Chapter 4: Guilt and Curiosity

Between Us

 

As the sound of the bell ringing and reverberating through the thin air, you could totally hear some simultaneous groans coming from the class 3-1. He was probably the only one who wasn’t affected by the bell at all and just stayed in his seat, a sigh barely escaping his lips. He turned around and passed the papers from his friends at the back to the one sitting in front of him. “Yah, you’re doing it just fine now, are you?” questioned the Busan guy. He just merely grinned and Daehyun scoffed. “I definitely asked the wrong person.”

Kyungsoo could only chuckle at the other’s response.

“Attention,” said Kangin briefly, clearing his throat. When the whole class focused back on him, he continued, “So, I will check your scores later, and please be prepared to take your quiz again, boys.” His students once again let out another protesting complain and the teacher merely shook his head. “That’s why I told you to study hard. Alright, class is dismissed.”

Break time – the class was noisy again and not long, the rest of 3-1 boys made their ways to the cafeteria to have some snacks, except one person, which was Kyungsoo. Chanyeol and Baekhyun asked him to go with them but he politely rejected, saying he wanted some time to be alone. His best friends could only stare at each other unsurely before following the others to the cafeteria. So, here he was, in a more secluded spot of the library, staring unseeingly at the windows.

Honestly, it wasn’t the most comfortable place to be, but because it was quiet during break time, he began to like being there.

He pulled a chair closer to the window before eventually taking a seat on it. He could feel the wind blowing to his direction, the gentle breeze calming him. He glanced at the view outside, at the sky mostly, and he felt a bit of something you could call peace. He then closed his eyes, enjoying the serenity he rarely found.

“A-Are you okay?”

“N-no, well, I mean, I’m okay.” The girl then gazed at the other guy.  “My– my stomach. I don’t know… I– I will go home first, okay?” She was stammering in her words and the two people looked at her worriedly. The guy wearing the casual look took steps closer to her, but instead she walked some steps backwards. “Sehun-ah,” she wheezed under her breath. “I’ll just go home now, alright? You can go home with your friend.”

 “But—” Sehun was confused and flustered too. He looked around him and spotted a familiar figure. Without hesitation, he called his name and sprinted to him. “Peniel-ssi!”

The guy with raven locks was too dazed in the moment. He wanted to get close to her, but her action seemed like she didn’t want to be approached. “G-Get well soon, Yookyung-ah,” was all he could say; he was stuttering as well. The girl bit her lips and looked up at him, her hand still clutching her stomach. “T-thank you… Kyungsoo op- I mean, Kyungsoo-ssi,” answered her in a formal tone.

He blinked his eyes open, staring a random spot for one good minute before sighing heavily.

You can go home with your friend. The way she said and emphasized those last two words, he remembered.

T-thank you… Kyungsoo op- I mean, Kyungsoo-ssi. The way she wanted to call him ‘oppa’ like she used to but she took back her words and instead used honorifics in her speech; no, he didn’t want to remember this.

You played her heart and this is what you got.

Leaning back on his seat as a sigh escaped his lips, this was what he said to himself.

“Well done, really well done, Do Kyungsoo.”

---

“So, how’s your friend now?”

“Hm?”

The shorter of the two looked at his younger friend, fiddling with his fingers. Ever since yesterday, he couldn’t stop thinking about her. It was like a miracle that he could see her again – he was glad, and mad at the same time. Because of what he did, she would always remember him as the bad person and perhaps would never consider second chance to him. Second chance?

Kyungsoo must be insane thinking he deserved such thing – seriously, look at her. She couldn’t even look at him in the eyes.

“So, is she alright now?” asked him again, altering his focus of attention to Sehun.

The one sporting light brown locks merely hummed as a response, his mouth was busy finishing up his ice creams. “Ah, seriously, ice cream here is the best!” exclaimed him cheerfully, wiping the corner of his lips with the tissue.

 “Yah.” He poked him when the other didn’t answer him. “Did you hear me?” The other then turned his head, looking back at him innocently.

“—What?”

Kyungsoo stared at him in disbelief.  “You know what, forget it.”

“Ah, what is it, hyung?” The younger whined. “Tell me.”

He rolled his eyes and eventually said, “It’s your friend from yesterday. Is she okay now?”

“You mean Yookyung?” His ears perked up when her name was mentioned; he nodded almost instantly. “Ah, yes, she’s alright now, hyung.”

“That’s good to hear, then.”

The news immediately put him in a better mood, his lips curved upwards and you could see his signature gummy smile now. At least, she is fine now, he thought to himself.

