Chapter 26

After All This Time

 

 

 

Your POV

 

*Tutt-tuut-tuuuttt*

 

I wincingly opened my eyes and grabbed the alarm clock from the lamp table and turned the snooze off. Gosh, I’m tired. The harvesting we did yesterday is really exhausting and my body is totally worn out. I haven’t got a proper sleep last night because Luwen’s words, her, saying congratulations kept lingering in my head. The electrocution Yifan gave me when he held my hand just added the list of reasons why I can’t manage to sleep. Why did he hold my hand like that anyway?

 

I got up from the bed and rubbed my throbbing head, easing the sore away. I just realized that today is Monday, but I feel so energy drained. I don’t really feel like going to school. I guess this is what they call the Monday sickness.

 

After fixing my bed, I went out of the room and instinctively grabbed a cup of water from the faucet before walking towards the window in the living room to pour my Sagiso plant its daily damp.

 

The cup I was holding almost slipped off my hand when I saw Yifan sitting on the couch with a newspaper on his hands, fully awake.

 

“Yifan? W-Wae are you up s-s-o early-ei?” My words were slurred and seems like my throat is still dry.

 

Yifan looked up to me and greeted me in smiles. Gosh, his smile… My knees feel like wobbling. Not again!

 

He shrugged and went back to reading the newspaper. “I can’t sleep,” he said simply.

 

Aigoo…” I hissed and kneeled on the sofa to pour my plant some water. The other half of the water was used for drinking and bathing my throat. “Why?” I asked and made a small burp.

 

Yifan flipped to another page and said, “I just can’t…”

 

Pouting, I nodded my head. I turned around from facing the window so I can sit properly on the sofa. Yifan groaned when my hand accidentally hit his shoulder, and he immediately clutched his hand on it to massage the pain away.

 

“Omo, I’m sorry. I’m sorry…” I said and placed the cup aside.

 

Yifan bit his lip and nodded. “It’s okay, I’m fine.”

 

“Does it hurt? You must’ve got it from the harvesting yesterday, right? Me too, my legs hurt.”

 

Yifan eyed me and chuckled. “Yeah, I think I got it from the harvesting,” then he paused. He leaned closer and sniffed. “Jaein? Go brush your teeth. Your breath stinks.”

 

I gasped in surprise and smelled my breath too. I squinted when I finally got what he meant. Yup, my breath smells horrible.

 

I backed off, suddenly noticing his outfit. Omo, he’s already clad in his uniform. And his scent, seems like a bathing soap had already landed his skin.

 

“Yifan, you’re done bathing?” He nodded, not taking his eyes off from reading the newspaper.

 

“Yes, I’m done. You should go wash too and eat the breakfast. I cooked them by myself.”

 

I was taken aback. So he’s really been awake the whole time? I dazed at his words as astonishment began to take over my systems.

 

I heard my mother’s loud yawning from the kitchen before she shrieked in surprise. “Omo! Who made the breakfast?!!”

 

“It’s me, auntie!” Yifan yelled, peeking over from reading the newspaper.

 

My mom ran towards the living in loud steps and looked at Yifan in shock—her hair disheveled and still clad in night gown. “Omo, you’re done bathing too? Yifan? You didn’t sleep?”

 

Yifan smirked and nodded. “I can’t sleep, auntie. And, right. Don’t worry about the laundries; I’m done with them too.”

 

Eomma made a loud gasp and chuckled in bewilderment. On the meantime, I was staring at him, eyes goggling and my jaws dropping.

 

-

 

Yifan’s POV

 

Their reaction is really amazing that I see myself laughing. I guess I must’ve shocked them too much.

 

I went back to reading the newspaper in smiles. Well, auntie has been so good to me, so a little chore might be appropriate.

 

Jaein got up from the couch when auntie pulled her hand and dragged her towards the bathroom, telling her she should go take a bath.

