Chapter 3: I Don't Understand

Between Us

 

He immediately stopped at his course.

“Aish.”

Ruffling his raven locks in frustration, inwardly he was also wondering how could he be so forgetful. Turning his back to look at how far he had walked, he eventually growled, “Stupid me.” He was actually contemplating whether to go back or not.

He let out another sigh and eventually decided. “It was an important document, Peniel. Let’s go,” He said to himself, supportingly. Lazily dragging his feet, he began walking to the opposite direction.

Zipping his bag open, he took out a yellow file folder and browsed through those files, looking for some particular documents. He eyed them carefully and eventually found the one he wanted. He then read the capital letters on top of it. "Hong Yookyung.”

There was something about that name. Since her first arrival at school, since her first time introducing herself in front of the class, her name felt familiar to him. He wasn’t sure if he heard it before or if it were just a common name, though. He began saying that name repetitively like a chant, maybe that way he would figure out something. He gave up after some time, nevertheless. He found nothing.

He sighed in relief when he finally spotted the school buildings. “I hope she is still here,” murmured him, quickening his running pace. He saw her heading out the school grounds with Sehun earlier and standing just right in front of the school gate, somehow looked like they were waiting for something. Or maybe someone.

“… What?”

He flinched, a bit surprised with the loud voice. He saw the one he was looking for was still with his bestfriend and apparently, there was another unfamiliar figure. He wasn’t wearing uniform, instead just some casual outfits. Peniel knew he wasn’t his school-mate. He didn’t know which school ended earlier than SOPA. Probably a Hanlim or that all-boys school, he assumed.

“My– my stomach. I don’t know… I– I will go home first, okay?” The girl slightly stuttered.

The unknown guy walked closer to her, but she took few steps backwards. She wasn’t avoiding him, was she? He asked to himself. Then again, it wasn’t his business or problem

“But—”

Peniel was confused. He didn’t know whether it was the right time to interrupt their conversation. Maybe he should just go home and give the paper tomorrow. Just when he was about to leave the scene, someone suddenly shouted,

“… Peniel-ssi!”

He blinked, looking up to find the light brown haired guy was running to his direction. “Sehun-ssi?”

“… Are you heading back?” questioned Sehun casually. The other didn’t even reply yet, but he continued, “C-can you walk Yookyung home? I think she is sick.”

He was in doubt. He glanced at Yookyung who was clutching her stomach tightly. She looked like she was really hurting. And even though he admitted it would be awkward, he wouldn’t be so heartless to just say no to someone obviously needed his help. Gazing back at Sehun, he simply murmured, “… Okay.”

“Really? Great!” As soon as Sehun said that, Peniel hurriedly put back the folder he was holding to his back while Sehun ran to fetch Yookyung, helping her walking to Peniel’s direction. “Come on, Yookyung-ah. Yah, are you having... You know, that thing? You are really pale.”

“T-Thanks. And yeah, I guess so… I’m okay.”

Peniel eyed her and silently agreed at Sehun’s statement. “… Can you even walk?” questioned him in the end. She was anywhere but healthy. Hell, he still didn’t quite understand how painful the stomach cramps, for the girls, during their monthly period and they somehow managed to say they were fine.

“I—”

“… Just let me help, okay? It’s fine,” He said calmly. He looked at her, seeking for permission, in which she merely nodded in agreement. He then brought one of Yookyung’s arms around his shoulders and his free hand was by then holding her waist, trying to support her limp body.

“Okay, then.” Sehun let out a sigh before averting his eyes to Peniel. “Thank you so much. I owe you.”

“It’s okay.” He said to him, reassuringly. Once again he stole a look at her before eventually asking,

“… Shall we go now?”

 

---

 

It was like a déjà vu.

That he found himself walking side by side with her again.

That he found himself in another awkward situation with her again.

Peniel was actually the type who wouldn’t spoke unless needed, or unless he was being spoken to. That was how he was. And Yookyung was the one who talked a lot, indeed a social butterfly, indeed very different from him. He still didn’t understand how she became less quiet just being around him, though. Throughout the walk, she didn’t really say anything too. Instead, she kept grunting, mostly because she was trying to hold on the pain on her stomach. He didn’t know how many times he heard it already.

 “Just a little bit more, okay? We’re almost there.” He began the conversation, thinking he might need to talk first.

“… N-ne,” She merely responded, half-smiling.

Peniel was confused again. He still didn’t quite understand girls and their ways of thinking and behaving. How could they smile so much when they were clearly hurting like this? He sighed, knowing that he could never fully understand them. Never.

“W-Why are you sighing?” She asked unsurely. “Did you regret w-walking me—”

“Yookyung-ssi, please. You have to shake those negative thoughts off of your head.”

“Eh?”

“You heard me.”

“A-ah, yes.                

The two eventually arrived at Yookyung’s residence, which located about two blocks from SOPA. It was a grandeur, white two-storey house with minimalistic design. There was also a little garden outside, full of beautiful, blooming flowers. Indeed a nice place to live.

“We’re here,” announced him as he rang the bell.

He knew this was where she lived, but this was actually his first time visiting it.

The twin doors finally cracked open, revealing a young man sporting dirty blonde locks. His sharp eyes and towering height were very intimidating, causing Peniel to unconsciously gulp. “—Yookyung?” called him worriedly, upon seeing the limp girl.

“She is feeling unwell, Sir,” He formally said.

The other man sighed as he immediately grabbed the girl by the waist and carried the girl, bringing her inside. “... Who told you that you could get in?” asked that man harshly, looking over his shoulders to find Peniel trailing behind him.

And the shorter guy immediately froze in his spot. “Sir, I—”

“What are you talking about, seriously? Stop being so rude, oppa!” complained the girl, which only replied with a scoff by the older brother. “He is just helping me, you know?”

Peniel merely watched as her sibling put her down on the couch in silence, letting her to lie down on it for a while. He then coughed, clearing his throat. “Well... Yookyung-ssi, maybe it’s better for me to go home right now...”

“No, just stay here for a minute, please? I’m going to have someone to get you some juice or snacks…” She then glared at her sibling and continued, “Now would you get Kyuwon for me, Kris oppa?”

Kris rolled his eyes in annoyance but complied anyway.

“… It’s really okay, Yookyung-ssi. You don’t have to,” Peniel answered, shaking his head.

“I just want to say thank you, okay? Please just take a seat—”

“Baby!” A feminine voice suddenly called out.

Peniel was surprised at the sudden appearance of another figure. A woman, who was probably in her middle fifties, appeared out of nowhere and rushed to Yookyung’s side. Once again, he just watched in silence. “Aigoo, my baby, are you okay?”

“Mom, you’re embarrassing me.”

Her mother chuckled softly. Realizing there was Peniel in the room, she weirdly looked at him and then at her daughter. “…And who is this man right here?” asked her, gesturing to Peniel.

“He is my classmate, Mom. Sehun is meeting his friend, so he can’t walk me home. Peniel-ssi, this is my mom. Mom, this is Peniel.

“Peniel?” repeated her, wincing her forehead. Yookyung nodded and Mrs. Hong suddenly stood up, walking closer to take a good look of him. “Peniel? As in Peniel Shin?”

He raised his eyebrow, looking flustered. “... Yes, that’s true, Ma’am.  How did you know my name?”

“Baby, don’t you remember?” The mother  looked at Yookyung before hysterically laughing. “He’s your childhood bestfriend!”

… What?

 

---

 

N/A

Omg I can’t ensure the quality of this chapter

Since it was pretty much rushed OTL 3

It’s been a while since I updated it hahaha

I hope you like the new chapter~

And leave comments too~

Okay?

Follow my twitter? O u O

Keke~ Bye bye~

Ps: I still can’t believe I manage to update all my ongoing fanfics today.