Confused

Stay With Me

 

 

“Excuse me?” She said looking confused.

 

“SeungHyun. You keep calling me SeungHyun. You did it just now. You did before, just after I woke up. You called me SeungHyun. Nobody calls me SeungHyun.”

 

“I’m sure you’re mistaken. You must a told me before.”

 

“No, I would have told you “Seungri.” Only my grandmother, who’s dead, ever called me SeungHyun.”

 

“Well, how else could I have known your name?”

 

Beat.

 

“On my driver’s license and credit cards, it says my real name. If you stole my wallet from the campsite... that’s how you’d have known.”

 

Long beat.

 

“You’re accusing me of stealing your wallet? I saved your life. Twice. Why would I steal your wallet?”

 

Seungri doesn’t respond.

 

“Now, just drink your primrose...”

 

“ the primrose!” Seungri tosses the mug across the room. It shatters. Seungri lifts himself up. Despite the pain, he heads for the room where the woman had gone in to make the radio call.

 

“Where do you think you’re going?”

 

“I want to call the Ranger myself.”

 

“NO!” The woman springs to her feet, jumps in front of him.

 

“I’m getting in that room.” Seungri maneuvers around her, when ..... the woman grabs the iron fire poker by the stove, holds it like a baseball bat.

 

“I can’t let you in there.”

 

Seungri takes a step forward. The woman swings the poker. Nearly hits Seungri. Seungri jukes left, she swings again. Misses.

 

“Where is my girlfriend? She’s in that room, isn’t she?”

 

“You sinners are all alike. I heard you last night. Spitting in the face of the Lord and his laws. Dining on the sins of the flesh.”

 

“You and your girlfriend will atone for your sins.”

 

Seungri lunges forward, grabs hold of the poker before the woman can swing it again.They struggle, crash against the wall!! The poker falls to the floor.

 

The woman jumps on Seungri’s back, wraps her arms around his throat.

Seungri spins the woman around in circles, then slams the woman up against the wall. The two fall to the floor.

Seungri pushes himself up, but before he can get away...

THE WOMAN GRABS HOLD OF HIS BEAR TRAP WOUND, SQUEEZES!

 

Seungri SCREAMS IN AGONY! Instinctively, Seungri kicks the woman in the face, boot to nose.

The woman’s head snaps back, then falls face first on the floorboard.

 

Seungri is panting, glances at the woman. She’s out cold.

Seungri pushes himself up, limps to the door. He grabs the handle, PUSHES IT OPEN...

 

Seungri enters to find a sewing machine, some yarn, an antique radio, but more importantly, no Chaerin.

He steps over to the radio, when he notices...

AN INCH THICK LAYER OF DUST COVERS THE RADIO.

He swipes it with his finger. This thing hasn’t been used in years.

 

Seungri turns, steps on a throw-rug laying in the center of the floor... his foots sinks a little. Seungri tests the floor board again.

It’s RICKETY. He pulls the rug out...

REVEAL A TRAP DOOR. Seungri grabs the latch, lifts it open.

 

Looking up past a weathered, worn and wooden staircase up at Seungri.

Carefully, Seungri makes his way down the steps, into...

Religious artifacts, lots of them. Crosses, photos of Jesus, statues of Mary, etc. Don the walls, shelves... everywhere.

On the far side of the room... like an altar shrine... NINE LARGE GLASS JARS FILLED WITH LIQUID...

INSIDE EACH JAR - HUMAN FETUSES, all in various stages of development and deformity. Each jar is labelled with their

own individual bronze nameplate ....... names

 

 

THE LAST JAR - The fetus is closest to term, maybe 8 months along.

Seungri, completely freaked out, backpedals, bumps into an iron door. He turns the handle, opens it...

It’s pitch black as Seungri opens the door. Next to the door, a light switch... He flips it on.

Sounding like three doors.

 

A sound. It’s distant, muffled...indistinguishable.

Seungri stirs, hearing the faint, muted sound from the end of the hallway.

Seungri staggers, leans against the wall for support. He’s woozy, but determined. He proceeds down the hall, towards the doors.

Just as Seungri passes underneath a light... POP! THE LIGHTS

EXPLODES. SPARKS, GLASS SHOWER onto him. As he brushes himself off.

 

A SCREAM cries out.

 

“Chaerin!?”

 

Seungri moves faster, reaches the end of the hallway, faces the door. He turns the knob, pushes it open, and...

Seungri steps into the room, the light from the hall SPILLS INTO THE ROOM, falls across...

Chaerin, tied to a beam that extends from the ceiling to the floor, a coarse rope secures a gag in .

She’s bruised with a lot of nicks and scratches.

Chaerin and Seungri’s eyes lock. Euphoria, pain all at once.

 

“Oh my God.” Seungri runs to her, touches her face. He checks the ropes tying her. They’re very secure.

 

“I need something to cut you down, baby.”

 

Chaerin tries to motion to the other side of the room.

Seungri follows her gaze... Searching wildly... scanning the room... a tool bench... tools... tools!

 

On a tool bench - A litany of the conventional and  unconventional. A hammer, screw drivers, axes, a flashlight,

then, finally... in the middle of bunch... a hunter’s knife.

Seungri grabs the knife, hobbles back to Chaerin. He slides the blade between her cheek and the rope, slices.

Several tense moments later... the rope breaks. Seungri tosses the rope and gag away. They kiss.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“Get me out of here. Hurry.”

 

Seungri starts cutting the ropes around her wrists.

 

“He’ll be back soon.”

 

“Who’s he?”

 

A LOUD THUD resounds. Where did it come from?

Not wanting or waiting to find out, Seungri doubles the effort.

 

“Come on, come on, come on...”

 

SNAP! Finally, the ropes tear. Chaerin’s free. Just as...

ALL THE LIGHTS SIMULTANEOUSLY GO OUT. COMPLETE AND TOTAL DARKNESS SURROUNDS THE YOUNG COUPLE.

 

Chaerin lets rip a short, but loud scream. Seungri quickly silences her.

BREATHING INTENSIFIES. Seungri and Chaerin take refuge in each other’s arms. Then...

Seungri remembers... on the tool bench... the flashlight. He feels around for the bench, when... WHACK.

 

“!” He banged his injured leg on something.

 

“What are you doing?” Chaerin whispers to him.

 

Seungri reaches the tool bench, feels around. Finds it.

 

“Seungri? Seungri?” Chaerin said in whispering tone.

 

Seungri turns on the flashlight. The beam cuts through the darkness and onto...

The Concealed Figure, stands face to face with Seungri brandishing his axe/sickle.

 

CHAERIN SCREAMS!

 

The Concealed Figure swings the axe/sickle, slices Seungri across the forearm. Blood sprays across the floor.

Seungri yelps in pain, drops the flashlight and knife.

 

“Chaerin, run!”

 

But Chaerin freezes.

 

The Concealed Figure comes at Seungri again, but... he eludes the attack.

Seungri grabs the flashlight, the only weapon within his reach, and swings, striking the Concealed Figure in the knee, he drops to the ground.

 

The Concealed Figure grabs Seungri by the throat, runs him as hard and fast as he can against a wall!

Chaerin’s frozen in fear.

He squeezes his throat harder, tighter. Seungri can’t breathe.

Seungri smacks the Concealed Figure in the face, squirms, all to no avail, until...

Seungri jams his thumb into his eye. The Concealed Figure screams, drops Seungri.

They both fall to the floor.

The fallen flashlight’s beam illuminates Chaerin backed in the corner.

 

“Get the out of here! Now!” Seungri urged Chaerin.

Finally Chaerin runs out of the room...

Chaerin feels her way out by touching the wall...