. Why? Because my love for you is real. So real that I could love you, and keep loving you, without being loved back. As long as you’re happy, I’ll try to be happy too.

 I told myself to move on, be straight and find a man. With my looks and money, finding a man has always been easy but finding a person to love the way that I love you is the hardest thing to do. Yes, I’m still in love with you. It has always been you and I’m afraid that it will only be you until forever.

*******

 It hurts. After all these years, the pain never left. This excruciating pain in my heart everytime I see you with him is killing me silently. I'm slowly dying without you even knowing. The sparkle in your eyes when you look at him and the sweetness of your voice when you talk to him always remind me that your heart only belongs to him. A smile plastered on my face everytime you ask me if I'm fine. How can I be fine when the only person I love is in love with someone else? When I can't make her happy the way he does. When I can never be the reason behind her blushing cheeks and gleaming eyes. When I can't even tell her how much I love her.

 “Hey! Are you even listening?”, you snapped your fingers in front of my face.

 “Y..Yes..Of course!”, I faked a grin to hide the pang of pain I feel everytime you talk about your date with Nichkhun. Like how your dates usually end up with innocent, and sometimes hot, kisses. I’m getting sick of this but I just can’t ruin the moment when the sight of your smiling eyes always melts me inside. I just want to cherish my stolen moments with you. Stolen moments of only you and me, without his annoying presence, that might end up soon.

 “Jessi!”, you called my name, serious. I stared at you blankly, waiting for you to continue.

“Jessi! He asked me to marry him!”, you said as you looked down on your hands. I was shocked but I already prepared myself for this moment. I knew that this time would come but I wasn't expecting it to be this soon.

  I looked away, trying to avert my eyes before you could see how hurt I am. “What did you answer to him?”, I bravely asked.

   “What do you want me to answer him?”, you asked back.

 

I was confused with your question but I answered still not looking at you, “Don’t give him the answer that you think he wants to hear from you. Just follow what your heart tells you and you will know.” I smiled at you but you just stared at me. I was sure that I saw a glint of sadness in your eyes before you looked away. Why? You must be happy that Nichkhun proposed to you. It has always been your dream to marry the person you love and live a happily ever after with him. So why?

“Do you want me to marry him?”, you asked out of nowhere.

I pondered for a while, thinking of your possible reactions, before I answered, “What if I tell you not to marry him?”

You didn’t answer and I understand.

*****

 Here I am, standing alone in the airport lobby waiting for my flight to LA. Today is your wedding day and I made an excuse that my parents need me back to help them with our business. I lied. I just don’t want to see you walking down the aisle of the church toward your groom to be. I might not be able to handle the pain of seeing you getting married with someone else.

            Calling all passengers of Flight AE65- LAX! Please proceed now to the boarding area!

            “This is it! Goodbye Korea! Goodbye Tiffany!”, I whisper to myself as I smile sadly.

            I am walking slowly towards the boarding area when suddenly,

            “Jessi!”

            “Am I hearing things? Love really makes you crazy”, I thought.

            “Jessi! Wait!”, I can hear the sound of high heels coming near.

 As I turn around, my jaw dropped leaving my mouth open while my eyes are wide in shock. “Is this for real?”, asking myself in my thought.

            Then you stop in front of me panting heavily.  

            “Jessi! D-don’t leave!..”, you say in between your breaths.

            “T-Tiffany! W-what..are…y-you..doing h-here?...”, I ask you. “I-it’s your wedding d-day!”, I stutter while stating the fact.

            “I ran away!”, you answer when your breathing becomes steady and I notice that you’re still in your wedding dress.

            “Why?”

            “Because I don’t want to marry him!!!!”, you yell, loud enough to make the other people in the airport to look at us.

            I bow at them trying to apologize for the commotion then turn my attention back to you.

I am now looking at you, trying to find an answer to why you ran away from your dream wedding.

“Why?”, I finally gather the strength to ask.

“Because you told me to follow my heart….”, you answer, a smile crept upon your face.

“….and I did..that’s why I’m here..standing in front of the person I truly love.”

I am still in daze, wondering if this is just a dream. Can it be that the only person I love, a girl for that matter, is in love with me too? That the person standing in front of me right now is the real you? Then a lips stop me from my chain of thoughts. It's real. Everything that’s happening now is so real. You really are in love with me. No words can explain the happiness that I’m feeling right now, when the only thing that I dreamt of is now turning into reality. 

“I love you, Jessi”, you say as you pull away.

I smile, “I’ve been loving you for too long Tiffany, and I never stopped loving you. I love you!”

Final call for the passengers of Flight AE65- LAX!

Standing now in the middle of the airport are two people, lips locked together ignoring all the stares from the people around them, pouring all their emotions into the kiss.

“Finally”

 

 

 

 

*A/N: I tried not to use hifalutin words so that it will be easy for you guys to read. I believe that simple words are enough as long as you put the right emotions into them. Anyways, here it is guys! My very first one-shot! Hope you enjoyed reading even if it’s crappy! :) Sorry for the mistakes (especially with the indentions. i don't know why I can't indent the first sentence of every paragraph) :(  Comments are highly suggested because they will help me improve myself as a first-time writer. Thank you! Btw, did you expect the ending? Keke. XD

Oh! I’m planning of making this a JeTi one-shot collection but I am still undecided. Maybe your comments will help me decide? Hehe. XD