Bittersweet

Love Song; A Oneshot Collection
chapter two 
bittersweet
 
 
 
 
 
The bittersweet aroma of coffee filled her nose. It was so close to midnight but she was still wide awake. She asked herself several times already, why is she waiting for that man to come? When she honestly thinks, he’ll come home very late again.
 
She took a sip of her hot coffee and placed it back on her side table. She was currently reading her high school diary, she was tearing up. She didn’t actually think that the guy that she actually loved and married will find someone who can be better than her. She doesn’t want to accept the fact but she saw them with her two eyes.
 
Dear diary,
 
I saw this blonde guy at school. And YES! He is sitting beside me. It was so embarrassing to wake up like that in front of him. He seems so cold and arrogant but he’s really handsome and hot!! ^^
 
She smiled at thought of how she first met him.
 
She fell asleep as soon as she reached her school. She was really tired after all the works she had to do for the Student Council.
 
“Ham Eunjung! Ham Eunjung!” Her friend Hyomin shook her slowly.
 
“Hmmm~” She stirred.
 
“PRESIDENT HAM EUNJUNG!” Mr. Lee, their teacher shouted.
 
“OMO!” Eunjung jumped from her seat and caught a glimpse of the blonde guy.
 
‘He’s handsome,’ she thought.
 
“Mr. Kim, you may sit beside Eunjung,” Mr. Lee said. The boy sat beside Eunjung.
 
“Hello, I’m Eunjung,”
 
“I know I’m handsome but you don’t have to introduce your name,”
 
“How conceited,”
 
Eunjung smiled at the thought but soon as her smile faded a tear escaped her eye. She had made this her daily habit, looking through their memories before. Her eyes finally grew heavy and fell asleep. She stirred as she heard their bed room’s door creaked open. Jaejoong finally came in and saw his wife, sleeping soundly. He just got home from his business meeting or should I say a dinner with his mistress.
 
He knew very well that Eunjung knew about him and the girl, Boa, but he never explained nor defended himself because he honestly didn’t like the thought of being forced to marry Eunjung. It was two years ago when their parents actually planned their wedding, he knew Eunjung was happy about it but he wasn’t. It was just last year when his first love, Boa came back from the States. He knew very well that he still loves Boa and doesn’t feel anything for Eunjung. To him, Eunjung was a very good wife and a woman but he can never love her as he loved Boa or so he thought.
 
Jaejoong went near Eunjung and saw her diary on her hands. He wasn’t able to ask Eunjung about it for the past two years since he doesn’t want to grow close to her due to hate. No cross that, he doesn’t hate her but he doesn’t even love her. He’s actually confused of his feelings, who would even knew he could even develop feelings for this lady.
 
For the nth time, Yunho has been telling Jaejoong how Eunjung changed as she married him. She became silent, reserved; she doesn’t even talk about their relationship with Yunho or even Hyomin. You can even say she’s mute but she’s not. She just rarely talks and talks in a small voice. Jaejoong knew, she is starting to grew tired of him and hate him, the moment he waited for came. But truthfully, he doesn’t want to let go of Eunjung. There is something within her that pulls Jaejoong to her. How much he tried to really hate her to the core, he couldn’t just do it. He would smile without noticing it with Eunjung’s cute actions.
 
****
 
The morning came and Jaejoong woke up and saw that Eunjung wasn’t beside him. His heart sunk as he expected that Eunjung will be the one who will wake him up with a breakfast in bed. He decided to go down stairs to see if Eunjung’s at the kitchen but he saw a letter with his pancakes.
 
Dear Jaejoong,
 
I have to go out today. I needed to meet with my friend. I won’t be home all day, so I hope you could just buy your food. You don’t have to wait for me.  I have prepared some pancakes; you can invite some of your friends if you wanted to. I’ll just be the one who’ll clean afterwards.
 
Truly Yours,
 
Eunjung
 
Jaejoong was shocked, since Eunjung never left the house without waiting for him to wake up. Jaejoong decided to eat the pancakes she made. As he was sipping his coffee, Jaejoong heard the door open. He stood up only to see Boa.
 
“Oppa, you texted me that you’re wife isn’t going to be here all day?” Boa’s eyes sparkled with interest.
 
Jaejoong was beyond shocked because he never texted her.
 
‘It’s Eunjung,’ He thought.
 
“Yeobo, should we go out today?” Boa smiled at Jaejoong.
 
“Sure,” Jaejoong forced a smiled.
 
