The Past

My Princess... Park Chorong

Sunhi’s Pov

            I remember playing in the kingdoms garden when I was a kid, I wasn’t supposed to since I  my family was very poor. I heard noises and ran but the guards found me, “let me go!” I shouted at the tall man. “Watch your mouth kid” the tall man slapped my mouth. I could feel the tears ready to flow from my eyes. Just before I was about to get another beating  there was a voice that shouted, “Stop!”. There was a girl about the age of 16 wearing a white dress. “Princess” the two men bowed. “don’t you know how to be polite?” the guard threw me on the floor. I tried so hard  to not cry but the bruises on my arms didn’t help. “you may go now” the Princess bowed to the guards. “but princess-“ “I will handle this on my own” she shooed them away.

            “are you going to throw me in the cellar?” I asked and she laughed at me. I could tell she meant no harm to me just by her smile. “You are a cute little girl what is your name?” The Princess asked me. “Sunhi… Ku Sunhi” I replied quickly. “where are your parents little Sunhi?” She kneeled down to my height. “i…. I don’t have parents” I looked away, my parents died in the war long ago leaving me with my mean aunt. “oh I’m sorry, may I ask you for their names?” She asked nicely. “my father was a guard his name, Ku Jaeseop, and my mother was the queens maid her name, Jung Minhi” I answered.  “Oh I see, why are you with  your aunt?” she asked. “my only family left…. Or that’s what I think…” I hid my scars from the princess.

            “Does she do harm to you?” The princess found a bruise on my cheek. “….no I just get injured by falling” I lied.  “you’re a cute little girl I hope to see you here sometimes” she left me with a smile. “…. What am I going to tell auntie?” I looked at the sky, the sun was already setting. I ran back home and heard loud crashes. “Auntie! I’m home!” I shouted but that earned me a smack in the face. “you little brat! Why did you come home late! You have things to do!” Auntie yelled hitting me with a bottle.  “I’m sorry Auntie I’ll do it right now” I bowed and left to do chores.

            (Next day at the garden)

            “Why are you here again!” the tall man picked me up. “To meet the princess” I answered. “There is no need for you to come” the man dropped me on the ground. “Ow~…” I rubbed my once I got up. “Guards!” I heard a familiar voice and the guards froze. “Yes princess?” they bowed. “Leave this child alone she if my friend” the princess shooed them away again. “are you okay? Did they hurt you?” she asked looking at my arms. “I’m fine they just threw me on the ground” I smiled. “hey you have a new cut on your face, who did it to you?” Princess asked. “I accidentally cut myself on the way here” I lied to her again. “Little Sunhi you can’t keep lying to me I know your aunt did this to you” Princess brought me to her room and cleaned my cut. “I’m sorry princess but Auntie is my only family I can’t just tell on her like that” I bowed to her. “I must go before Auntie  gets mad, bye Princess”.

            (Next day)

            “Auntie please~” I cried in pain. “Little brat! If I had known you’d be out at the kingdom I’d kill you weeks ago!” Auntie smashed a bottle against the wall. “Auntie I won’t go back anymore please Auntie” I ran from her, my feet took me to a familiar place, the garden. “Hi little Sunhi… what’s wrong?” Princess asked hearing her guards scream. “No!” I shouted, “Auntie please don’t! it’s not their fault father died!”. “What’s going on?” Princess went to go look. “No! Princess!” I yelled. “What is going on here?... what happened!” she yelled seeing her guards lie on the floor with no response. She was a statue frozen in place, not able to move at all. “Auntie!!!” I shouted picking up the guard’s sword.

            Before I knew it the sword had stricken the person in front of me, my Auntie. “I’m sorry Auntie… I’m sorry, I can’t let you take my friend away from me” I took the sword out of her side. “Why Sunhi? I took care of you I raised you!!” she shouted and fell over. “What happened here!!” the King and Queen shouted seeing their men dead on the floor. “Little Sunhi saved me father” Princess looked over at me. “This little girl?” The King was amazed. “We should have you be our daughters guard” The queen smiled at me, “I knew your mother and father”.