Part 2: Stumbling onto thin ice

약속 (Promise)

 

Part 2: Stumbling onto thin ice

This continued on for a few weeks; Dongwoo visiting Sunggyu at the hospital daily, starting from as short as hour-long visits to what could've been five hours; they weren't too sure, only knowing that Dongwoo would arrive around noon, sometimes with a small tupperware box of sweets his mother had baked, and would leave when the sun began to set.
 
They'd talk about anything and everything, ranging from flowers to food to a simple 'The weather is lovely today'. Well, the talking done mostly on Dongwoo's part. Sunggyu just sat and listened; he wasn't ready to talk yet. No, not just yet.

And when Dongwoo would be gone, Sunggyu would lie awake in the eerie silence of the room, letting memories engulf his whole self, wondering over and over again the reason for his being, the reason he was still here. The thoughts, 'Why didn't they take me when they took mum and dad; when they took noona,' fogging up his mind like storm clouds on a dreary night as he stared out the window only to see nothing but darkness; A darkness that was comparable to the future he once had in mind.


One particular sunny morning, Dongwoo had bounded into the room, a loud, “SUNGGYU YAH~” rolling off his tongue. He had arrived a few hours early, when the sun had just reached the sky; not nearly noon, rather late morning. As usual, a small box of cookies was nestled in his hands.
 
He found his hyung still asleep on the bed, tossing and turning slightly in his sleep. His arm and leg were almost fully healed, and the burns were slowly scarring (nothing a little medicine couldn't help though), but there was still the case of shutting himself off from others. Dongwoo was sure his older friend was suffering from emotional withdrawals, and he wanted to be there for him.
 
Dongwoo placed the cookies on the bedside table and moved to sit at the edge of the bed, hearing small mumbles emitting from the form on the bed. 'No, don't leave me. I don't want to be alone, please.'. Sunggyu's hands began to frantically grab at something, anything, and with Dongwoo right in front of him, his hands made themselves comfortable in the front of his once crisp white shirt, wrinkles forming around his fingers.
 
Dongwoo lay down beside him, wrapping one arm around the frail body beside him, the other tousling the caramel brown tuft of hair before settling on top and getting comfortable. Feeling a drop of liquid fall upon his bare arm, he leaned in closer and threaded his fingers through the soft brown hair, murmuring small, 'It's ok. I won't leave you's.
 
And they stayed like that for another two hours, before Dongwoo removed himself from the bed and left, a cheerful little note on the bedside table with the cookies that awaited Sunggyu's curious eyes once he awoke.
 
When Sunggyu awoke with a rub of his eyes and a small, “Dongwoo...?”, he took notice of the cookies and the small, yellow sticky note beside him. Popping a cookie between his lips, he read the note carefully, a warm fuzzy feeling beginning to pool within him; in his tummy and somewhere in his heart. And even though he was to be alone for the day, he smiled to himself and clutched the note within his palm, silently wishing that tomorrow would approach sooner.
 
 
Hyung, hyung!
I dropped by earlier today, but you seemed to be sleeping.
You seemed a little bit restless and not sleeping too well, so I didn't want to wake you.
Would there be anything you want to talk about?
I'm sorry I couldn't have stayed longer; my mother needed me to help out at her store today.
But don't worry! I'll be back again tomorrow morning, so wait for me! We can talk then :)
– Signing off with love, Dongwoo!!
♥ ^o^

 

Sunggyu had decided on one thing that night; he was going to break out of his shell. He would up his fears and be a man. He would be the one doing the talking tomorrow, because he realised that maybe, just maybe, Dongwoo was the who could fill that lonely void within him. And that alone was enough hope for him to try and fight his internal battles; the thought that he was no longer alone.
 
 
****************

I'm sorreeeh D; I'm a failure at writing LOL Chapter 3 should be up tomorrow!