 

It may sound unconvincing, but apparently, I really didn’t sleep at all. When we got home after our visit to the Jungs last night, this weird feeling has been creeping my body. And last night, I rejected Luwen’s confession. I didn’t mean to insult her or something, but somehow, I’m glad she was honest. Not that I don’t like her or something, but I think she’s still too young to enter the stage of serious relationship. I don’t mean to offend but I find it unsuitable for girls doing the confessions. Girls should be humble, and they deserved to be treated appropriately.

 

Until now, what I said to Luwen as a reply to her confession is totally unexpected. Maybe I was just trying to make a way in order to decline her, at the same time, not hurting her feelings. Besides, she’s Luhan’s sister. Luhan’s my friend and I don’t want to start turmoil from the good friendship we created.

 

 

“I’m sorry, but I already like someone else…” I whispered to Luwen and inched back, observing the surprised expression on her face.

 

She looked up to me in plea. I even thought she would start crying. But then she asked, “Is she someone I know?”

 

I was literally taken aback at her sudden query. I contemplated of whether I should tell her or not, but the look on her face is really pleasing and the sudden image of this ‘special someone’ flashed my mind. I hope telling it wouldn’t hurt her.

 

I nodded my head.

 

“Who is she?” she asked again.

 

I just felt my heart beating irregularly that I even thought its crawling up to my throat now. My fists were clenching and my toes are curling.

 

Hesitantly, I leaned closer and whispered, half-mindedly. “It’s your Jaein-unnie. Please don’t tell anyone.”

 

 

I shut my eyes close and let out a sigh, as flashbacks from last night’s scene keeps playing in my mind. Have I done right? Is telling Luwen the right thing to do? These were the questions that kept bugging me. And this is the reason why I can’t manage to get a proper sleep.

 

A part of me is happy, but the other part is totally worried. Every time I think about what I said to her, makes me feel troubled. What could be Luwen thinking about it? Did she tell Luhan? I could only hope she didn’t.

 

Why do every time I think of Jaein… her smiling doe eyes, and breathtaking smile… my heart does asymmetrical jerks. Could it be possible that I like her? My friend, Jaein?

 

 

 

I like Jaein?

 

 

 

I like her, yes, as a friend. But beyond friendship, do I really like her?

 

My inner nerves were trembling, not that I kind of think it was creepy, but the feeling is totally unusual. The beating of my heart is totally deafening. These mixed emotions are really confusing. When I intertwined my hands in her, the feeling is really good, but I kind of think it was wrong. The gaps between her fingers made me think that… they belonged to me, fitting mines perfectly.

 

I can’t help but think of them every time. The touch of her small hands in mines still lingers in my skin.

 

Sighing, I looked back from reading the newspaper. My thoughts were still loitering at the last night’s scene. And in the next moment, I feel lost when I completely forgot the line I had left at.

 

I folded the newspaper neatly and let out a small groan, leaning comfortably on the couch. I glanced up the wall clock: two hours to go before the classes starts. I will just have to wait until Jaein finishes her morning routines so we can go to school together.

 

When I shifted on my position, I felt pain shot down my back and shoulders. I was so tired from the activities we did yesterday. The sudden flashbacks from the happy scenes yesterday made me smile subconsciously. The happy stories they shared, feeding each other with foods, Jaein’s smiling face, Mr. Jung’s funny laugh…

 

 

 

Wait. Jaein’s smiling face?

 

 

 

I saw myself smiling when the image of her face flashed my mind again. Why do I keep thinking about her?

 

Is this normal? Or maybe my instincts were right.

 

 

 

That maybe… just maybe… I’m starting to have feelings for Jaein.

 

 


 

 

 

Last update of the week. Sorry for the slow progress guys, I got pretty busy this week. I got 2 trailer requests and my Kpop dongsaengs need my help for their dance cover. I'm also working on my latest one-shot starring D.O for EXO ONESHOT PROJECT. This will be my last chappie this week and I'll try my best to keep up with more chappies next week. My D.O one-shot will be out soon so keep updated.

 

Lastly, don't forget to comment and subscribe if you still hadn't. And right, please help this story upvoted by clicking the arrow before the title. One click and nothing will change, heheh. Thank you and have a pleasant weekend. :)