Mysterious Notes

Girls' Mystification
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~~~~~
Mysterious Notes
~~~~~

"What does that mean?" SeoHyun asked tentatively, rereading the threat for a third time over Yuri's shoulder.  Everybody—with the exception of Tiffany, who stood still as stone, blanched and slack-jawed—eyed Kid Leader, who was also standing stock-still, her mind racing.

"Maybe it's a sick joke," Hyoyeon suggested, taking the note and examining it herself.  "You know, Yoona's way of a take-that.  After all, she addressed Sooyoung as Choi earlier today, didn't she?"

"But what does it mean by 'next'?"

Hyoyeon continued to analyze it.  "Well, perhaps Jessica switched sides and they're pulling a prank."

"But it's not Yoona's handwriting…or Sunny's or Sica's for that matter," Yuri pointed out, peering at the scribbled letters.

"But isn't it an odd coincidence it should happen the same day we had the big blowout?" Hyoyeon reasoned.

Taeyeon thoughtfully inclined her head at Hyoyeon's rationale.  "Indeed.  Problem is, Yoon-Ah and SoonKyu aren't capable of pulling this off."  Or are they?

"They could have said they wanted to talk to her and then dropped the note as they lured her away."  Yuri had a good point.

"But what's in it for them?" faltered Tiffany.

"Hurting your chances as the more successful group…" a voice whispered.  They locked eyes on Sooyoung, whose head was bowed.  "We all know she's the fan favorite."  

"But why now threaten you?" 

Sooyong sighed dolefully.  "After I was banished to Loserville, Yoona bit Sunny's head off and asked why she pulled me onto their side.  Sunny said that…I would help pull in fans with my…"  Sooyoung exhaustedly rubbed her face with her hands.  "ual appeal."

Yuri recoiled slightly, secretly offended she too was not sought out by Sunny for the same reason as was Sooyoung.

"They know my loyalties don't lie with them."  Sooyoung shot a heartfelt glance at Taeyeon and Tiffany before proceeding, "…which might make me a traitor in their eyes.  Yet…there's just one thing that doesn't add up.  How could they have pulled this off while co-hosting?  Yoona'll have an air-tight alibi."

None of the girls had considered that.  "I can't say for certain, but I think it's all just a prank," Taeyeon announced more confidently than she felt, her words slicing through a prolonged period of unbearable silence.  "Let's not forget that Soo-Yeon has not only disappeared on us before, but has also pranked us."  Her face screwed up at a particularly distasteful memory of when Soo-Yeon dipped their kinbap in vinegar.  "Let's give Soo-Yeon a few hours to show herself."

"Jessica," Sooyoung grumbled, making off for the refrigerator to grab herself a water.  Why did Taeyeon always have to be so formal?

The water bottle cap twisted off with a loud snap—just as there was a disturbance at the front door.  The bottle froze at the girl's lips as the others jumped back in panic.  There was a turn of a key in the lock, and then the door slowly pushed open.  Much to their relief, Yoona stepped inside, only to frown at all the staring faces.  "Not going to let me in?" she defiantly challenged, standing in the doorway, her knuckles shining white as her grip tightened on the doorknob.

"To be honest, I was hoping you'd be Jessica," Sooyoung said with an impish smile, finally taking a sip of water.

Yoona glared, nearly launching into her piranha face, much perturbed and clearly not amused. 

"By the way, you wouldn't happen to know where she is, would you?"

Yoona narrowed her eyes.  "Of course I wouldn't.  I was off shooting a variety show, remember?"

"When was the last time you saw her?" Taeyeon inquired.

"Right before I left, she was getting dragged into Sooyoung and Tiffany's room so that the situation could be explained to her."  She shrugged.  "Why?"

Taeyeon shared a disappointed glance with Sooyoung.  "Well…Soo-Yeon's gone missing in action."

"You mean Jessica?"

Sooyoung had to bite down on her tongue to keep from laughing and spitting out her water in the process.  For once Yoona made her proud. 

"Wait a minute…are you insinuating that I have something to do with this?" Yoona queried, flabbergasted.

"We're not entirely sure—"

"Well I've never been so insulted!" Yoona cried, her face turning red on the spot, her pretty features quickly metamorphosing into a piranha-like face.  

"Hey, excuse me, I'd like to get inside," impatiently squeaked Sunny with a rough shove into Yoona's back.  Lifting her chin high into the air, Yoona stepped aside just enough so that Sunny could squeeze into the room.

"She probably ran away at the prospect of getting stuck with the master manipulator and her loyal sidekick," Yoona scathingly directed at Taeyeon and Tiffany.  With that, she tossed her long brown hair and began marching off toward Sunny's room.

"Wait!" Yuri cried desperately.

Yoona spun around, an evil smile spreading.  "Yes, Yul?"

"Yoona, you think I'm ually attractive, right?"

The other girls cocked their heads and shared perplexed glances, but Yoona didn't seem to give the question a second thought.  In fact, she looked both taken aback an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter