Too Good To Last

Smile

It turns out everything is too good to last. The doctors said three months, but Luhan continues exercising vigorously, and that eventually leads to his downfall. His heart simply can’t take it anymore, and one day, when practicing the new choreography for their comeback he faints. His brothers frantically call an ambulance, and Luhan is taken to the nearest hospital. The fans see, but it is too serious of an issue to hide. The very next day, SM issues an official statement declaring that Luhan is in poor condition and has severe fatigue, which caused him to faint in the practice room.


Luhan awakens in the brightly lit hospital room, in a thin white gown tied gently at the back. He sees Kai sleeping on the chair next to the bed and smiles. Luhan softly ruffles the younger’s hair, but just that action is enough to wake Kai from his slumber. Eyes widen, and Kai jumps up to alert the others that their precious hyung is awake.

When the others enter his private room, Luhan inquires how long he has been asleep. They shiftily glance at each other for a good five minutes, before Luhan’s patience snaps and he growls at them. In the end, it’s timid Tao who says that Luhan’s been in a never-waking trance for three weeks. Luhan pales, and asks what month it is. They point him to the small calendar next to his bed, and his eyes widen in shock at the month. It’s December, and Luhan’s last month to live.


Luhan insists on going home, saying that he’d rather die in the dorms than in his sterile and empty hospital room. At first, the members blatantly refuse, but after much groveling and persuading, they cave. Luhan is moved back into the dorms, and fans’ hearts are put at ease.

But Luhan doesn’t learn his lesson. He stubbornly refuses to stop practicing, and a week later, on Christmas Eve, Luhan feels something different. He feels like he’s floating on air, and that he could do anything and everything. At first, he is delighted and thinks that God has cured him, but his logical half knows better. He is dying, and most likely, he will die today. Brightly, he walks back to the dorm, avoiding the looks of suspicion from his brothers. Luhan tells them that he’ll be napping, and that they should just have dinner without him.


In his room, Luhan roughly writes 11 letters. He sets them down one by one, and dresses in his favorite clothing. He lies down calmly in bed and sleeps, knowing full well that when he closes his eyes, it will be the last time, and that he won’t ever open them again.

It is dinnertime when Sehun peeks in on his favorite hyung. He’s ignored Luhan’s comment about having dinner without him... again. He spies Luhan sleeping and grins happily, but the grin falls when he notices the tiny details about Luhan. How his chest isn’t rising and falling, how his lips curve up in the tiniest smile, how calm and still he is, when he usually kicks around in bed. Sehun then notices the 11 letters lined up nicely on Luhan’s desk, and wails. His cry brings the other members over, but Sehun only ignores them and takes out Luhan’s wish list. With tears falling, he crosses out the final two items on the list.


Luhan’s Wish List:
1. To have EXO win the rookie award.
2. To go somewhere and have fun, just the 12 of them.
3. To put on the best performance possible.
4. To not die in the hospital.
5. To die with a smile.