Chapter 17: Happy Birthday

Child's Play

Dedicated to CEO Hong Seung Seong of Cube entertainment


 



 

“Wow. This is quite a line up.” CEO Hong spoke, looking over the list of artists compiled by G.Na and the 4minute and BtoB leaders. “Bigbang, Sistar, Kara, Mblaq, B.A.P, hmm, why is only Lee Hongki on the list.”

“Hongki called me when he heard about this event.” Eunkwang spoke up. “He said he wanted to MC the event since he’s good friends with Junhyung.”

“Fair enough.” Hong continued. “Dalmatian, Cnblue, T-ara and VIXX.  With your performances we’ll have at least 13 performances.”

“I think that’s more than enough,” Joonkun said with a bit of a cocky smirk.

CEO Hong sighed. “Alright. Have you booked MNET?”

“Sure did,” Joonkun smiled. “The show’s set to air the 23rd. Plenty of time to choose songs and practice. In the meantime, I’ll contact the boys’ families and put together tribute videos for each of them.”

“That’ll surely bring them back.” Jihyun cheered.

“Since you’re organizing the events, you get 1st choice of Beast songs. Have you guys made your choices yet?”

“Well, obviously I’ll perform ‘Troublemaker.” Hyuna spoke. “But, I’ve decided to pair with Jihoon-ah. He’s out practicing now. It’ll also get him a lot of publicity.”

“Good idea, Hyuna.” CEO Hong nodded.

“And the rest of 4minute have decided on Fiction,” Jihyun continued.

“I’ll be doing a solo rendition of ‘On Rainy Days.” G.Na nodded earning a smile from Joonkun.

“Alright. And what about Btob?” CEO Hong asked, turning to Eunkwang.

“Our group decided on ‘Beautiful Night.’ It’s fun and the boys already know half of the steps.”

“You do realize, you’ll more than likely go last with that choice. That’s a lot of pressure, you know.”

“I know,” Eunkwang nodded. “We can handle it.”

“Alright.” CEO Hong smiled. “I’ll arrange for the Prepix members to help you all with Beast’s choreography, while Joonkun, here, will meet with the other artists and find out their song choices.”

Joonkun sighed. “Alright. Good luck everyone.” He grabbed the list as well as his phone, exiting the meeting room.

“Alright guys,” Jihyun turned to the other entertainers. “Let’s do our best to bring back Beast. Let’s make this the best tribute performance ever.”

“Right!” the other three agreed, raising their fists in the air and exiting the meeting room.

CEO Hong sighed, laying his head on the table. “I wonder if the other entertainment CEOs deal with this.” He then smiled, before leaning back in his chair and staring at the ceiling. At least these kids care about each other.




 

Peniel held his head, sitting at the table of Beast’s dorm while the boys sat in front of the Tv, sewing together their costumes for their birthday party performance. Sungjae walked over to Peniel, handing his hyung a cup of herbal tea.  “Here, hyung. This should help you feel better.”

Peniel nodded taking a sip of the tea and wincing at it’s bitterness. “Yuck.”

Sungjae chuckled before sitting across from his hyung at the table and lowering his voice to a near whisper. “So what do we tell them, Hyung, that they’re running out of time?”

“I can’t tell them that.” Peniel also spoke in a low tone. “It’ll really upset them to know they could be losing their contracts.”

“But you have to tell them at some point. They’re selecting the broadcast date tonight.”

“We’ll find the gypsy before then. We’ll search day and night for that woman. We have to. I can’t let the boys know that everything they’ve worked for could be coming to an end. I can’t break their spirits, especially at a time like this. I mean, look at them.”

Sungjae glanced over at the happy boys, eagerly putting together their outfits for their impromptu park concert, within the following days.

“Ow... Ow... Ow!” Kikwang repeatedly poked himself with his needle as he carefully watched his stitching. Junhyung sat at the sewing machine on the coffee table while the rest were sewing and cutting their outfits by hand.

Dongwoon stood up and walked over to the two caretakers, a smile plastered on his face. “Appa. Samchon. We’re out of dark gray thread again.”

“What?” Peniel eyed the boy. I just bought you some this morning.”

Dongwoon pointed across the room where Sungjae and Peniel directed their attention to Yoseob, tangled in thread with Saja.

“How the hell did that happen?” Sungjae asked, running over to rescue Yoseob, all the while being scratched by Saja.”  

“Can’t you just use light gray?”

Dongwoon gave Peniel his soft puppy eyes and Peniel sighed in surrender. “Right. I’ll go get some.” Peniel stood walking to the door. Growing down has only improved these boy’s aegyo. He thought, slipping on his shoes. He took one more look at the boys before sighing heavily. I’ll get you back to normal before that broadcast. He turned away placing his hand on the doorknob. Whether I want to or not.

 

 

Saturday arrived and the park was abuzz with children of all ages. While the many elementary school kids had taken to the playground, playing various children’s party games, the few teenagers that had arrived were mingling with Hye Su’s older sister. Peniel, and half of the boys were busy setting up a makeshift stage out of cinder blocks and a flat wooden board, while Sungjae and the other three put together a sound and microphone system. Hye Su’s sister eyed them disappointedly before walking over to her younger sibling.

“Hye Su. How could you do this? This is gonna be so embarrasing.”

“Unnie,” Hye Su smiled. “I promise. These guys are really good. Their the kingkas of my school.”

“Elementary school, Hye Su. There’s no way a bunch of first graders-”

“Actually, only Dongwoon’s in the first grade with me. The others are in 2nd and 3rd grade.”

“Whatever! There is no way a bunch of... Dongwoon?” She shook her head, continuing. “There is no way a bunch of elementary school kids can perform like you said they can. I’m ruined. My party is ruined.”

“Get ahold of yourself, Jin Ae!” Hye Su yelled. “ Dongwoon promised me, it’d be just like if Beast performed. And they were nice enough to set up their own stage. I say, just have fun.”

Jin Ae crossed her arms, nervously, looking down at her smiling sister. This better be worth it.

 

 

Peniel kept his head covered with his hoodie as he secured the board onto the cinder blocks. “There. That should hold.”

“Awesome, Appa,” Yoseob cheered.

“We’re gonna go change.” Hyunseung spoke up, and the three boys in Peniel’s care ran off toward their van.

Peniel sighed as the other three boys ran from aside Sungjae. He smiled as Sungjae stood atop the stage, doing a mic test.

“Nice stage you have here.”

Peniel spun around to see the birthday girls’ mother. “Oh. Hello ma’am.”

“You’re awfully young to be guardian of such a large group.”

“Oh...um...” He looked away thinking of an excuse. “I-I’m their older brother. Sorta... they were adopted into my family.”

“Fair enough.” The lady answered. “Why do they call you appa?”

“Oh. That... um... It’s kinda a joke they have to mess with me.”

“Ok. So, Hye Su says they’re really talented.”

Peniel smiled, staring at the van. “More than you could ever know.”

 

 

Jin Ae stood nervously as her party guests began to arrive. It was mid afternoon and the ratio of high schoolers to elementary schoolers had grown much higher. Jin Ae was really excited to see all her friends and classmates arriving, but at the same time, felt nervous with them witnessing what was sure to be terrible entertainment.

“Jin Ae!” Jin Ae spun around to see her best friend, Kwang Ho running up to her. “Jin Ae! There you are.” He smiled, holding out a teddy bear. “Happy Birthday.”

Jin Ae smiled looking at the bear and her friend’s nervous face. “Thanks Kwang Ho.”

Kwang Ho nodded before turning toward the stage. “Hey, what’s going on? Is Min ho performing after all?”

Jin Ae’s smile faded, looking up at her friend. “No. He still has strep throat. No... this is a group my sister booked.”

“Your sister?”

“Yeah,” Jin Ae sighed. “They’re these kids from her elementary school. Hye Su says they're just like Beast... but I don’t know.”

Kwang Ho nodded. “Well they certainly look the part.”

Jin Ae turned her head to see six, charismatic elementary school students walking up onto the stage in matching gray blazers, each worn in their own, individual style, as well as gray pants and graphic t-shirts, of varying styles, hidden underneath.

Sungjae stood on the side of the stage, running the music and sound system while each of the boys stood on stage, adjusting their microphones,  some with headset mics while the others used handhelds. Peniel, stood on the side of the stage with a video camera to record the entire show. As the music began, Jin Ae had to admit, they did seem professional for their age.

 

Yeah don’t be scared baby. Atom bomb is coming!” Junhyung spoke, smirking to the audience through his dark sunglasses.

“♪Oh oh oh. Oh oh oh. Oh oh oh♪” The boys began their performance with ‘Special’ and showed their simple yet masterful choreography. Even though it’d been awhile since they last performed the song live they never lost their touch.

“♪Nan eonjena kkalkkeumhan fashion ni mam-eul salojab-eul motion

neocheoleom bichnaneun my eyes♪”

 

“♪I got so much luv luv♪”  Hyunseung and Dongwoon began the song, both acting as though they were still adults. The younger kids were screaming for the boys and even some of the high school students were already being won over. Jin Ae crossed her arms, silently watching the elementary school boys perfectly performing one of her favorite Beast songs, but she had yet to be convinced that these children were as amazing as her baby sister made them out to be.