Sehun was stunned seeing his hyung’s current situation. He was smiling but then he sighed at the next minute. He then gave his hyung a weird look, which Kyungsoo wasn’t aware of. He put his palm on his hyung’s temple and when he did so, it was the older’s turn to shoot him a look – he was questioning what the maknae was doing too. “Well, you’re not having fever…”

Kyungsoo arched one eyebrow. “What was that for again?” queried him.

“Just thought there’s something wrong with you.”

He sent him a glare almost immediately and the other continued, “I mean you’re asking about her – Yookyung.”

“And?”

Kyungsoo was still looking at him with his big and curious eyes, waiting for him to reply.

“Because for a second, I thought you like her.” Sehun’s words trailed off as he glanced at his hyung. “Do you?”

He stayed still in his seat, too startled to respond. He repeated Sehun’s question in his head, and questioned himself with that question. He was unsure and confused too. Do I really like her? Do I really love her? Or is it just guilt am I feeling this whole time?

He was in love with Eunji back then, before and during, even, dating Yookyung. Jung Eunji was Yookyung’s senior in her school. Kyungsoo and his friends were attending a music festival, which was held in Chung-Ang University, as one of the bands performing, and so was Eunji, Yookyung, and their school-mates. He didn’t know how he got close with the girls, especially Eunji, the one whose charms he fell into. It took quite some time for him to realize he loved her.

He had no idea that Eunji had a boyfriend already – Seo Inguk was his name. He was annoyed and jealous when he knew this; he didn’t expect this. He thought she was single and boy, was he just simply full of himself that she thought she had the same feeling like he did. So, a way he tried to find – a way so he could keep seeing her without raising suspicion.

And that was the only idea that crossed his mind. Dating Eunji’s friend… Yookyung as his victim.

He didn’t even want to think back to that time and regret what he had done. Guilt kept coming back to him and he couldn’t even apologize.

“— Hyung? Are you alright?”

Sehun’s voice brought him back to reality and he blinked twice before gazing at the younger. “Sorry, I spaced out— What is it?” He asked with a smile.

“Uh, nothing, hyung.”

The two were engaged in another conversation when Sehun suddenly stopped halfway during talking. Kyungsoo tilted his head, waving his hand in front of his face. “Sehun-ah?” He then followed Sehun’s gaze and found the two subjects Sehun were currently eyeing.

“Hyung, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t that my friend – I mean, Yookyung?”

Kyungsoo nodded. “Yes. Who is she with?”

“It’s Peniel. Remember the guy from yesterday?”

Sehun wasn’t the only one who was startled by the fact Yookyung wasn’t alone. Kyungsoo was, too.

“Is she dating him?” inquired him again. He subconsciously clenched both of his fists tight.

Sehun choked when he heard what the older said, throwing him a look. “No freaking way… Well, not that I know of. But-but, it can’t be!” Sehun shoved his hand to his pocket, fishing his phone out. He dialed a number and brought the phone close to his ear.

“Who are you calling?” Kyungsoo was in a daze again, but followed when Sehun stood up and started to walk, managing quite a distance between themselves and the other pair. “And what are we doing now?”

“Surprising her,” the other replied with a smirk. “Tch, answer, Kyungie. This girl really needs some explanation to do.” He shook his head, as he redialed her number. “It was only yesterday and now they’re going home together? What did I miss?! Ah, Hong Yookyung, seriously…”

“Are you his boyfriend or something?” muttered Kyungsoo. To be honest, he was also curious to death. He felt a bit jealous that he knew she could be close to another guy. Who was he, really? Did she like him? How were she and him at school?

“No, I’m a protective best friend of hers,” He answered simply as he quickened his walking pace to a half-running mode. “You know why I’m like this?” He didn’t even wait for his hyung to reply, however he continued. “Because she said there was someone, a sick guy that broke her heart before. She didn’t want to tell me further about it – she didn’t even tell me his name.”

Kyungsoo felt like there was an electrifying force all over his body that caused him to stop in his tracks.

“I’ll definitely teach him a lesson or two if I know him.”

He swallowed his saliva.

“— Yah, Hong Yookyung,” Sehun said when the girl finally picked up her phone. “Turn around.”

It can’t be me the one he was talking about, right?

 

---

 

n/a:

hello. __ryura is back.

from a long hiatus and lazy mode. also devastated mode after yookyung's leaving. 

do comment on the story and keep subscribing. thank you!

"secret admirer" is already updated too. /sobs

i love you. /shot/ i'm so cheesy ok bye c: