Three Down, Two To Go

Smile

To Luhan’s great surprise, the very next day, the company announces that EXO has been “enrolled” as a participant in the 5th Mengniu Annual Billboard Music Festival. In a few hours, they are told to pack a few personal belongings, and fly to China, in order to attend the Festival. All this comes suddenly to Luhan, but his brothers respond calmly. While he sits there and gapes, his brothers bustle around the dorm, cleaning and packing. They bundle him up safely (so he doesn’t hurt his heart) and drive to the airport. The whole process moves by amazingly fast, and before he knows it, Luhan’s back in his motherland.

They are given three hours off, mainly because of Luhan’s serious health issues. Luhan doesn’t want to become a burden, and insists on taking his brethren sightseeing. And so, for three hours, under the cover of heavy makeup and disguises, the 12 idols browse the big city, sweating and having fun, just like before they found out about Luhan’s condition. Every so often, his 11 brothers glance at Luhan for a few seconds, to make sure the man is happy. And he is, he is happier than he was at the hospital.

The three hours pass quickly, and EXO has to hurry back to their hotel in order to get dolled up. The boys have their hair and makeup done, and dress in suits. They are driven to the site of the Festival, and as soon as their car drives up, hundreds of fans yell and scream, trying to catch the attention of their precious oppas. Nobody notices how protectively EXO stands in front of Luhan, nobody notices how Luhan looks paler and is even skinnier than before. Nobody notices his dark eye bags, and the small bump from the medicine container that is in his pocket.


They walk the red carpet, and, to everyone’s surprise, win the “Best Dressed Idols of the Year” award. It’s soon time to perform. They are redressed, and now are in costume for a performance. EXO-K supports their brothers in the audience, and before going onstage, all the members take turns pulling Luhan out from the group to ask if he’s sure he can do this. Luhan’s response is always the same, that he can, and will do this today. He will make sure that it’s EXO’s best performance yet.

EXO-M go out and rock the stage. It really is EXO’s best performance ever. It is the performance that secures them the “Best Rookie of the Year” award, as well as two other awards. Lay and Kris, both who have trained for longer periods of time than Luhan, tear up and start crying. Luhan tears too, but his cries are silent, not as visible. Sharp-eyed fans spot it, and smile, commenting on how cute Luhan is. But Luhan cries for a reason different than the other members. He cries, because he’s achieved a small milestone in his short life. He can go to God now, and tell others that he did, that he really did it.


In the interview later that evening, Luhan smiles. He smiles so much that his cheeks hurt. And he laughs, he jokes. The camera it up, but in reality, Luhan is so happy he feels that his heart could burst. He shares this insight with Lay, who immediately reaches for his phone to call the doctor. Luhan laughs at Lay, and tells him that he is joking. Lay relaxes, and the evening continues on a calm, peaceful, and happy note.


For the first time since he’s known about his heart, Luhan falls asleep with a peaceful smile on his face.


Luhan’s Wish List:
1. To have EXO win the rookie award.
2. To go somewhere and have fun, just the 12 of them.
3. To put on the best performance possible.

4. To not die in the hospital.
5. To die with a smile.