STORY 16 CHEAT

Neuron Canvas

STORY 16   CHEAT

 

 

 

 

 

“Sorry.Its not gonna work.” She told me with an emotionless voice. I could feel the boiling anger under her skin. I blinked twice with a questioning face then slowly looked away from her eyes.

 

Warm cup of coffee…

 

Cozy but homey coffee house…

 

Nice ambiance….

 

But with a frustrating companion.

 

A coffee house just outside the village that is owned and managed by a friend. Perfect place spend lazy mornings, lazy afternoons or lazy whatever time of the day.

 

The coffee here sure is nice. We both love it. But I couldn’t taste any of the goodness at this moment. The mocha frappe I ordered today tasted like water. I stared sadly at my cup while my fingers fidled on its body.

 

“Why?....” It was a whispered question of hers. The result to my ears was opposite…. Instead it was defeaning. I remained silent still focused my attention to the cup.

 

“Jess…..” I whispered.

 

“You cheated, Tiff…………” She answered with another whisper.

 

I shook my head in defense and smiled bitterly. I looked at her for a moment then turned my attention to the passing vehicles outside the coffee shop.

 

Here we go again

 

“Why is it so easy to accuse?.......” I started slowly. “And why is it so hard to listen and believe?”

 

Then there was this defeaning silence again.

 

She did not answered for a good couple of seconds. It felt like waiting for eternity. She nibbled on her coffee cup before bringing it up to her lips. I could hear the sound of sip.

 

I copied her.

 

“Is it that hard?” I pushed softly without looking at her beautiful face.

 

“It is………”She answered.

 

I clicked my tongue and my drying lips. I sat straight and faced herwith my elbows resting on the armchair.

 

“Is it?” I smiled and chuckled in mockery. I inhaled deep and released the air in my lungs.

 

She snapped her head towards me.

 

“Let me remind you my dear, in case you forgot, of what a cheater you are.” She told me calmly but filled with sarcasm. My nerves revolted and I could feel the veins on my forehead popping.

 

“Don’t you dare insult m-----“I tried to fight back but verbal joust is one of her forte.

 

“I am insulting you.” A harsh whisper from her.

 

Oh what the …            

 

“What----- ah .” I hissed and looked at the passing cars.

 

I couldn’t understand the situation.I couldn’t understand her. And most of all, I couldn’t understand why I even bother to understand.

 

Ugh…. I don’t even make sense anymore.

 

Damn this…..

 

Damn her…..

 

Damn me.

 

Ugh.

 

“We’ve been through this a lot. Over and over again. Arent you tired?Because I am.” I told her after moments of collecting my thoughts. I looked at her with disappointment then turned my attention back to those vehicles passing by.

 

“I’m tired of your cheating.I’m tired of your lies.” She said with equal disappointment.

 

“……………………………” 54 white cars….or was it 55? I’ve been counting the passing cars since this conversation started.

 

“I’m tired of you being conceited and high.” Another blow.

 

“……………………………………………………………….” 7 orange cars.

 

“I’m tired of your------“

 

“I’m tired of you. Period.” I cut her off before she throws another blow and then the 10th green car passed.

 

“What?.......” The inquiry was soft but the negativity was thick. She tilted her head with her ear greeting me. Her natural small eyes turned into slits.

 

“……………………………………”

 

“What did you say?”

 

“Are you deaf?” I scoffed and sipped my drink again. “If you are tired then why do you keep on doing this? We should stop right at this moment. Right now.”

 

She’s pushing the wrong buttons.

 

“…………………………………..” And its her turn to be speechless.

 

It took a while before she responded. An unsure shake of the head while looking at the floor.

 

“Tsk..” I was answered with a click of tongue.

 

“You want to escape?” There goesagain the sarcasm. Mockery.

 

“Huh?” Jessi’s verbal punch with a heavy syrup mockery glazed with scoff and smirk.

 

This …..

 

“Jessi. Seriously. Ah---- what’s wrong with you?”

 

“This…. What we do… what’s happening between us is not healthy anymore.” Its more tiring than a marathon… even if I havent joined one.

 

I stared at her with sad and tired eyes.

 

“What do you mean?” Her voice softens, genuinely softens.

 

“Lets stop this.”

 

“What?”

 

“You seriously need to clean your ears.” I scoffed.

 

“No!” She pursed her lips hard and stared at me with determination.

 

“Ah-----------“ I don’t even know if I would laugh at her or bang her head on the wooden table after pouring her still warm coffee in her eyeballs.

 

“You’re scaping.You’re running away from your responsibility!”

 

“Is this your way of talking to clarify things? You just brought me here to nag at me and to accuse me of things I didn’t do. Its taking a toll on me, Jessi.”

 

There was a long silence before she decided to speak.

 

“That’s it! I had enough. Cheater!”

 

She screamed at me and stormed out of the coffe shop. The owner of the shop  just shook her head with a knowing smirk. She had seen this episode of me and Jessi several times. Just like a broken record that she could recite the words that came out of Jessi and I.

 

 Now I’m the lone costumer and the owner was shooing me away because its closing time.

 

And  as usual, Jessica will call and text me nonstop until I agreed to play chess with her again in which she always lose.

 

And then the cycle continues like a broken record.

 

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++