 

“♪naega neoui special special special guy uwo-eo♪”

“♪neon namanbogo ttalawa♪”  Kikwang gave the audience his signature eye-smile causing several girls in the audience to melt, including a couple of high school girls.


♪Uliui feeling  feeling~ neoneun burning burning~ naege coming coming~ yo every time I special. Jamkkanman waiting waiting~ neoneun panic panic~ naege crazy crazy yo every time I special.♪

 

 

Jin Ae remained unconvinced until the end. As much as she’d hate to admit, ‘Special’ was a bit of a simple song and even though they performed it perfectly, she wasn’t ready to accept the children were as good as Beast.

“That was pretty good.” Kwang ho smiled at Jin Ae.

“I guess.” Jin Ae nodded. “But Min ho would’ve been better?”

“Would he?”  Kwang ho queried as the next song started.

Doojoon stepped forward as the boys changed formation Jin Ae looked back at the stage, her expression lightening, hearing the beginning of another one of her favorite songs.

 

“♪Ajik nan neol itji mothago, Modeun geol da mitji mothago, Ireohke neol bonaeji mothago oneuldo♪”

“♪Dashi mandeuleo bolke uri iyagi kkeut naji anhge aju ginagin. Salgacheul pago seumyeodeuneun sangshilgameun jamshi mudeodulke♪” Junhyung stepped forward with his powerful rap, as the others started their choreography. Jin Ae turned to Kwang Ho noticing him getting into the music. She uncrossed her arms and turned back to the stage.

“♪Amureohji anhge nege kiseu hago. Dalkomhan neoui gyeoteul ddeonagajil mothae♪” Without warning, Jin Ae noticed how the crowd of party guests started singing along with Kikwang. Within moments, she saw both her sister and Kwang Ho sang along as well. She didn’t even know he liked Beast.

“♪Ireohke nan ddo♪”

“♪Fiction in Fiction♪”

“♪Itji mothago♪”

“♪Fiction in Fiction♪”

Hearing the audience reactions were bringing the boys into their own little world. They imagined standing on stage for thousands of screaming fans. They remembered their idol days and how good it felt, performing to the b2uties, screaming their names. Admittedly the, nostalgic feeling did make them a bit forlorn. They longed for their old lives but made it their mission not to let their feelings get in the way of giving Hye Su and Jin Ae the best birthday performance of their lives.

“♪Dashi hanbeon deo malhajiman. Jigeum neoneun nae yeop-e ittdago geureohke mitgo isseo nan♪” Yoseob put all his passion into his line. His heart was breaking slightly, remembering all the times he performed the song on stage. Somehow, he felt as though he’d never get the chance to sing like this again. As though, his time was running out. He listened to his bandmates perform their parts before looking out at Peniel and Sungjae and trying to figure out the cause of his bad feeling. He decided to ignore it, watching the small audience really getting into the show, and even smiled as more children and adults were gathering from all around the park, completely unaware that the performance they were seeing was an authentic Beast concert.

 

The crowd applauded and cheered at the end of the song, and Jin Ae looked around to see the growing crowd. Just how many people did Hye Su invite?

“Told you they were good.” Hye Su smiled up at her sister.

Jin Ae simply nodded. She couldn’t believe her eyes. She really felt as though she was at a Beast concert. She shook off the bit of intimidation she was feeling pulling herself back to the realization that the kids on stage were just kids. Just a miniature imitation.

 

The boys stripped off their blazers for the third number, revealing their individually colored graphic t-shirts. Hyunseung slipped on a fedora he had set aside, near the back of the stage and Yoseob grabbed a baseball cap and placed it on, sideways.

They quickly but smoothly moved into position, segwaying into their first dance step, as Dongwoon, Kikwang and Junhyung each leaned back supported by Yoseob, Doojoon and Hyunseung before moving back up into an upright stand.

 

“♪Achim il-sibuteo nuntteujamaja ireona, Chingu mannaseo yaegi jom haesseo♪” Hyunseung began the song, showing off his powerful dance moves while the others backed him up. “♪Geurigo, Naseo jaju gadeon goseseo bap jom meokgo nawasseo. Yeoja malgo duri dujunirang duri♪”

Dongwoon sang next, gaining a spark of excitement Jin Ae. She had never reacted that way to a boy, especially one so young. Jin Ae could admit that Dongwoon was her Beast bias, and this child was an amazing imitation, but just what was it about this child that grabbed her attention. Was he so much like her Beast bias that her heart couldn’t tell the difference.

“♪naega aniya jeongmal aniya geu aen naega aniya. Myeot beoneul malhaejwoya dwae naega aniya♪” Yoseob sang, earning Jin Ae’s attention for a brief moment.

“♪naega aniya jeongmal aniya geu aen naega aniya♪” Dongwoon again. Jin Ae ruffled her hands through her hair. What was it about her sister’s classmate that drove her insane. Why were all these boys so much like the real thing. There was something about them that Jin Ae couldn’t put her finger on.

 

“♪...Imneun Styleeul jom bakkwoyagesseo~ Nune jal an ttuineun Blacki jokesseo~ Ibeon. jumaren eum swineun ge joketji. Na eobsido tteugeopgetji bultaneun Friday♪” Junhyung ended his charismatic rap and Yoseob performed his cool yet energetic solo dance, earning cheers from the audience. Even Jin Ae couldn’t help applauding after their third song. She felt entranced by the boys, despite their age.

So Beast! Annyeonghaseyo, Beast imnida!” The six boys all said in unison, earning multiple cheers from the audience. Jin Ae stared up at the stage in a bit of awe and confusion. Did they really just introduce themselves as...

“Before we move on to our final number,” The black-haired leader interrupted Jin Ae’s thoughts. “We’d like to say a special happy birthday to the birthday girls today.”

Hye Su yanked on Jin Ae’s arm, pulling her toward the smiling boys on stage. Jin Ae tucked her head down, nervously as she approached the side of the stage, as though her idols were acknowledging her in person.

“Hye Su. Jin Ae. Happy birthday to you both. May you have the best of birthdays with many more to come.” Doojoon spoke to the two of them earning applause from the audience.

“Happy Birthday,” the Beast boys said in unison, earning an excited laugh from Hye Su and a slight blush from Jin Ae. She shook her head, trying to snap back to her senses as the music for the final song began.”

 

“♪Beautiful my girl♪”

“♪My beautiful my girl and I♪” Junhyung began, smiling out at the audience. “♪Haha girl, This is my confession. Drop that beat.♪”

“♪Oh listen to my heart, Nae mam deul-eobwa bwa, Eotteon mallodo neoleul, Pyohyeonhal su eobsjiman.♪” Doojoon sang, leading into Kikwang.

“♪Geunyang nae stlyero, Nae mam deullyeojulge, Oh listen listen listen girl.♪”

“♪ Nothing better than you♪”

“♪Sesangul da-jwodo♪” Yoseob and Dongwoon sung, each smiling out on the audience.

“♪You you you you♪”

“♪ Neowa bakkujin mothae♪”

The six children performed their last song with huge smiles on their faces exciting the audience. How could they not be smiling, performing one of their favorite closing numbers.

♪So beautiful my girl, Oh oh girl, oh oh girl, Sigan-i jinado, Nuguboda naega deo deo deo, Neoreul akkyeojulge my girl, Modu da julge neo♪”

“You”

“♪Neoege♪”

“You”

“♪eege oh oh♪”

“♪Niga eodi issdeun dallyeo gal su isseo, I always think about you♪”

“♪Jigeumboda naega deo deo deo, Nuhreul saranghalge my girl,You you you my girl, ♪”

 

Practically the entire audience was singing along. The teens who knew the choreography, danced along with the boys while others simply danced to their own rhythm. Jin Ae couldn’t stop smiling. Her absolute favorite Beast song performed with such fun. Such passion it was unbelievable. For a second, when Jin Ae looked up at the stage, she saw, not the children from her sister’s school, but her idols, Beast, performing just for her. She rubbed her eyes in disbelief, but at the same time smiled. She never knew she could feel so happy.

 

“You”

“♪Oh beautiful♪”

“You”

“♪So beautiful♪”

“You”

“♪My beautiful, Nothing better than you,♪”

“Oh beautiful”

“♪You♪”

“So beautiful”

“♪You♪”

“My beautiful”

“♪Nothing better than you.♪”

 

The boys bowed earning a huge roar of applause from their audience. As they exited the stage the uninvited guests returned to their own activities while teens and children ran to congratulate the birthday girls. The Beast boys ran over to their Appa and Samchon who promptly handed each of them a bottle of water a gave them each a hug.

Sungjae continued to play music over the sound system for the guests as the two BtoB members congratulated young Beast on a job well done.

“Dongwoonie!” Hye Su ran over, hugging Dongwoon from behind. “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you so much!”

