Chapter 1: Remembering

Between Us

 

“I will be expecting you in my room after the school ends, Do Kyungsoo-ssi.”

Kyungsoo tried his best to keep a smile on his face when he heard that. He met the eyes of the homeroom teacher and gave him an understanding nod. “I got it, sunsaengnim,” answered him politely. The teacher soon left the room and the lad couldn’t help to relieve another sigh. He looked down to his notebook and silently cursed himself. Instead of seeing paper full of nicely-written mathematics stuffs, he found doodles and unreadable, jumbled up words. He had been acting strange since a week ago. He changed, unfortunately not for the better. He was still Kyungsoo, yet he was so different. That’s what his friends thought about him.

What’s with him nowadays? He knew well the answer – it was only him who knew. He just didn’t want to tell anyone the reason. He didn’t want to make them worry, adding burden to them by telling his problem. I was just being distracted… by this thing. Unimportant thing. This thing… This feelimg.

“Kyungsoo-yah, are you alright?” asked someone, bringing the boy’s soul back.

Did you know that the most common lie happened when this question was inquired to someone?

Honestly, Kyungsoo lied everyday because of this question.

“Ei, Baekhyun-ah! I’m alright! What are you talking about, seriously?” He responded with a big smile on his face. He even hit his friend’s back playfully, hoping his words were reassuring en0ugh for him – and for himself as well. Trying to answer this kind of question and to fake a smile every single day was getting harder to bear. He might look very convincing the first time but he barely could hide what he had been hiding after some time. His gummy smile never seemed the same – it was superficial and because the smile wasn’t sincere, his friends couldn’t stand it. His big, curious eyes never seemed the same – they’re always blank and staring to spaces. He was like…. Blind.

They say love is blind. Oh baby, you’re so blind.

Maybe he was.

---

“I’m sorry, Kangin sunsaengnim. I promise that kind of thing won’t ever happen again.”

With a sigh, the teacher finally rose from his seat. He patted the other’s shoulders, hoping there wouldn’t be any next time where he would daydream and wouldn’t pay attention to the subject. He was a bright student and had always been at the top position both in academics and art. Kangin was a bit anxious of the way his favorite student was doing nowadays. “Do Kyungsoo-ssi, I highly recommend you to go to the counseling center if something’s bothering your mind these days. I will even volunteer to be your company if you need me,” said Kangin with a smile.

Kyungsoo chuckled softly. “Sure, sunsaengnim.”

“Okay then. You can go back now. Make sure you won’t drop by to the game center or something. You have exam tomorrow, right?”

“Yes, I got it, sunsaengnim.”

Kyungsoo respectfully gave the teacher one last bow before leaving the room. He closed the door after him and found his buddies in front of the teachers’ room. He beamed at the sight of his best friends who chose to wait for him than go home without him. He liked how loyal they were, and he too, to idea of friendship.  How I wish the six of us are together right now, he thought.

Back then, they called themselves as “EXO-K”, a group full of six hormone-raging teenage boys. They lived next to each others and were the best playmates since childhood. As the time passed by, they grew up and became older together. Suho got a full scholarship at a prestigious university in Japan and his younger brother, Kai, decided to go with him and continue his high school there. The remaining four fortunately were still in Korea, even though they weren’t in the same school now. They might be physically apart, but Kyungsoo knew they could never be apart mentally.

 He raised his hand and merely mouthed a ‘hi’. “So, should we go back now?”

“Yes!” Chanyeol hollered, pumping both his fists in the air. “Finally!”

“Are you guys waiting that long?” asked him as he casually threw his arms around Baekhyun’s shoulders.

“More than long,” whined Baekhyun with a slight pout.

Kyungsoo laughed heartily. “Oh, stop complaining like a kid!”

“Sometimes I think he is far worse than Sehun,” Chanyeol suddenly commented, earning a glare from Baekhyun.

“I’m not!”

---

He sat there, in a place where he used to take her. He would go to this place when they were still the so-called ‘lovers’. He remembered their dates were always in this café and those dates weren’t even the proper ones. He took her out only when he had nothing to do and honestly it was never more than two dates in one month. He would say that he was busy with school and choir stuffs to her and would tell her to understand his packed activities. He wouldn’t even pay attention at her but from the corner of his eyes, he noticed how weird her expression and action were; she would look down to her feet, saying she was sorry for not being a good girlfriend. He wouldn’t even take his time to listen to her words.  He wouldn’t even look at her.

He was a fool back then, thinking that how cruel he was, playing with a girl’s heart. Maybe he was still a fool. He looked through the windows, attempting to distract his own mind from that girl. He wasn’t worthy at all to even think about her, moreover to have this feeling growing on him. He didn’t deserve her or her love. No.

Feeling his phone vibrated, Kyungsoo took it out from his jeans pocket. He stared at the phone screen and smiled upon knowing who was trying to call him. It was  ‘Ohmija’.

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Hyung!” Someone from the other line chirped happily.

When he heard the other’s voice full with aegyo, he couldn’t help to let a chuckle escape from his lips. “Yes, Sehun-ah. What is it?”

“Can I go to your house after school, please?”

 “Of course! Why not? I miss my maknae anyway!”

“…”

“Sehun-ah?”

Kyungsoo didn’t notice before but considering from the loud voices of boys and girls in the background, he assumed that Sehun was in his class now. “Sehun-ah?”

“Okay, okay, I got it, Sulli-yah… Wait for a second…. Kyungsoo hyung!  Are you there?”

“Yeah. I called your name twice but you didn’t hear me.”

“Ah, sorry, hyung! We are doing some assignments now.”

“And you’re using your phone during class? Isn’t your teacher around?”

“He went for a meeting earlier, so…”

“Bad Sehun!”

“Hahaha, I know. Okay then, hyung. I’ll call you later, okay?”

He eventually ended the call and brought his phone back to his pocket. He curled his lips into a small smile at the thought of meeting the youngest from “EXO-K” who went to other school, instead of SM Boys High School like him, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol. Even though they went to different schools, they always met up during weekends in one of the boys’ house, spending time by chatting or just playing around with others.

He eyed his watch and realized that the maknae’s classes were going to end soon. He thought it might be nice to pick up that mischievous boy and walk together to his home. He took a last sip of his smoothie before walking out from the small, nice café. He casually strolled his way to the school grounds, knowing the direction well because he often went there. He often went there to see someone. No, that ‘someone’ wasn’t Yookyung. It was the other someone.

He immediately stopped his track.

SOPA… Yookyung went to SOPA, right? She was also Sehun’s friend, right?

He sighed. What if I meet her again?

He was contemplating whether to go or not. Actually, he felt like he shouldn’t. He didn’t want to go because he was afraid to look at her again. He hated to remember how hurt she was, how guilty he was. He couldn’t deny, however, that there was a small part of him wishing to see her beautiful face again, wondering how she was doing after… after he left her.

He sighed again, but it seemed like he already made up his mind.

Do Kyungsoo, with that remaining courage left inside of him, decided to keep going.

---

 

n/a:

okay, this chapter’s ending is a fail lols.

I hope you enjoy, though.

I hope you’ll leave some comments too because…

COMMENTS ARE LOVED <3

See you on the next update~

Ciao! /disappeared like a ninja/