Jaejoong took a bath and fixed himself while Boa was downstairs waiting for him. Jaejoong was done fixing himself and got his phone and realized that Eunjung really used it. The smell of Eunjung’s strawberry hand lotion was left on his phone. He went downstairs and saw Boa looking at their pictures.
 
“Oppa, you don’t really look like you’re happy with her. I think you should divorce so we can be both together legally,” Boa smiled and went to Jaejoong’s car.
 
‘Divorce? Should we really divorce?’ Jaejoong thought.
 
****
 
He drove his car to Gangnam district and decided to stroll with Boa. His mind was all about the divorce Boa thought of. In fact, he is sure Eunjung will agree to everything he says so he decided he will never open up the topic with her. While Jaejoong and Boa were walking around the streets, Jaejoong saw a familiar figure with a tall, non-Korean looking guy.
 
“Oppa, is that Eunjung?” Boa pointed at Eunjung and the guy.
 
Jaejoong could only nod.
 
‘So she met her boyfriend,’ Jaejoong thought.
 
“Oppa, would you want to meet them?” Boa asked.
 
“Do you not know how awkward it will be, Boa?” Jaejoong asked as the tension increases around him as he realized Eunjung and the man were coming out of the store.
 
“Jaejoong-ssi,” Eunjung called out.
 
 Jaejoong saw her wife holding the man’s hand tightly.
 
“Long time no see,” She added. Yes, she might have seen him sleeping but she never had the chance to talk with him not today.
 
“Long time no see, Eunjung-ssi,” Jaejoong said.
 
Boa was confused on the couple acted as if they didn’t know each other. She didn’t realized that the relationship of the two were more like strangers now. Deep inside her, she wanted to explode with happiness.
 
“Eunjungie, won’t you introduce me to your friend?” The man smiled.
 
“Oh, Jaejoong this is Nichkhun, Nichkhun this is Jaejoong,” Eunjung introduced.
 
Nichkhun eyed Jaejoong carefully and Jaejoong did the same. Eunjung felt the tension rising so she decided to break the silence.
 
“I think, we’re all hungry. Should we go to a café? My mother’s café is just a few blocks from here,” She offered.
 
‘Are you crazy? You want your mom to know about us?’ Jaejoong thought.
 
‘If you think, I’m crazy because I would want my mom to know about us? You’re wrong Jaejoong, she was the one who saw you with Boa a year ago,’ Eunjung thought and wanted to slap Jaejoong across the face for bringing Boa to her place.
 
Eunjung walked with Nichkhun while Jaejoong and Boa were right behind them. Nichkhun actually knows about Jaejoong and Eunjung. He’s in fact, Eunjung’s ex boyfriend. They both broke up because of the same reasons that’s why never had an awkward relationship with each other but remained as close friends. He understood the couple’s situation but still hated Jaejoong for not learning or even trying to love Eunjung. If he could snatched Eunjung back from Jaejoong he could’ve done it but he knew Eunjung loved him but hated him for not really caring about her feelings.
 
The group reached the café and was welcomed by their mother.
 
“Eunjung-ah, Jaejoong-ah,” Eunjung’s mother hugged the two of them.
 
“Omma, don’t you remember Khun?” Eunjung said.
 
“Oh, the Thai prince of your former school?” Her mom smiled.
 
“Annyeong,” Nichkhun greeted.
 
“And omma, this is Boa, Jaejoong-ssi’s girlfriend,” Eunjung said.
 
Eunjung’s mom eyed Boa as if her looks can kill Boa. Eunjung slightly tapped her mom’s hand, a sign for her to stop looking at Boa. Eunjung’s mom turned to Nichkhun and Eunjung and smiled.
 
“What do you want?” Her mom asked.
 
“Coffee please,” Eunjung and Jaejoong said in unison.
 
Boa felt out casted since Nichkhun was only talking to Eunjung while Jaejoong was paying attention to them. Jaejoong hated the fact that Eunjung brought him and Boa to her mother’s coffee shop and acting as if they don’t have anything between them.
 
“Here’s your coffees,” Eunjung’s mother said. Her mother sat between Eunjung and Jaejoong.
 
“So how are you my daughter?” Eunjung’s mom asked her.
 
“I’m fine, omma. Still the same as ever.” Eunjung smiled.
 
The sight of Jaejoong and Boa still stabs her heart. Though acting as if she’s not affected must be done. She wanted to show that her world doesn’t only revolve on Jaejoong. She never thought of filing a divorce against Jaejoong to ease her pain but she loves Jaejoong so much that she could sacrifice her happiness for him.
 
“Jaejoong-ah, how are you and Eunjung?” Her mother smiled at him making him very uncomfortable.
 
“We’re both fine,” Jaejoong forced to smile.
 
“How’s your married life? But why are you with another girl and Eunjung is with Nichkhun?” Her expression changed from her oh-so-sweet face to her scary yet emotionless face.
 
“Omma,” Eunjung held her mother’s hand but her mother’s hand shoved Eunjung’s hand away.
 
“Since, I finally came across with you Jaejoong and your mistress. I would like to speak to you about how you treat my daughter, I know you were forced through this marriage but that doesn’t mean you have to look for a girl. If I were you, I should have cancelled the wedding even before the day itself and never married her. You think all the things you’ve gone through can be reasonable enough for you to hurt my daughter,” She was cut off by Eunjung.
 
“Omma,”
 
“Eunjung, shut up. I didn’t raise Eunjung to be just your housewife, Jaejoong. She grew with manners, she’s imperfect but she does everything she can. Out of all the men around the world, I don’t understand why she fell in love with you. There’s Nichkhun, yes, I knew Nichkhun so well that I would even love it, if he was the one my daughter married. But it was you! You useless husband! You and your mistress should rot in hell! FOR HURTING MY BELOVED DAUGHTER, FOR LETTING HER SUFFER WAITING FOR YOU ALL NIGHT AND WAKING UP IN THE MORNING FOR YOUR BREAKFAST. YOU TREATED HER LIKE A MAID JAEJOONG! AND YOU TREATED YOUR MISTRESS AS YOUR QUEEN?! Eunjung never asked anything from you but for you to learn or try to loving her! The next time I see you Jaejoong, you will see divorce papers in front of you signed by my daughter and you will see everything you value so much disappear,” Eunjung’s mother fumed.
 
Eunjung was left there with her head hung low. She never expected her mother to explode like that not in a public place. Fortunately, they are the only persons inside the café. Jaejoong on the other hand felt guilty, he knew it was his entire fault. He wanted to hug Eunjung and tell her he’s sorry but he just can’t.
 
“Let’s go now, Jaejoong,” Boa forcefully dragged Jaejoong away from the café.
 
“Why did you do it omma?” Eunjung asked.
 
“He needs to know everything that’s happening around. He might loss everything he values so much including his father’s company,” Her mother’s face softened.
 
“Omma,”
 
“Eunjung, I’ll bring you home now,” Nichkhun offered.
 
“You better bring her home,” Eunjung’s mom said.
 
****
 
Nichkhun decided to bring her home but Eunjung forced him not to. They went to Han River, Eunjung started crying and made Nichkhun hug her. It wasn’t too long when she finally fell asleep. Jaejoong and Boa walked around, they were both silent. Boa couldn’t keep the atmosphere.
 
“Jaejoong, JUST DIVORCE WITH HER!” She blurted out.
 
“I can’t,”
 
“YOU CAN’T! Do you love her?! ANSWER ME! DO YOU LOVE HAM EUNJUNG?!” She blurted out.
 
Jaejoong was shocked. Does he really love her?
 
“You couldn’t answer me?!” Boa yelled and grabbed Jaejoong’s collar and kissed him. Jaejoong didn’t kiss her back.
 
Jaejoong pushed her away.
 
“I’ll take you home,” Jaejoong said.
 
They were both silent and didn’t attempt to talk. Jaejoong dropped Boa on her apartment and decided to go back to their house.
 
****
 
Eunjung just arrived at their house and realized Jaejoong was not home.
 
‘I think, he’ll come home late again,’ She thought. She was actually sick of waiting for him but she couldn’t stop herself.
 
Eunjung went to the kitchen and decided to make coffee. She heard the front door creaked open and saw Jaejoong. She couldn’t keep calm so she accidentally hit the tea pot and the water splashed on her leg.
 
“AAAAAAAAH!” She yelled.
 
Jaejoong rushed to the kitchen and saw his wife on the floor. He turned off the stove and went to Eunjung.
 
“Are you okay?” Jaejoong asked, sincerity can be seen on his eyes.
 
“I am,” She replied and tried to stand up but ended up falling again.
 
“Let me help you,” Jaejoong offered.
 
“I can do it, Jae,” She said.
 
She tried to stand up again but before she even fell again. Jaejoong carried her bridal style, Eunjung’s heart softened as this was the first time Jaejoong did this to her.
 
“Be careful,” Jaejoong said to her and kissed her forehead.
 
“Jae,” Eunjung tried to talk.
 
“sssh,” Jaejoong hushed.
 
Eunjung just kept quiet. Jaejoong finally realized his feelings, the warmth, the sweetness, it’s the different feeling he feels when he’s with Boa. He becomes happy and his heart beats faster when he’s near Eunjung. He finally realized that he actually has the best wife in the world. He put Eunjung on the bed and got the first aid kit. He kneeled down and applied some ointment on Eunjung’s legs.
 
“Why are you careless?” He asked.
 
“I’m not; I’m just shocked you went home early. Since I don’t see you until the next morning,” She confessed.
 
“Ah,” Jaejoong finished putting ointment on Eunjung.
 
“You should rest,” Jaejoong smiled.
 
‘Ohmygawd! Please don’t smile like that,’ Eunjung felt her cheeks heat up.
 
“Eunjung, are you sick? I’ll go down to make our dinner,” Jaejoong smiled.
 
“You know how to cook?” Eunjung’s eyes grew wide.
 
“Yes,” He winked. Eunjung wanted to melt, yes, literally melt.
 
Jaejoong went downstairs. Eunjung was left alone feeling contented, no matter what happened today, she was happy Jaejoong finally became nice to her. Eunjung couldn’t just stay on her place, she tried to walk and saw her crutches that she used when she hurt her ankle. Eunjung went downstairs and saw Jaejoong on the kitchen. Eunjung saw the vegetables and decided to cut it.
 
“So you’re making tteokboki?” She asked.
 
“Yes and special ramen,” He smiled.
 
“Why is it so simple?” Eunjung pouted.
 
“Okay, I will add bibimbap,” Jaejoong said.
 
He was really happy to cook for Eunjung since he never did it for the past two years. He smiled at the sight of Eunjung chopping the vegetables. They were both a happy couple that was just starting their marriage. He decided than tomorrow he will break up with Boa and confess his love for Eunjung.
 
“Jaejoong-ah, where will I put this?” Eunjung asked as she walked and tripped over Jaejoong. The two fell with Eunjung on top of them. Jaejoong saw Eunjung’s lips and couldn’t get hold of himself and kissed her. It took Eunjung a while to absorb everything that happened. Eunjung got up and went towards the kitchen counter to fix the vegetables. Jaejoong back hugged, Eunjung was shocked by his actions.
 
“Eunjungie,” Jaejoong called her name.
 
“Neh?” Eunjung asked.
 
“Do you still like me?” He asked.
 
“Huh?”
 
“Just answer me,”
 
“I-I,”
 
“Eunjungie, sorry,”
 
“Why?”
 
“For making your life miserable, for hurting you, I never realized how much you mean to me after your mother told me how you suffered,” He hugged her tightly.
 
Eunjung couldn’t speak. She was shocked by Jaejoong’s sudden apology.
 
“I love you,” He said.
 
“Do you love me?”
 
Eunjung just nodded her head in response. Jaejoong is very happy. Eunjung didn’t know how fast she just forgiven Jaejoong but the only thing that matters is that she can feel that he loved her.
 
“Jae, you better finish cooking or you’ll burn everything,” She chuckled.
 
Jaejoong pouted and started cooking again. Eunjung just sat on the chair, eyeing her husband while he’s cooking for the two of them. After Jaejoong finished cooking, he immediately served the food to Eunjung. She smiled at Jaejoong.
 
“Why are you smiling?”
 
“Nothing,”
 
The two ate. Jaejoong kept on feeding Eunjung, the same thing Eunjung does to him. The couple finished eating. While Jaejoong was washing the dishes, Eunjung frowned. She knew this day would not last long. Tomorrow is the day; she’ll be giving Jaejoong the divorce papers. A tear escaped her eye and Jaejoong saw this.
 
“Eunjung, anything wrong?” He asked.
 
“Nothing,” She lied.
 
“I just wanted to sleep,” she added.
 
Jaejoong and Eunjung went to their room.
 
“Saranghae, Eunjungie,”
 
“Nado,”
 
Eunjung fell asleep as Jaejoong was singing a lullaby for her. He kissed her forehead.
 
“I love you,” He said.
 
****
 
The next day, Jaejoong didn’t see Eunjung beside him but instead it was an envelope. He quickly sat up and opened it, just to see the divorce papers.
 
“Eunjung!” He shouted.
 
He immediately sprinted away and looked for Eunjung. He decided to go to her mother’s café.
 
“Omma, is Eunjung here?” He asked, panting.
 
“No. Did she already give you the papers?” She asked.
 
“Where is she?!” He exclaimed.
 
“Watch your tone, Kim Jaejoong and like I said, she’s not here,” Her mom said.
 
Jaejoong walked away sadly. Eunjung got out of her hiding place.
 
“Thank you, omma,” She forced a smile.
 
“Eunjung, I think Jaejoong really values you that much but he couldn’t just prove it to himself,” Her mother said.
 
“Omma,” Eunjung teared up.
 
“I’m the one who forced you to do this, sorry,” She said.
 
“It’s okay. I will go out of the country after 2 years I’ll come back. If I come back and he will still look for me, that’s the sign I will marry him again,” She said.
 
“Take care, Eunjung. Okay, now go or you’ll be late for your flight,” Her mom said.
 
Eunjung went to the airport and headed to Philippines.
 
Jaejoong was still wandering on the streets of Seoul. He went to his car and went home. He sat on the couch only to see a letter.
 
Dear Jaejoongie oppa,
 
This is Eunjungie, I’m sorry if I have to leave. I realized, I would never want to go in between you and Boa. Oppa! I love you, that’s all I can say. Thank you for yesterday, I was happy that you made me feel important.
 
Love,
 
Eunjungie~♥
 
Jaejoong couldn’t stop his tears from falling. He was not given the chance to formally apologize to her. Jaejoong could only punch the wooden table in front of him.
 
“EUNJUNG!” He cried.
 
****
 
Two years later, Eunjung was busy packing her things to go back to Seoul. She was actually nervous, she’s expecting Jaejoong to be waiting for her but she’s unsure if he is.
 
“Unnie,  gwenchanha?” Bomi, her Korean friend asked her.
 
“I’m okay, Bomi-ah,” She smiled. Bomi smiled at her since, Eunjung was the only one she allowed to call her by her Korean name.
 
“Unnie, I can feel it. He’s still waiting for you,” She assured Eunjung.
 
“Thank you for everything, Bomi-ah,” Eunjung hugged her.
 
“No problem. By the time we arrive at Seoul, you should introduce me to Myungsoo,” She chuckled.
 
“Why my former brother-in-law?!” Eunjung tickled Bomi.
 
“Unnie, STOP!” The two started tickling each other.
 
****
 
Jaejoong on the other hand, received her former mother-in-law’s text message, cross that, he never signed the papers. He’s confident that one day, he’s love of his life will be back to his arms again. Two years ago, he actually asked Boa to break up with him. Boa surprisingly agreed as she don’t want to be always going in between Eunjung and him.
 
Before Jaejoong went to the airport, he visited Eunjung’s mom first.
 
“Omma,” He greeted.
 
“Jaejoong,”
 
“Today’s the day right?” He asked.
 
“You better go to the airport now, you should surprise her,”
 
“Neh, Annyeong!” He said and went to the airport.
 
****
 
Eunjung and Bomi’s plane just landed. Eunjung and Bomi wandered around the airport waiting for Nichkhun or Eunjung’s father to fetch them.
 
“Mrs. Kim,” A voice called out.
 
Eunjung turned around only to see Jaejoong. She immediately hugged him and cried.
 
“Stop crying, Mrs. Kim,” Jaejoong smiled.
 
“Sorry,” She quickly wiped her tears.
 
“Saranghae,” He said.
 
“Nado,”
 
“EHEM!” Bomi made a coughing sound.
 
The two looked at her and laughed. Jaejoong kissed Eunjung. Bomi saw it but a hand covered her eyes.
 
“Don’t mind them, by the way I’m Myungsoo,” The guy said.
 
Bomi stared at him. It was like she saw a prince.
 
“I’m Bomi,”
 
****
 
“So you didn’t sign the papers?!” Eunjung exclaimed.
 
“Why would I, if I knew you will come back?” He chuckled.
 
“AIISH! Kim Jaejoong!” Eunjung was about to punch Jaejoong.
 
“What? MRS. KIM,” He laughed and kissed Eunjung.
 
“UNNIE GET A ROOM!” Bomi said as she and Myungsoo were playing chess.
 
****
 
“Mira! Don’t run,” Eunjung warned her daughter.
 
“But Chan Min oppa is chasing me,” Mira shouted.
 
“Chan Min, Mira, behave. We still have to visit, Bomi and Myungsoo since the two of them are in We Got Married of MBC. It will be fun, since the two are fighting like cats and dogs on the show,” Jaejoong said.
 
The kids went to the car first. Before Eunjung and Jaejoong got in, Jaejoong kissed Eunjung.
 
“I love you,” He said.
 
“I love you too,” She replied.
 
“Get a room, mom!” The two kids shouted. The couple just laughed at the two kids.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
___________________________________________________
 
 author's note » ^^