“Oh um... no problem Hye Su.” Dongwoon blushed and the other members stifled a chuckle. He then remembered he was supposed to act like a six year old and gently pushed Hye Su off of him. “Ew. What are you doing. Gross. Now I have cooties.~”

This comment caused a huge roar of laughter from not only the other members but the two caretakers as well. Dongwoon rolled his eyes and Hye Su giggled. “You’re such a child, Dongwoon.”

“Kids! Cake time!” Hye Su ran off with the other kids from her class toward the sound of her mothers voice as the members of Beast remained near the stage, drinking their water.

“Should we get cake too?” Yoseob asked, bouncing on his heels.

“I don’t see why not.” Doojoon answered and Yoseob cheered internally.

“I think Hye Su likes you.” Junhyung nudged Dongwoon in the side.

The maknae pushed the rapper away. “Stop it Hyung. I’m six, and girls are icky.”

“Ha. Sure they are,” Junhyung kept teasing the boy, causing Dongwoon to get riled up. He tackled Junhyung to the ground and started tickling him.

“Hey! Hey! Woonie, cut that out!” Junhyung yelled between laughter. “You’re not allowed to treat your hyung like that.”

“DOGPILE.” Kikwang shouted, jumping atop the two boys on the ground, Hyunseung and Doojoon soon joined in.

“Yah! Get off! You’re too heavy!” Junhyung yelled, earning laughter from the other members. Yoseob decided to jump on top after getting his mind off the sugary cake awaiting on the other side of the playground. Peniel busily held Sungjae back from jumping on the top of the pile and crushing the boys as they all shared a big laugh.

“Excuse me. Am I interrupting?” The boys all turned toward Jin Ae as she approached, a bit hesitantly. They instantly removed themselves from atop Junhyung and dusted themselves off.

“Nah it’s ok,” Doojoon smiled.

Both Sungjae and Peniel kept their heads turned from the birthday girl to keep from being recognized. “I’mma get this stage taken apart. Come on, Jae.” Peniel pulled Sungjae away so the boys could talk to Jin Ae.

“You guys were amazing.” Jin Ae cheered earning a smile from each of the Beast boys. “I mean, I didn’t believe it when my sister said you were just like Beast, but man, she wasn’t lying. I seriously felt like I was at Beast concert.”

The boys exchanged glances and smirks at each other. Imagine that.

“Thanks.” Doojoon spoke up. “And Happy birthday.”

“No, thank you,” Jin Ae continued. “This was the best gift anyone could’ve given me. Well besides tickets to a real. Beast concert.” She sighed heavily. “But I guess that’ll never happen.”

“Why not?” Yoseob asked. “You might get tickets to a Beast concert someday.”

“Not likely.” Jin Ae admitted. “Especially since there are no more Beast concerts.”

“What do you mean?” Junhyung queried.

“Haven’t you heard? Cube may be dropping Beast from their label because they’ve been missing too long.”

All of the boys’ eyes widened at once. “W-What?” Dongwoon said meekly.

“The Cube artists as well as many others are hosting a tribute concert performance. You know like, Bigbang, Mblaq, 4Minute, Btob. They’re gonna try to make one last call out to Beast but the CEO of Cube says if they don’t return soon, they can kiss their contracts goodbye.”

The six boys stood stunned, unable to comprehend what they were just told. How could they be losing their label? How could the CEO even think about dropping them? How could they have a time limit to returning to normal? And most importantly, HOW COULD PENIEL NOT TELL THEM?!

 

 

 

 



A/N: Who else here wants young Beast to perform at their birthday party. Lol. 

 

But seriously, I have a couple of announcement. 

 

First: CALLING OUT TO ALL CUBE FANS!!

We have some bad news. CEO Hong has been diagnosed with ALS. This is very serious, for it has no know cure and is ultimately fatal. Please read this. (Read)

I, unfortunatly will not be able to participate in this, for various reasons, however, I encourage many cube fans to contribute. 

 

Second: Nearing the End

This story is nearing it's end. Only 4-5 more chapters left. Unfortunatly, updates may no longer come weekly, due to the high volume of work.between school and my job. I apologize but I'll try my hardest to at least update bi-weekly. 


GAME TIME ♪♪ 
 

Way to go, new guesser, michelleishereI love new guessers! WOOO!! 1st honorable mention.

 

Songs for Chapter 16:

Crayon- G-Dragon

 

4 Songs for chapter 17!! Keep on guessing.


BONUS SONG!!!! 

From this point on, each chapter'll have a bonus song at the end. Each Bonus is worth (1) honorable mention. Here are the lyrics for today's song

♪eoneun eobseo jeonguineun eobseo
Don apeda gulbokhaneun sesangiya
Himitneun jaui geuneure
Himeopneun janeun jukneunda♪