Part 3: Light within the darkness

약속 (Promise)
Part 3: Light within the darkness
 
Morning rolled around, and soon the sun had reached its highest point in the sky. Sunggyu sat by the window, fidgeting nervously with the small note between his fingers as he waited for the appearance of his friend.
 
So when the door slammed opened, and he startled with a jump and dropped the note, he quickly turned around to spot a gummy-smiled Dongwoo by the doorway, a single sunflower clutched in his grasp.

“Dongwoo,” Sunggyu heaved almost silently. “Oh, Dongwoo.”
 
He stood up slowly as Dongwoo made his way over, smile growing larger and larger with each step.
 
Gyu, you're finally talking to me.” He placed the sunflower on the windowsill and pushed Sunggyu back down onto the chair, before pulling up a second one to face the elder. “How were the-”
 
Dongwoo, I think I want to tell you something.” Sunggyu cut him off in a bit of a strangled whisper. He hadn't used his voice for some time now, and perhaps his body was not prepared for the sudden use of the chords.
 
Dongwoo paused mid-sentence, he could sense that Sunggyu wanted to speak; to finally speak. Dongwoo had waited almost two months to hear from those lips.
 
Silence engulfed the two as Dongwoo waited for the older to speak, his even breathing mixing with the shallow breaths just in front of him.

“I was... I was the youngest in my family, so I was always showered with attention...” a long pause filled with heavy breathing. “My mum and dad have always been pretty supportive of whatever I decided to do, and my sister was one of the best siblings I could ever ask for...” Dongwoo grabbed hold of Sunggyu's hand in his own.

“Sure we fought sometimes, but she was always there whenever I just needed someone to talk to or to be around...” He closed his eyes. “I guess... I guess that the fact that they're gone and they'll never be coming back is- It's-” A lone ear slipped down his cheek and he tightened his hold on Dongwoo's hand, who tried to speak comforting words, “ It's ok, take your time. I'll be here, so don't worry.”

“Dongwoo, I'm scared. When the fire happened....” The older of the two withdrew his hand and placed it on his lap. “I felt like my world had collapsed. All I've ever really known was life with my family. And then they were gone; taken away from me in the blink of an eye. Dongwoo, I felt so lost. All I could think about was why I was still here...”
 
He looked at Dongwoo, eyes glassed over and distant. “Dongwoo, I don't want to be alone; I'm afraid to be alone. When I woke up here... I couldn't help but wonder what I was suppose to do anymore. I had nothing to look forward to in life; no one would be there for me anymore, and I had no one to be there for either. I had no future.” He looked out the window, his gaze followed by his guest, who also had a distant look in his eyes.

A comfortable silence fell between the two as they continued to stare out the window at the small children playing tips by the road. A small, almost nonexistent smile fell onto Dongwoo's lips.
 
You know, I thought about it a few times.” Dongwoo quirked his eyebrow and replaced his gaze onto the boy beside him. “What do you m-”

“Ending it all.”
 
Dongwoo's eyes largened to the size of a golf ball, and he quickly placed both his hands on his friend's shoulders; almost as if trying to steady himself rather than to ground Sunggyu. “Gyu, you ca-”

“I was scared to be by myself. But then I found someone.” Sunggyu lifted his hands to slowly release Dongwoo's grip on his shoulders. “I found this... This connection with you, Dongwoo, and- And it felt like something worth living for.” He looked down and felt the room heat up a little. “Dongwoo, you've been by my side for the past two months. You come here every day to keep me company even though I never held a conversation with you. You never gave up. And I think it gave me hope. Hope that there
would be someone there if I needed them; that I wouldn't be alone, and... And I think I like you a little bit more than I should.”

Sunggyu looked at the boy sitting across from him with this
look in his eyes; Dongwoo couldn't place his finger exactly on what it was, but he thought he glimpsed a hint of trust, as well as fear, and was that a dash of love? Another silence fell between the friends before Sunggyu looked down at his hands again, fiddling with his fingers.
 
I'm probably speaking too much all of a sudden. I mean, it's not like I've said anything to you for the past months.” He let out a humourless giggle, “ I'm rambling. I'll stop, just... You should lea-”

Sunggyu was pulled into an invitingly warm embrace, and he felt himself melt a little on the inside, wrapping his arms securely around Dongwoo's waist in return.

“You were never alone, Sunggyu.” Sunggyu tightened his hold on the younger. “You won't ever be alone, not as long as I'm here and I can help it. I'm not going to leave, trust me.” A small quirk of his lips, and Dongwoo continued, “And also, I think that maybe, I've grown to like you more than I should as well.”

Sunggyu felt a slight flush as he pulled back to look Dongwoo in the eye. “So... Then... You, and me, and-” He felt himself begin to smile, eyes turning into crescents, as he saw Dongwoo's head bop up and down quickly, the boy's lips stretched into his signature wide, gummy grin.
 
Yup. And I won't be leaving anytime. Not now, not ever.”

“Is that a promise?”

(약속이야?)
 
Yeah! That's a promise.”
(! 약속이다.)

 
With pinkies linked and a light dust of pink across both their cheeks, lips met lips in what would be considered one of the sweetest kisses of the century.


“Now I'm even more excited for you to be discharged,” Dongwoo said after pulling away, face still lightly flushed, but lips still pulled into an overwhelmingly bright smile. The older gave him a confused look, tilting his head to the side. “We can go on a date!”
 
Feeling himself smile, Sunggyu lay his forehead on the younger's shoulder. He was sure.

He'd be alright as long as Dongwoo was beside him.


 
******************


Wheeeee~ It's done!
I'm sorry if it didn't exactly turn out how you wanted it to xD I dunno what happened. I should really stick to writing whole fics in one sitting from now on xD That way it stays in the same context and stuff~

But anyways, Thank you if you stuck around, it means a lot, and I hope you enjoyed it (even just a little bit?) hahaha XDDD There really is a lack of Donggyu in the world. Like, a massive lack. LOL Just like hojong. Sad. You guys should write more~ :3

Thanks again, and leave a comment if you have some time?
As always, Happy Readings!
--K

AN3// Also, in regards to the lovely people who left me a few comments for part1+2, THANK YOU <3 LOL seriously, u guys made me smile. And omg, I would love for Dongwoo to be holding my hand when i woke up <3 LOL