An old Place

An Author's Story

 

                ChunAe stared at the establishment before her... as though it was unbelievable that it was still there, standing still. Kangin smiled at her and nudges her to go in... the very same kembap shop he brought her in.  

 

                ChunAe’s group is progressing, thought the other groups already passed their final papers for the final defense. The teachers doubt that they could still make it, ChunAe nevertheless continued on working. She and the rest of their members are busying themselves with the project that ChunAe even forgot one special day.

                ChunAe was walking along the corridors while carrying bunches of papers with her. She looked haggardly and having dark patches under her eyes. She’s been neglected of sleep. ChunAe was about to turn right when her peer group appeared.

                “SAENGIL CHUKKA HAMNIDA!!!” They all sung the happy birthday song, carrying gifts and etc.

                ChunAe just looked at them with a strange look, as thought trying to remember the date of the day.

                “My birthday... is today?” ChunAe asked.

                “Yah! PAbo-ya... how could you forget your own birthday?!” Chaeyoung said and pats her head.

                “ChinJa???” ChunAe widens her eyes.

                “Aiggooo~~~ you’ve been so busy that you even forgotten your own birthday!” HeeJin shook her head.

                “Neh... happy 19th birthday, girl!” HyeMin smiled. “So... where to?” ChunAe looked at her friends, wearing an apologetic look.

                “Mianhae... but...” ChunAe just raised the pile of papers in front of them and they just sighed and nods. “I-I’ll make it up next time! I promise” Her friends smiled at her and hugged her.

                “Omo~~ nae Chunnie” ChaeYoung cooed. “We understand your situation...”

                “Gomawo!” ChunAe bowed slightly and left them.

                As she was moving on... she felt tears fallen from her eyes. She never felt so piteous and hurt... she wanted to cry more... but... there’s no time for that... there will be no time anymore...

...

                “... you have to encode this” ChunAe handed another paper stack to AhYoung. “Ae Lan, please go to the nearest market and research for these prices, HyukJae, please assist AeLan”

                “Arrasso” The three of them said and went on. ChunAe turned to YoungWoon.

                “You, drive me to the printing shop” ChunAe said and YoungWoon beckoned her to follow him.                 YoungWoon owns a bike. Though it’s not much but it really help them to transport without using their own pocket money for transportation.

                “Yah, you might want to change your clothes first, it’s going to take a long time in the printing shops since it’s rush hours” YoungWoon said as he peddles towards a familiar direction towards ChunAe’s home.

                “Arasso...” ChunAe said.

*Skipping clothes changing*

                As Soon as ChunAe changed into a hoodie and a pedal pants, YoungWoon took off his uniform, wearing his undershirt and his school pants. ChunAe doesn’t mind though... she still has alot of things in her mind, so she just climbed on the back of the bicycle.

                “Hold onto me, the road’s kind of steep” YoungWoon said but ChunAe was in her reverie that she didn’t catch every word her said.

                “What did yo--AAAAAHHHH!!!!!!” ChunAe immediately hugged YoungWoon from the back as she felt the change in speed. As soon as the ground levelled, ChunAe was still hugging YoungWoon’s back.

                “Err...” YoungWoon spoke.

                “Eh?” ChunAe looked up, YoungWoon was kind of squirming.

                “I could feel... uhh... your... uhm... thingies” YoungWoon said. ChunAe realized that she was still hugging him she immediately pulled out.

                “Oh! S-sorry” ChunAe said while blushing ently. YoungWoon just chuckled. It was then they reached the printing shop.

                They got their USB in line for printing. YoungWoon was right... it was the rush hour. It might take them hours before they got their output. They wait patiently for their output while exchanging things about themselves.

                “... so it’s just you and your sister living in your house?” YoungWoon asked.

                “Neh, my parents are always out of town” ChunAe said. “How about you?”

                “Ah, I moved out of my parent’s house, I live in a dorm not too far from here” YoungWoon said.

                “ChinJa? But... why did you move out?” ChunAe asked.

                “Because I was casted, I am a trainee under SM. I live with the other trainees” YoungWoon said.

                “Ahh I see” ChunAe said. “So... when’s your debut?”

                “Molla” YoungWoon said. “I’m still not sure if it will really come, I’ve been under training for more than 5 years” YoungWoon said with a tint of sadness in his voice.

                ChunAe looked at him closely, his head was drooped and has this hopelessness in his expression. To tell the truth, she was not sure what to say to this... It would be terrible if their debut didn’t really come... it must really hurt to wait for nothing.

                As if on cue, their printouts were ready and they have to pay on the counter. ChunAe realized that she forgotten her attaché case for the printouts. Then... it rained.

                “Aigoooo!!! Aish Chinja!” ChunAe huffed exasperatingly. YoungWoon chuckled softly and pats her head.

                “You can put it inside my school bag” YoungWoon said raising his briefcase-like bag. ChunAe gladly placed the printouts carefully inside. It continued to rain...

                Grrrrooooooowwwllll

                ChunAe was distracted from her reverie and looked at YoungWoon who was holding his stomach.

                “Errr... we should get something to eat” ChunAe said and YoungWoon smiled widely.

                “Arasso!!!” YoungWoon then pulled her towards a certain place.

                It was a kembap shop...