Ch. 1- That One Man

The Key to Her Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She tossed and turned. She could hear their voices so clearly now. It was almost as if... they were right next to her.

"You're a disgrace to the family!" 

"Get out of here and never return!" 

"You're banished. Don't you ever dare to contact us or our race again!" 

"Didn't you hear my command?! Leave!" All the voices buzzed incessantly inside her head until they drowned out. 

Solbi sat upright in the middle of the night, gasping for breath. She was a little sweaty as she checked her alarm clock. It was 3am. Crap. She had a photo shoot tomorrow at 7 in the morning and she knew she couldn't go in with these horrible eye bags that were forming right underneath her ocean blue eyes. She stared at herself in the mirror. That was so many years ago. So many years had passed in the human world, but Solbi couldn't help but wonder how short these years would have felt back in the palace. It wasn't her fault. She wondered how her parents were doing. She splashed water on her face and stared at herself once again. 

She saw a beautiful girl, with eyes clear and blue as the ocean, long flowing beach wavy hair tousled naturally, black luminous hair that contrasted her milky white skin, with never-ending legs and a tiny waist. That's right. She took a deep breath. She was no longer that princess she was many years ago. Now, she was known as Soo Solbi. The glamor super model of Korea who had achieved instant success at such a young age. Heh. She was probably older than the rest of them combined together. 

She also remembered that boy. That very night she was banished, she set out to venture on land. There was just no other place that would take her. She had almost reached the shores when she heard the sound of someone gasping for air. It was a boy around her age, and there was a look of loneliness and fragileness in his eyes. It was as if she was somehow looking through a mirror, for his eyes reflected hers. Without even thinking about how she could have been discovered and how she could have destroyed the whole kingdom right there, she reached out and saved him, and brought him back to shore. The boy's heart seemed to be beating strong again. It was somewhat weird. Now that she thought about it, because a human shouldn't have been able to recover that fast. She remembered his face. It looked handsome and dashing even when he had just been washed ashore. Not wanting to be discovered, she quickly changed her form and was about to leave until the boy coughed and grabbed her hand. "Thank you." he managed to whisper hoarsely. His warm brown eyes were beautiful. She was captivated by them, and it was as if he was trying to tell her to stay, but she knew she couldn't get close to the humans. Even then she knew that she was destined to return to the ocean. 

'Oh well. Enough of that. . Kyuhyun's gonna give me such a lecture tomorrow." She thought to herself. She closed her eyes and tried to go to sleep. Soon a wave of calmness washed over her and lulled her to a short but gentle sleep. 

_______________

"DING-DONG!"

"DING-DONG!"

Kyuhyun sighed in frustration as he realized that Solbi was probably still asleep. Dammit. He couldn't have her run late for this photo shoot. It was with Seventeen for goodness sakes, and he, as the manager would probably have to take the blame. He sighed and got out his phone. He rapidly punched in Solbi's number and waited as the phone rang. He could hear her phone ring through her apartment wall. "Yah. Soo Solbi. What the hell are you doing still asleep?" He said in acrimony as soon as the poor girl picked up. 

"Kyu oppa?" she said with a groggy but adorable voice. "It's only 6:30." she groaned. 

"That's Kyuhyun manager-nim to you." he said as he flicked her forehead as she opened the door for him, phone in hand and still in Pajamas. Kyuhyun did a double take at her face. 

"Oh dear lord." he said as he smacked his forehead. Solbi signaled him to close the door lazily with a wave of her hand as she munched on some cereal. 

"What?" she shrugged, stuffing the little cocoa puffs into . They can't expect her not to eat just because she was a model. Models were human too. 

Kyuhyun grabbed a compact mirror and angled it so that he could show her face. "What on earth did you do to your face last night, Solbi?" he said exasperatingly. 

Solbi looked in the mirror. Crap. This is what I get for thinking about the past for so long in the middle of the night. She acted nonchalantly, even though she knew today was a day that could make or break her career. "Makeup can do wonders." she shrugged. In reality, she was freaking out. She looked like a sea monster. 

Kyuhyun sighed. He shouldn't have expected more from her. "You have 10 minutes to grab your stuff, put on some concealer and get ready to go." he said under his breath. 

Solbi rolled her eyes. "As you say, oh bossy manager." she saluted off into her room. 

Kyuhyun ran his hands through his hair. She had been like that recently, but he didn't have the guts to ask her why. Solbi never really let anyone into her life. He knew that. As cheerful and funny and strong willed she may seem to most people, Kyuhyun knew she withheld a heavy past. If you looked at her portfolio, even in her best pictures, you could sometimes see that sad tint in her blue eyes, but that's what drew people in to her. He knew she had secrets. But he also knew that he wasn't the man to discover them and never would be. He had given up on that fantasy long ago. He only hoped now that she would be able to find someone. It's not that his clie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter